Tamales: Frozen Or Fresh Or Canned

I found Hormel brand canned tamales at Foodland soi 5 a while back and bought their stock on the shelf...pigged out when I got home...

That is what I am looking for: Hormel canned tamales--put onions, cheddar cheese, chili and some salsa on top and you get...............a heart attack in 50 years :)

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

I found Hormel brand canned tamales at Foodland soi 5 a while back and bought their stock on the shelf...pigged out when I got home...

That is what I am looking for: Hormel canned tamales--put onions, cheddar cheese, chili and some salsa on top and you get...............a heart attack in 50 years :)

Yeah, but in 50 years I won't be here, so no heart attack, right. :D

Foodland Soi 5 is closed for the next few months for remodeling, so no joy there...

I haven't seen the Hormel canned variety myself...and I'm usually at least taking a glance around the chili and beans sections in the different markets to see what's on hand...

I'll keep an eye out....and report if I spot anything...

The Hormel thing is actually an interesting prospect... Hadn't thought of those in years!

Anything other than fresh tamalas are a waste of time and money. They need to be in corn husk not paper.

Well, yes and no. Fresh tamales in corn husks are great, but we do not always have access to fresh tamales. Try to find fresh tamales in Thailand. It is not easy. So, some of us want canned tamales or frozen tamales for a "quick fix." Hormel canned tamales are actually not very good, but I eat them simply because I am starving for tamales. Frozen tamales are much better, but I have never seen them in Thailand (easy to find back home in the USA). You just put the frozen ones in a microwave.

canned tamales are an emotional issue...cut to the back porch of his grandparents house summertime evenings in Nashville in the 50s with tutsi and his beloved grandpa listenin' to the ball game on the radio...grandpa's commentary between squirts of tobacco juice predominating...

we always had a can of tamales after the game before turning in fer the night...not too many mexicans or fresh tamales available in Nashville in the 50s...

canned tamales are an emotional issue...

aw, hell...:crying:

Anything other than fresh tamalas are a waste of time and money. They need to be in corn husk not paper.

Agree 100%. Having grown up in a town with a large Mexican population, I just can't bring myself to eat the canned garbage that passes for tamales. The last time I had fresh tamales was about a year and a half ago in East Los Angeles and they were incredible.

Wait ten years without a fresh tamale and see if you assessment of what you are willing to eat changes :) I do agree, the tamales in the can are a bit strange and far from authentic. East LA tamales must be wonderful. I have never eaten there. You would think that with a large population of expats in places like Bangkok and Pattaya some person would make tamales. I do know that Jorge of Tacos and Salsa has them on his menu in Bangkok. And one poster said Miguels in Chiang Mai serves them. Maybe Europeans do not like them.

I do not know if this will work for you, I thought twice about answering you post, I know there will be those that say that isn't Mexican food!

But for me it works, you need access to some red Chile sauce, you can make some from Thai plain dry crushed Chile powder, If you can make that or buy some canned enchilada sauce, and add some meat of your choice to the Chile sauce. I hope you have a Thai wife or friend that can make some fresh sticky rice and prepare some banana leaves.

Mix some Chile sauce into the sticky rice, get a banana leaf put some Chile & sticky rice mixture in the middle of the banana leaf and your Chile con carne a big spoonful in the middle and wrap like the Thai's wrap their sweets.

Then you place them in a steamer for about 45 minutes, "presto Sticky rice tamales".

I also make a sticky rice, 'tamale de elote or green corm tamales' from the state of Sonora or Arizona. If you like them hot add Thai crush red birds eye Chile ( or a little red Chile sauce) to the sticky rice. Buy some long light green Chiles from the local farmers market , put them over the fire to blacken the skins, place the Chiles in a plastic zip lock bag. it is easier to take the skin off the chile's. Cut the Chile into strips and place some sticky rice with Chile in the middle of a banana leaf, and some Chile strips to your taste and add a piece of cheddar cheese in the sticky rice and Chile, wrap and steam as above.

