Three US Men Plead Guilty To Luring 600 Thai Farm Workers To US Farms

webfact

Three men plead guilty in largest human trafficking case in U.S.

WASHINGTON D.C. (BNO NEWS) -- Three U.S. men on Wednesday pleaded guilty to human trafficking charges in the largest case of its kind in the country's history, the U.S. Justice Department announced.

Bruce Schwartz, 53, pleaded guilty to conspiring to commit forced labor while co-defendants Sam Wongsesanit, 40, and Shane Germann, 42, pleaded guilty to conspiring to commit document servitude.

The three defendants were involved in the largest human trafficking scheme in the U.S. involving the Los Angeles-based recruiting company Global Horizons. The illegal operation exploited approximately 600 Thai workers.

"These defendants pleaded guilty to participating in the largest human trafficking scheme ever seen by the Department of Justice," said Thomas Perez, Assistant Attorney General for the Civil Rights Division.

On January 18, a superseding indictment charged eight defendants in connection to the scheme to lure about 600 Thai nationals to enter the United States under the federal agricultural guest worker program between 2001 and 2007.

According to the indictment, the defendants conspired to coerce the agricultural labor and services of the Thai nationals by fraudulent means. The workers were induced to incur substantial debts secured by the workers' homes and family land.

Furthermore, the defendants confiscated the workers' passports and threatened to repatriate the victims to face destitution, homelessness and other serious harm if they did not remain in the defendants' service in exchange for meager earnings.

"Through successful prosecution of those who take advantage of immigrant workers, we strive to ensure that the U.S. continues to be a land of economic opportunity, as it has for generations of workers preceding them," said Florence Nakakuni, U.S. Attorney for the District of Hawaii.

Schwartz, Wongsesanit and Germann are awaiting sentencing and each face maximum sentences of five years in prison. Another co-defendant, Podjanee Sinchai, was charged and convicted in Thailand with recruitment fraud and sentenced to four years in prison.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-06-16

With it being so hard to get a dam_n Visa for most Thais to go to the USA, it amazes me these people were able to get 600 Thais over there to exploit. I don't even think a farming company in Texas, Arizona or California could work this out for Mexican workers just across the border.

Edited by Nisa

Here in Singapore, employers use man power from India.

These workers in India are represented ( put forward ) by an agent, whose fee is around 5k - 7k SG$, who arranges immigration requirements and interviews.

When they get a contract (usually 2 years), the agent takes their cut.

With the wages that the workers are paid here it takes them about 8 months to pay the agent fee. This is while they have to feed and clothe themselves as well as being unable to send money home to support their families.

This is totally legal here and is totally disgusting.

With it being so hard to get a dam_n Visa for most Thais to go to the USA, it amazes me these people were able to get 600 Thais over there to exploit. I don't even think a farming company in Texas, Arizona or California could work this out for Mexican workers just across the border.

Probably with the help of corrupt US officials administering the "federal agricultural guest worker program". Hope that scum get the max.

THERE ARE ALWAYS LOOP HOLES THE CRIMINALS HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE TO EXPLOIT .

I think 4 and 5 years is a low term for such a crime . :realangry:

THERE ARE ALWAYS LOOP HOLES THE CRIMINALS HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE TO EXPLOIT .

I think 4 and 5 years is a low term for such a crime . :realangry:

Yes, something sounds off. Thankfully it is not for me to judge how long somebody should be incarcerated but being a little familiar with the law and sentencing in the US, it would seem these folks are fairly connected.

Each one of the 600 Thais were victims, according to news reports. So, even if they only took one criminal charge related to the treatment of the 600 victims, it would be 600 charges for that one criminal code. Doing a little math shows that a 5 year sentence is equivalent to being sentenced to 3-days each per victim. These guys were sentenced to less than what some people are sentenced to helping willing Mexicans to illegally come to the US.

I was just looking up other trafficking sentences in the US and sadly most sentences are rather light unless child sex is involved or the accused isn't from the US.

Here is one (http://blogs.kansascity.com/crime_scene/2011/05/key-figure-in-kc-human-trafficking-ring-sentenced-to-12-years.htm) that I thought interesting because it involved more than 1,000 worker / victims and the guy was just sentenced last month. So, how does 600 Thais rate as the worst case????

That is disgusting and you would not think that 600 goes to farm in USA so easy.Getting in the country so easy as long in the company of Americans.4 to 5years in prison is a Joke.

