Samui Immigration (Sio) At It Again!

Last year after many complaints on the internet and through the mail to embassies and government officials, SIO put up a tariff board. This seemed to halt the extortion that was part of the rite of passage for those of us looking for a one-year-extension. Being charged anywhere from 5KB to 30KB for a 1.9KB extension was acceptable for some as simply TIT, but for others it was time to take a stand, which we did, and then felt vindicated when the prices were posted. Recently, several individuals have gone in for their extension and been charged 5KB, and even when they questioned why they were being charged more than the official price of 1.9KB, their passport was held until they paid the 5KB. I would like to hear from those who have filed for an extension in the last three months as to what was their experience.

I had an one year visa extension 1 month ago. I did not ask for the prize, but just gave them 1900 when I was handed over the passport.

There where no complaints for this amount of money and no question for more money. So my advice is; do not ask but hand over the right amount

(1900) and SMILE.

Last year after many complaints on the internet and through the mail to embassies and government officials, SIO put up a tariff board. This seemed to halt the extortion that was part of the rite of passage for those of us looking for a one-year-extension. Being charged anywhere from 5KB to 30KB for a 1.9KB extension was acceptable for some as simply TIT, but for others it was time to take a stand, which we did, and then felt vindicated when the prices were posted. Recently, several individuals have gone in for their extension and been charged 5KB, and even when they questioned why they were being charged more than the official price of 1.9KB, their passport was held until they paid the 5KB. I would like to hear from those who have filed for an extension in the last three months as to what was their experience.

Well I know of several people that have extended their visas & not one was over charged , maybe with the pictures cost but not as you describe it.

Secondly they can't hold your passport if it's all ok & approved.

Passport does not belong to you but to the issuing government. So a call to your embassy or Immigration in Bangkok might be required.

Unless these people were not fully eligible & had some rules flexed to accommodate their situation, well perhaps that is why they were charged more.

I just did retirement renewal today, no problems... although I wondered if the goal posts may have changed... so was nervous going in, I have to admit....

I did not even get an interview with Mr Nok.... there was a European in his office thumping the desk over some issue... not the way to go about business.... be nice and smile!!! :jap: :)

Just to be clear: It's 1900 baht if you do not plan on leaving the country... another 1900 baht if a one time exit / return required.... or for multiply exit and re-entry 3800 baht, plus the 1900 baht.... I double checked that on the board.

So you'll all have to put up with me for at least another year! :o:D:bah:

Edited by samuijimmy

Just to be clear: It's 1900 baht if you do not plan on leaving the country... another 1900 baht if a one time exit / return required.... or for multiply exit and re-entry 3800 baht, plus the 1900 baht.... I double checked that on the board.

A single re-entry permit should only be 1,000 baht - not 1,900 baht.

Sophon

Here is what was sent to me by someone fairly involved with Immigration on a regular basis.

The correct course of action is to place the correct fee into an envelope & place it on top of your application, that way there’s no loss of face as they (immigration) realise you (applicant) know the score. Anyone who mutters the immortal words “how much is that, officer?” after all the warnings of late deserves to be fleeced!

I am not aware of a single person experiencing probs if following the above.

Here is what was sent to me by someone fairly involved with Immigration on a regular basis.

The correct course of action is to place the correct fee into an envelope & place it on top of your application, that way there's no loss of face as they (immigration) realise you (applicant) know the score. Anyone who mutters the immortal words "how much is that, officer?" after all the warnings of late deserves to be fleeced!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

My wife and I run our own limited company and when we renewed my work permit in March this is exactly what she did, the correct fee placed in an envelope.

The correct course of action is to place the correct fee into an envelope & place it on top of your application, that way there's no loss of face as they (immigration) realise you (applicant) know the score. Anyone who mutters the immortal words "how much is that, officer?" after all the warnings of late deserves to be fleeced!

This is the post that everyone needs to read and duely follow the advice.

Strange Rooo, but i seldom read such wisdom in your posts!!!:D

Thank you Carmine flattery will get you everywhere with me. But if you read my original post:

Thank you Carmine flattery will get you everywhere with me. But if you read my original post:

I feel so let down. I was convinced that was from you.