My wife makes a good size pot of them and I put them in serving sizes in a zip lock freezer bag , freeze them and eat them ,when I want.

Not bad for making what you want from local ingredients, readily available,

I am from old Mexico and they work for me, If its something that might work for you let me know and I can give you a recipe for making the Chile con carne.

Cheers

Kikoman

the 'my grandpa with canned tamales' story was a sentimental aside, a pleasant memory from childhood...

for the real thing in CA...there was a guy that sold tamales of two types from a cart outside a beat liquor store where I useta work in San Jose not far from my office...the real item, freshly made and wrapped in corn husks and I useta get 2 or 3 and a tall bud for my lunch sometimes and sit in the parking lot and consume...later after work I would go back to the same liquor store to get a couple of buds for the drive back to my digs in Berkeley (the tamale guy was gone by then) that I shared with my bipolar (schizophrenic) and heavily sedated house mates; they were a couple that were deeply in love and endearingly crazy except when they went off their medication...

I arrive and barge thru the door where my house mate Betty calmly inquires: 'and how was your day, tutsi?' and I'd say: 'let me tell ye about them tamales that I had fer lunch...'

tamales figure large in the tutsiwarrior worldwide archipelago...

the 'my grandpa with canned tamales' story was a sentimental aside, a pleasant memory from childhood...

for the real thing in CA...there was a guy that sold tamales of two types from a cart outside a beat liquor store where I useta work in San Jose not far from my office...the real item, freshly made and wrapped in corn husks and I useta get 2 or 3 and a tall bud for my lunch sometimes and sit in the parking lot and consume...later after work I would go back to the same liquor store to get a couple of buds for the drive back to my digs in Berkeley (the tamale guy was gone by then) that I shared with my bipolar (schizophrenic) and heavily sedated house mates; they were a couple that were deeply in love and endearingly crazy except when they went off their medication...

I arrive and barge thru the door where my house mate Betty calmly inquires: 'and how was your day, tutsi?' and I'd say: 'let me tell ye about them tamales that I had fer lunch...'

tamales figure large in the tutsiwarrior worldwide archipelago...

Tutsiwarrier: I loved the story about your sentimental relationship with tamales :) It is interesting how certain foods bring back good memories. What kinds of tamales would you like to eat if they were available in Thailand?

Kikoman: You are Mexican? You no doubt know how to make good tamales. The version you talked about with rice sounds very Asian (actually Chinese) to me. What kinds of tamales would you like to eat if they were available in Thailand?

I am Mexican, I would like to eat "tamales de elote" from the state of Sonora in Mexico, and in Arizona the only state in the U.S. I found them they are known as "Green corn tamales".

When I lived in Los Angeles, we made an imitation green corn tamales but used masa in place of the green corn, L.A. where green corn is not available. the filling of this tamal is (New Mexico hot) green chile and Queso (Cheese).

I have been in Thailand 10 years now, I grew my own Mexican corn, which I use for corn tortillas, Menudo and Posole, tamales would use to much of my corn as, I only have a small corn field on my, one rai property.

Actually the Sticky rice tamale is my Thai wife's Idea, as she makes me chile con carne, which I always have in the freezer. She said I can make the same out of sticky rice, (after I used some of my tortilla masa and made a few tamales).

She did it and since then made the improvement by adding chile sauce to the rice to cover the rice taste. As I say it works for me.

I just thought the idea might interest you, My brothers wife in Na Bua Dang also make them that way, they are nowhere near the tamales my mother and sisters made back in Sonora. But all the fixings are readily available in my village market.

Cheers

Kikoman

Edited by kikoman

I am Mexican, I would like to eat "tamales de elote" from the state of Sonora in Mexico, and in Arizona the only state in the U.S. I found them they are known as "Green corn tamales".

When I lived in Los Angeles, we made an imitation green corn tamales but used masa in place of the green corn, L.A. where green corn is not available. the filling of this tamal is (New Mexico hot) green chile and Queso (Cheese).