However, 4-5 years is a long time to constantly look over your shoulder for fear of the next butt raping session, random beating, or possible stabbing.

wink.gif

I think they deserve that much for each and every one of the 600. Think of the lives of innocent people that got messed up for their individual greed as well as all the others doing the same thing and 'living good' at the expense of all those who mortgaged their land and home for an opportunith to better themselves, and haven't been caught and are still messing up lives (and living the "hi so" lifestyle).

I met my Thai wife of 15 years in Los Angeles working in a sweat-shop there and it got busted just after the 'infamous' El Monte sweat-shop got busted - fortunately for her she was spending the night with me at the time of the bust.

That 4 years is about all that the El Monte shop owners got as well as her bosses. After being given credit for 'time served awaiting trial' They only had a short time to serve after sentencing. You can just imagine how anxious they were to plead guilty when offered such light sentenses. And the prosecution didn't have to lift a finger or get up off their fat/lazy taxpayer paid butts. Does anyone out there want to defend our American Legal System?????????? What is the deterrent to violate the law for personal gain??????????? There is none!!!!!!!!!

I've noticed on forums like this that the layman usually comes up with the harshest punishment imaginable for most crimes. It actually makes me glad that that there are lawmakers, judges, etc. who see the right path and come up with fairer sentences.

I don't think the average person has a concept of what even a day in prison is like. We're talking about regular people who aren't hardened ending up sobbing like a little girl after day one. Most criminals go into jail as dangerous people and come out worse. And, that's not even touching on the "Bubba" effect, know what I mean?

I think if somebody gets 3, 4, or 5 years in one of these places they can easily come out very wrecked. And, don't forget that many of these people can't get work after leaving prison and they end up right back in there.

It's a pretty nasty thing to get sentenced like that, nasty enough that many people feel that it should be different b/c the harshness of it doesn't seem to do anybody any good, only harm.

Think about it. wink.gif

Perhaps some of the western posters in this forum who are constant in their dissing of Thailand and other SE Asian countries can appreciate that their own backyards are often not so clean, either.

How ironic are you...this case is a testament to the sensibilities and legal system of the US. Read up a few posts of how alien workers are treated in Singapore, and it's legal. Find another country that protects foreign workers this way. Very few, but you can bet they are all western.

I've noticed on forums like this that the layman usually comes up with the harshest punishment imaginable for most crimes. It actually makes me glad that that there are lawmakers, judges, etc. who see the right path and come up with fairer sentences.

I don't think the average person has a concept of what even a day in prison is like. We're talking about regular people who aren't hardened ending up sobbing like a little girl after day one. Most criminals go into jail as dangerous people and come out worse. And, that's not even touching on the "Bubba" effect, know what I mean?

I think if somebody gets 3, 4, or 5 years in one of these places they can easily come out very wrecked. And, don't forget that many of these people can't get work after leaving prison and they end up right back in there.

It's a pretty nasty thing to get sentenced like that, nasty enough that many people feel that it should be different b/c the harshness of it doesn't seem to do anybody any good, only harm.

Think about it. wink.gif

+1.

Having both worked in U.S. jails, and had loved ones incarcerated, I can say you are absolutely right. Sadly you will not likely find rational debate on this subject in a forum such as this. It's known that after about the 10 year mark people are usually not able to return to a functional, normal life again. People tend to only focus on the "punishment" wishing suffering on the prisoner with no thought about what is to come of them after they are released. Education of prisoners seems abhorrent to many. Very short term thinking.

One can only wonder what their sentence would be if they had basically kidnapped and created a forced slavery atmosphere with just 1 American citizen instead of 600 Thais.

And what about fines? This case along with now taking care of these 600 Thais has cost US taxpayers millions of dollars.

Edited by Nisa

Think about it. wink.gif

That is just slavery after all. Who cares about the 600 lives messed up?

People who are doing this kind of scams should get what they deserve. You cannot sentence a guilty man on what could happen to him in jail.

<_<

Think about it. wink.gif

+1.

Having both worked in U.S. jails, and had loved ones incarcerated, I can say you are absolutely right. Sadly you will not likely find rational debate on this subject in a forum such as this. It's known that after about the 10 year mark people are usually not able to return to a functional, normal life again. People tend to only focus on the "punishment" wishing suffering on the prisoner with no thought about what is to come of them after they are released. Education of prisoners seems abhorrent to many. Very short term thinking.

thumbsup.gif

Interesting to hear it from the horse's mouth as it were. Let's hope the guys who did this don't come out of prison as even worse criminals.