A single re-entry permit should only be 1,000 baht - not 1,900 baht.

Sophon

Yes a single re entry permit will cost 1,000 Baht

I feel so let down. I was convinced that was from you.

Never mind Carmine, got to keep my record intact. We don't want to give people ideas now, do we?

Jimmy,

Go to your settings, top left hand corner. Scroll down to your attachments & see if it's there.

Poor sucker beat me to it... mine was from Krabi, about a month before they finally decided to put one up here....

Yes .... stand corrected one the one time exit visa price .... .. :blink:

The correct course of action is to place the correct fee into an envelope & place it on top of your application, that way theres no loss of face as they (immigration) realise you (applicant) know the score. Anyone who mutters the immortal words how much is that, officer? after all the warnings of late deserves to be fleeced!

====================================================================================================

I also received this same advice from a US Embassy official last year and followed it. SIO looked inside the envelope and asked what it was for and I said it was for the fee. He then said it wasn't enough and stormed out of the small back room only to return a few minutes later with my passport and extension stamp. I believe this is the correct way of paying this fee and I will do it again in August. I hope others also will do this so we can develop some solidarity. I just feel that after jumping through all their hoops and even exceeding the requirements, I still have to act like a drug dealer! Yes, I know the answer, TIT.

Edited by parallaxtech

Why anyone would put money in a envelope beats me. That custom is used for paying money under the table. Just hand to them that's the correct way.

John1, did you miss the part of 'nobody is losing face this way'?

What would happen when they call your name and the officer tell you there was only 1500 in the envelope? :rolleyes:

What would happen when they call your name and the officer tell you there was only 1500 in the envelope? :rolleyes:

You ask them to check it there and then. :blink:

Edited by carmine

I will never go there again, staff were a little abrupt BUT too be far a lot of non native English speakers (germans, russians, and that country beginning with I that is universally hated etc..) were more rude though so I take side with staff, "I want 30 day extension", "no maam, cant not do only 7 day" and so forth verbal abuse and stupid made up excuses, idiot falangs - make more difficult for those that know what on offer and want a quick turn around etc.., I got a really bad day were I wasted 4 hours for a 7 day extension, only used 6, next time overstay. Honestly if you were there that day (and Im sure its not isolated) you're attitude would be f the falangs..

Edited by devdrinker

• 1 month later...

Just an update for anyone who is getting their retirement/marriage/etc. one-year-extension anytime soon. I got mine today for the requisite 1,900B with no hassle or fuss for a change. I had prepared all the documents beforehand, made copies of everything, and put the envelope containing the 1,900B on the top. They did not smile or wai me and pretty much shoved the documents at me, but at least I didn't have to pay the 3,100B+++ tip that was customary in the past. I hope everyone will do the same so they will understand that we will only pay the amout required under Thai law.

Just an update for anyone who is getting their retirement/marriage/etc. one-year-extension anytime soon. I got mine today for the requisite 1,900B with no hassle or fuss for a change. I had prepared all the documents beforehand, made copies of everything, and put the envelope containing the 1,900B on the top. They did not smile or wai me and pretty much shoved the documents at me, but at least I didn't have to pay the 3,100B+++ tip that was customary in the past. I hope everyone will do the same so they will understand that we will only pay the amout required under Thai law.

Glad it all worked out for you this year. No wai or greeting? Don't worry they are public servants / Police force, Hi so's you & I are just plebs lol.

Glad it all worked out for you this year. No wai or greeting? Don't worry they are public servants / Police force, Hi So's you & I are just plebs lol.

I hate the immigration people, the latest incident came when I was going through immigration at the airport and that immigration officer who is also often down at the nathon office (he looks a bit like a hamster and thinks the uniform he wears allows him total power). He spoke to me like complete shit and took the piss out of my Mrs who was waving me off. When I spoke to the Mrs she confirmed what I had thought and said she had never heard such rudeness for no apparent reason. Total f'ing pig.