I have been in Thailand 10 years now, I grew my own Mexican corn, which I use for corn tortillas, Menudo and Posole, tamales would use to much of my corn as, I only have a small corn field on my, one rai property.

Actually the Sticky rice tamale is my Thai wife's Idea, as she makes me chile con carne, which I always have in the freezer. She said I can make the same out of sticky rice, (after I used some of my tortilla masa and made a few tamales).

She did it and since then made the improvement by adding chile sauce to the rice to cover the rice taste. As I say it works for me.

I just thought the idea might interest you, My brothers wife in Na Bua Dang also make them that way, they are nowhere near the tamales my mother and sisters made back in Sonora. But all the fixings are readily available in my village market.

Cheers

Kikoman

I have never eaten tamales de elote. I did a Google search. They look great! Sort of a green tint to them. One recipe said add canned green chiles and monterray jack cheese for ingredients. I am sure I would love them if not too hot. The Asian tamale is interesting, but the tamales de elote are far more interesting to me. Gracias amigo!

a key ingredient in making tamales is masa and there have been many threads about availability of masa in Thailand...most mexican restaurants in Thailand have been able to source masa and a good arrangement would be if a restauranteur were to offer a range of items including tamales, enchiladas and other stuff requiring masa as an ingredient in the frozen food section of supermarkets...then maybe we could get the thais interested with som tam tamales, gang som tamales, larb mu tamales and etc and a tamale craze would sweep the nation; red shirts and yellow shirts would fergit their differences and sit down together and enjoy while a thai mariachi band croons softly in the background...

otherwise I can get by with the canned variety...:)

a key ingredient in making tamales is masa and there have been many threads about availability of masa in Thailand...most mexican restaurants in Thailand have been able to source masa and a good arrangement would be if a restauranteur were to offer a range of items including tamales, enchiladas and other stuff requiring masa as an ingredient in the frozen food section of supermarkets...then maybe we could get the thais interested with som tam tamales, gang som tamales, larb mu tamales and etc and a tamale craze would sweep the nation; red shirts and yellow shirts would fergit their differences and sit down together and enjoy while a thai mariachi band croons softly in the background...

otherwise I can get by with the canned variety...:)

Tamales for peace :) Why not as nothing else seems to be working :) Thais do eat something similar to what Kikoman makes with the rice. They also eat corn. Surely somebody could make a masa tamale that Thais will eat. Speaking of grandmoms and old dishes, my grandmother would make corn meal using field corn. She would grind it almost into a power but still a bit coarse. Then she would mix it with hot water and cook it a bit. Then she would add it to meat stew in spoonfuls. The result was something that had a similar texture as a masa tamale, but not identical. I think you could make a tamale-like-tamale using ground corn without the extra processing. I know I would like it. But not sure about others. You could add beef or pork or chicken or cheese/peppers (like Kikoman pointed out), steam them in banana leaves or corn husks. I am hungry now!

Awohalistsiltoli,

Are you Native American? I agree with you tamales for peace, make them, buy them, eat them as you like. I also agree with you that Thais will eat Mexican Food, my mother-in law loves 'Frijoles de La Olla' (Mexican beans in broth) when I make them I add Smoked pork, ground birdseye chile, garlic, onion and spieces. I eat them like that, when they are fresh made, before mashing them and making Frijoles refritos. My Thai familly eats a lot of my food, they especially like my underground pit meat (pork or beef). My Thai Brother in law and I, are talking about making a cows head in the underground pit, Cabreza de Res.

Mexican's have a lot in common with Thai's using like Ingredient/ taste in preparing food.

Cheers;

Kikoman :)

Awohalistsiltoli,

Are you Native American? I agree with you tamales for peace, make them, buy them, eat them as you like. I also agree with you that Thais will eat Mexican Food, my mother-in law loves 'Frijoles de La Olla' (Mexican beans in broth) when I make them I add Smoked pork, ground birdseye chile, garlic, onion and spieces. I eat them like that, when they are fresh made, before mashing them and making Frijoles refritos. My Thai familly eats a lot of my food, they especially like my underground pit meat (pork or beef). My Thai Brother in law and I, are talking about making a cows head in the underground pit, Cabreza de Res.