Think about it. wink.gif

+1.

thumbsup.gif

Interesting to hear it from the horse's mouth as it were. Let's hope the guys who did this don't come out of prison as even worse criminals.

No doubt jails, state prisons and Federal Penitentiaries are generally horrific places to be but it is almost certain that these people are going to a minimum security federal prison 'camp' where they can receive graduate degrees in much shorter time than on the outside while also not paying for the education. They will receive well well balanced meals and live better than many people in the US including likely having access to such things as cable TV and tennis courts not to mention gyms. Lets not forget these folks also appear to be able to keep the millions upon millions of dollars they made off of forcing these folks into slavery.

I believe there needs to be serious prison reform in the US as well as curbing the number of people sentenced to time BUT this sentence is ridiculous and incredibly unfair to people being sentenced to much longer sentences for doing much less harm. The ring leader got convicted of forced labor as if he did this to one person and not 600. In another words under Federal Sentencing guidelines somebody who committed forced labor on 1 person will receive this same sentence. But again, the real joke is the lack of restitution to the victims and the state and letting these scum keep their illegal profits which I doubt they paid any tax on either.

Think about it. wink.gif

+1.

thumbsup.gif

No doubt jails, state prisons and Federal Penitentiaries are generally horrific places to be but it is almost certain that these people are going to a minimum security federal prison 'camp' where they can receive graduate degrees in much shorter time than on the outside while also not paying for the education. They will receive well well balanced meals and live better than many people in the US including likely having access to such things as cable TV and tennis courts not to mention gyms. Lets not forget these folks also appear to be able to keep the millions upon millions of dollars they made off of forcing these folks into slavery.

I believe there needs to be serious prison reform in the US as well as curbing the number of people sentenced to time BUT this sentence is ridiculous and incredibly unfair to people being sentenced to much longer sentences for doing much less harm. The ring leader got convicted of forced labor as if he did this to one person and not 600. In another words under Federal Sentencing guidelines somebody who committed forced labor on 1 person will receive this same sentence. But again, the real joke is the lack of restitution to the victims and the state and letting these scum keep their illegal profits which I doubt they paid any tax on either.

Definitely valid points all if these guys essentially get sent to a fenced in country club. But, has it been stated anywhere where they are being jailed?

Definitely valid points all if these guys essentially get sent to a fenced in country club. But, has it been stated anywhere where they are being jailed?

Based on numerous factors it is pretty much a guarantee they will NOT do time in a Federal Penitentiary (max. security) and will serve their sentence out in a minimum security (called a camp) facility with white collar criminals. The minimum security facilities don't even have cells, it is dormitory style living and they can pretty much walk away (escape) any time they want. They also will have about 15% of their sentence reduced for good time. Keep in mind this is The Federal Prison system and they don't have jails. They only have what they term Detention Facilities (bad places) where you are held before sentencing and then basically 4 levels of the Prison System .. minimum, low, medium and high security.

The way they determine where you are housed is based on a point system .. example, if you don't have a High School Diploma it adds 2 points and if your offense is minor you get 0 points but depending on the severity of the crime it could add up to 7 points while not having a criminal past will give you 0 points but having an extensive criminal past can get you 10 points. To be sentenced to a a camp you simply need to be below 11 points. Oh, and they even consider things like age .. somebody under 25 gets 6 points while somebody over 55 gets 0 points.

In other words, they try to keep the worst prisons reserved for the poor minorities who are young and lack an education and often stopped by the police and cannot afford a lawyer to take what should be at least 600 charges of abuse and get it down to basically 1 white collar crime when all is said and done.

Edited by Nisa

Based on numerous factors it is pretty much a guarantee they will NOT do time in a Federal Penitentiary (max. security) and will serve their sentence out in a minimum security (called a camp) facility with white collar criminals. The minimum security facilities don't even have cells, it is dormitory style living and they can pretty much walk away (escape) any time they want. They also will have about 15% of their sentence reduced for good time. Keep in mind this is The Federal Prison system and they don't have jails. They only have what they term Detention Facilities (bad places) where you are held before sentencing and then basically 4 levels of the Prison System .. minimum, low, medium and high security.

The way they determine where you are housed is based on a point system .. example, if you don't have a High School Diploma it adds 2 points and if your offense is minor you get 0 points but depending on the severity of the crime it could add up to 7 points while not having a criminal past will give you 0 points but having an extensive criminal past can get you 10 points. To be sentenced to a a camp you simply need to be below 11 points. Oh, and they even consider things like age .. somebody under 25 gets 6 points while somebody over 55 gets 0 points.

In other words, they try to keep the worst prisons reserved for the poor minorities who are young and lack an education and often stopped by the police and cannot afford a lawyer to take what should be at least 600 charges of abuse and get it down to basically 1 white collar crime when all is said and done.

Well, I think we're all in agreement that it's a system badly in need of reform. I also heard that, in some cases anyway, prison labor is a multi-billion dollar business that basically doesn't have to pay its staff. We used to call it indentured servitude or sometimes slavery, right?

Post removed

I guess you just woke up.

You're not going make many friends on this forum with silly comments like that.

If you read my initial post, the money that can change hands with a ( false ) promise of an opportunity of sending lots of money home to support your family, can be seen as a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

As you are a newbie I,ll explain a little. A family in Thailand encompasses Mum and Dad, Auntes & Uncles, Brothers & Sisters and their children as well as thier children's children.

Now I,ll go further into the truth about the modern slave trade.

I am from the UK and have lived in Singapore for over 10 years.

A typical maid here ( Sri Lanka, India ,Indonesia, Philippines, --- in that order of level of pay ), gets about 350, upwards, of Singapore dollars a month. They have to work from early morning to very late at night.

I go to work at 6.15am every morning and there are maids washing and polishing Merc's and BMW's in the dark, sometimes when its raining, before their employers drive their kids to school or drive to work.

They have to care for every whim of their employers, which include, sorting old people ( some bed ridden ) out as well as naughty children that they have no power over. Some kids have disablitites also ....( I know this as my eldest daughter is mentally disabled and the " maid " that was always present at the school is their caregiver, they disclosed to my wife).

I feel so sorry for these women. You see them out on a Sunday with their slave driving employers ( your average Singaporean ), trying to cater for their spoilt kids as the parents stroll about window shopping Gucci and D&G products. Totally revolting, but its a social noramlity.

The average maid gets one day off a month.

They look totally destroyed and, basically, knackered.

If these girls had a better life at home, they would have stayed there......but many are seduced by the names and promises of the places they are heading for.

Such is the pressure of being fianancially sound in Singapore, the people here will naturally exploit their poor neighbours without raising an eyelid, in order to make their own family a secure and sucessful " unit". Generally, Singaporeans don't really have time to look after their old parents.

The reality is very, very, very sad and degrading.

The slave trade is alive and kicking in Singapore, Hong Kong ( knew a Phillipne girl who had been repeatably raped by her 65 year old employers brother.....I helped her get away from that nightmare ), Middle East.......

......the list goes on.

PLEASE WAKE UP.

Edited by Rimmer
Quoted reply of a deleted post

Well, I think we're all in agreement that it's a system badly in need of reform. I also heard that, in some cases anyway, prison labor is a multi-billion dollar business that basically doesn't have to pay its staff. We used to call it indentured servitude or sometimes slavery, right?

Agree!! And regarding prisoner slave labor ... The Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution states ...

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

It clearly states prisoners can be used as slaves.

I think they deserve that much for each and every one of the 600. Think of the lives of innocent people that got messed up for their individual greed as well as all the others doing the same thing and 'living good' at the expense of all those who mortgaged their land and home for an opportunith to better themselves, and haven't been caught and are still messing up lives (and living the "hi so" lifestyle).

I met my Thai wife of 15 years in Los Angeles working in a sweat-shop there and it got busted just after the 'infamous' El Monte sweat-shop got busted - fortunately for her she was spending the night with me at the time of the bust.

That 4 years is about all that the El Monte shop owners got as well as her bosses. After being given credit for 'time served awaiting trial' They only had a short time to serve after sentencing. You can just imagine how anxious they were to plead guilty when offered such light sentenses. And the prosecution didn't have to lift a finger or get up off their fat/lazy taxpayer paid butts. Does anyone out there want to defend our American Legal System?????????? What is the deterrent to violate the law for personal gain??????????? There is none!!!!!!!!!

4-5 years in an American prison is a pretty hefty fine, sir. Have you ever met anyone whose served more than a month in prison? Prison, not jail.

Probably with the help of corrupt US officials administering the "federal agricultural guest worker program". Hope that scum get the max.

This is a silly statement. US officials have much more lucrative opportunities than facilitating a 600 person farm program illegally. No doubt loopholes exist that allow bad people to scam a system set up in good conscience. Similar to the au pair program, consistently used in the same light.

Edited by mesohappy

Think about it. wink.gif

Agreed.