Mexican's have a lot in common with Thai's using like Ingredient/ taste in preparing food.

Cheers;

Kikoman :)

Cherokee ancestry but heavily mixed with "Gringo" :) so can't say I am a 100% Native American Indian. Good luck with the food.

HEY! :realangry: Ise ethnic indigenous too by way of my mom's family...my great aunt (who thought that I was a cute little boy) did not speak Spanish, only Quechua and only wore ethnic clothing in the Cochabamba countryside...to complete the comment there are tamal type eats in the andes and they are called humitas, a ground corn mixture with fillings, some sweet wrapped in corn husks always prepared for religeous holidays

http://www.cuzcoeats.com/2011/04/women-warriors-corn-humintas/

down the hatch

I [always] have some frozen tamales in my freezer and surprised that no one has mentioned this brand.....'El Charro home made Sonora Mexico' is the only English on the lable and the rest is in Thai. Bought in Rimping supermarket in CM. @ 3 for 150thb. wrapped in corn husks too, but I think they use yellow corn instead of real masa. Good quick lunch in the microwave.

They are actually quite tasty....pork or chicken and have a little plastic bag of sauce.

yeah, real masa flour.....I have friends bring a 5 lb bag when they come over to visit and I hoard it.

I've even gone as far as growing my own corn [hikory dent] and the whole nexamilization process....came out great, but soo much work.

I [always] have some frozen tamales in my freezer and surprised that no one has mentioned this brand.....'El Charro home made Sonora Mexico' is the only English on the lable and the rest is in Thai. Bought in Rimping supermarket in CM. @ 3 for 150thb. wrapped in corn husks too, but I think they use yellow corn instead of real masa. Good quick lunch in the microwave.

They are actually quite tasty....pork or chicken and have a little plastic bag of sauce.

yeah, real masa flour.....I have friends bring a 5 lb bag when they come over to visit and I hoard it.

I've even gone as far as growing my own corn [hikory dent] and the whole nexamilization process....came out great, but soo much work.

Thanks for the information. It makes me wonder why CM seems to have all the good Mexican food. But 150 baht for three small tamales is way over the top. Still, I would pay it if they had it in Bangkok or Pattaya and smother them with Hormel chili, cheese, and onions. Will look up El Charro to find locations.....

Thanks for the information. It makes me wonder why CM seems to have all the good Mexican food. But 150 baht for three small tamales is way over the top. Still, I would pay it if they had it in Bangkok or Pattaya and smother them with Hormel chili, cheese, and onions. Will look up El Charro to find locations.....

Just looked them up and they are in Bangkok! I wonder if you can just drop by and purchase all of their tamales. Has anyone visited this place? If so, what do they have?

El Charro Mex-Thai Co.Ltd.357/6 Ladprao 122, Ladprao Road, Wangtonglang, Bangkok 10310

Look at what they have:

HOMINY (FRESH)

CORN FLOUR (FRESH)

REFRIED BEANS

MOLE POBLANO

FROZEN CORN TORTILLAS

TACO SHELLS 6

TACO SHELLS

TOSTADA CORN SHELLS

FROZEN CORN TORTILLAS

SALSA MEXICANA (MILD MEXICAN SAUCE)

SALSA VERDE (MEDIUM HOT GREEN MEXICAN SAUCE)

SALSA ROJA (HOT RED MEXICAN SAUCE)

SALSA PARA ENCHILADAS (ENCHILADAS MEXICAN SAUCE)

SLICED CHILLIES IN VINEGAR (THAI CHILLIES JALAPENO STYLE)16OZ X 12

F1FROZEN FLOUR TORTILLAS 4"10 X 24

S20SLICED MEXICAN CHILLIES (JALAPENO STYLE)16OZ X 12

F5FROZEN FLOUR TORTILLAS 10"10 X 24

F2FROZEN FLOUR TORTILLAS REGULAR 6"10 X 24

C6CORN CHIPS ORIGINAL200GR. X 25

C7CORN CHIPS SALTED200GR. X 25

C8CORN CHIPS SALTY SALTY200GR. X 25

F3FROZEN FLOUR TORTILLAS REGULAR 8"10 X 24

O30TAMALES PORK5 PCS. X 12

O32TAMALES CHICKEN5 PCS. X 12

C11CORN CHIPS ONION/GALIC FLAVOR200GR. X 25

O31TAMALES BEEF5 PCS. X 12

C12CORN CHIPS HOT & SPICY200GR. X 25

O28QUESADILLAS BEANS WITH CHEESE 4"12 PCS. X 12

S14MOLE ROJO (RED MOLE SAUCE)16OZ X 12

O22ENCHILADAS CHICKEN 4"6 PCS. X 12

O15BURRITOS PORK (big size)5 PCS. X 12

O17BURRITOS CHICKEN (big size)5 PCS. X 12

C9CORN CHIPS FROZEN ORIGINAL (Machine cut 6 pieces )500GR. X 25

O16BURRITOS BEEF (big size)5 PCS. X 12

O18BURRITOS BEANS WITH CHEESE (big size)5 PCS. X 12

O19CHIMICHANGAS PORK (big size)5 PCS. X 12

O21CHIMICHANGAS CHICKEN (big size)5 PCS. X 12

O20CHIMICHANGAS BEEF (big size)5 PCS. X 12

F6FROZEN FLOUR TORTILLAS 12"10 X 24

O29QUESADILLAS HAM WITH CHEESE 4"12 PCS. X 12

O23ENCHILADAS CHEESE 4"6 PCS. X 12

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

Just looked them up and they are in Bangkok! I wonder if you can just drop by and purchase all of their tamales. Has anyone visited this place? If so, what do they have?

El Charro Mex-Thai Co.Ltd.357/6 Ladprao 122, Ladprao Road, Wangtonglang, Bangkok 10310

Look at what they have:

HOMINY (FRESH)

Wow, if you make it there, ask if they have real [or fresh] masa flour.....preferably dried flour because the fresh is quite perrishable and only is good for a few days in the fridge. And do they do retail mail order??

CORN FLOUR (FRESH)

REFRIED BEANS

MOLE POBLANO

FROZEN CORN TORTILLAS

TACO SHELLS 6

TACO SHELLS

TOSTADA CORN SHELLS

FROZEN CORN TORTILLAS

SALSA MEXICANA (MILD MEXICAN SAUCE)

SALSA VERDE (MEDIUM HOT GREEN MEXICAN SAUCE)

SALSA ROJA (HOT RED MEXICAN SAUCE)

SALSA PARA ENCHILADAS (ENCHILADAS MEXICAN SAUCE)

SLICED CHILLIES IN VINEGAR (THAI CHILLIES JALAPENO STYLE)16OZ X 12

F1FROZEN FLOUR TORTILLAS 4"10 X 24

S20SLICED MEXICAN CHILLIES (JALAPENO STYLE)16OZ X 12

F5FROZEN FLOUR TORTILLAS 10"10 X 24

F2FROZEN FLOUR TORTILLAS REGULAR 6"10 X 24

C6CORN CHIPS ORIGINAL200GR. X 25

C7CORN CHIPS SALTED200GR. X 25

C8CORN CHIPS SALTY SALTY200GR. X 25

F3FROZEN FLOUR TORTILLAS REGULAR 8"10 X 24

O30TAMALES PORK5 PCS. X 12

O32TAMALES CHICKEN5 PCS. X 12

C11CORN CHIPS ONION/GALIC FLAVOR200GR. X 25

O31TAMALES BEEF5 PCS. X 12

C12CORN CHIPS HOT & SPICY200GR. X 25

O28QUESADILLAS BEANS WITH CHEESE 4"12 PCS. X 12

S14MOLE ROJO (RED MOLE SAUCE)16OZ X 12

O22ENCHILADAS CHICKEN 4"6 PCS. X 12

O15BURRITOS PORK (big size)5 PCS. X 12

O17BURRITOS CHICKEN (big size)5 PCS. X 12

C9CORN CHIPS FROZEN ORIGINAL (Machine cut 6 pieces )500GR. X 25

O16BURRITOS BEEF (big size)5 PCS. X 12

O18BURRITOS BEANS WITH CHEESE (big size)5 PCS. X 12

O19CHIMICHANGAS PORK (big size)5 PCS. X 12

O21CHIMICHANGAS CHICKEN (big size)5 PCS. X 12

O20CHIMICHANGAS BEEF (big size)5 PCS. X 12

F6FROZEN FLOUR TORTILLAS 12"10 X 24

O29QUESADILLAS HAM WITH CHEESE 4"12 PCS. X 12

O23ENCHILADAS CHEESE 4"6 PCS. X 12

OK, here's the deal....

Interesting...interesting... El Charro is run by a husband and wife couple... Thai guy and Mexican woman...sounds like mainly the Mexican wife, according to her husband...

They will and do accept private (non-restaurant/food industry) orders, though it sounds like they haven't done a lot of that up until now... Of course, they don't have their own web site or show room, so how would anyone know....

Their office is open 8 am to 5 pm Monday to Saturday...and people can call in orders for delivery, using the office number listed in the link above. They'll deliver pretty much anywhere. For deliveries inside Bangkok, they'll do their own delivery and for free with a 1500 baht minimum order. At least for the BKK orders, it's just pay cash on receipt.

For outside Bangkok, there's a delivery fee for third-party shipping that will depend on what's required, such as whether it needs refrigeration/dry ice or not.

I asked, and the husband also said people can pickup orders from their factory in the Lad Prao area if it's more convenient...though he suggested still calling ahead and placing the order by phone...to give them time to arrange and have it ready. Their Lad Prao location is just a factory set-up... not intended for retail.

They're supposed to be emailing me an order and price list, and I'll post it here as soon as it arrives...

Their regular office staff doesn't speak much English... perhaps enough to execute an order and get the address right... not sure about that, from my initial call. But they ended up conference calling me in with the husband co-owner, Khun Chakrin, who speaks fine English... And although his wife is away on travel right now, he said she'll be back in a couple weeks and suggested English speakers use her as a point of contact. Her name is Faustina.

Edited by jfchandler

Great work guys.....I don't know how they would ship frozen tamales, but maybe other items to CM or other places out in the sticks?? Maybe air freight in dry ice for frozen things??

I would order a bunch of tamales if I can get them for a better price than Rimping supermarket in CM sells @ 150 for 3 pieces.

I don't know about the pricing... Hopefully that will be included in the products list they're supposed to be emailing me later this afternoon...

But as for shipping, the husband specifically mentioned shipping stuff packed in dry ice when I asked him about whether they can handle deliveries outside of BKK... So clearly that's within their capability... Though to CM, they wouldn't handle the delivery themselves... I'm assuming they'd send via EMS or something similar and you'd pay the cost for that in addition to the order cost.

For small orders outside of BKK, the cost of delivery might well outweigh the alternative of buying something already available in a local supermarket... But El Charro appears to have quite an extensive products list, so the real advantage for folks outside of BKK would be in being able to order things NOT available locally.

Edited by jfchandler

Here's your answer for tamales... three varieties... sold in cases of 12 packages per case... 96 baht per package.

I just got their price list...as a somewhat complicated Excel spreadsheet... I'm going to convert it to a Adobe Reader pdf file and post the full thing here...

Meanwhile, here's the excerpt re their tamales...

post-53787-0-24090700-1309769270_thumb.j

Interestingly, despite what the husband told me earlier about a 1500 baht minimum order for delivery, the actual price sheet says 1000 baht minimum in BKK (including free delivery) and 2000 baht minimum outside BKK (not including delivery charges).

Edited by jfchandler