New Wheels

WinnieTheKhwai

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how easy would it be to take tuk tuk to another country to do a tour of southeast asia for example i have drempt of doing something like that for a while but didnt think you could just buy one never known how many peoples can sit in one legally does anyone know here would be good if go in group of people in there

That made no sense what so ever. Good effort though!

Yes, diesel engine 14 H.P.with electric start. Most of them down here use 10 H.P.. Belt driven, crank start. A deluge will not stop a diesel engine- no spark plugs, compression ignition.Only problem with rain, is I get drenched, and when you are moving, it gets very bloody cold. The photo shows my family loading Paddy, with a hired thresher in the background throwing out the rice straw.Songkran? Not a problem ,cannot stop the engine. Only problem is , if the belts get wet when the engine is NOT running ,they take a couple of minutes of running to dry them out, I.E. until they stop slipping

Edited by afarang

There was a traffic police tuk tuk parked at Kad Suan Kaew today, red flashing lights, the works with gun slinging BIB on board. Boy, they are really coming up in the world, the next thing we know they will be using vehicles with four wheels!

Has anyone else seen it?

Dave2 - any pictures mate?

Yeah, picture from Dave2 or it didn't happen!

Never seen one in our neck of the woods. Fascinating. I wonder if it "souped up" like they do with highway police , in some countries?

Edited by afarang

wtk

re ... But you can find non-taxi three wheeled vehicles around Chiang Mai as well

you can

uptheos

re ... There was a traffic police tuk tuk parked at Kad Suan Kaew today, red flashing lights,

the works with gun slinging BIB on board

this one ?

dave2 : )

post-42592-0-73607700-1308578627_thumb.j

post-42592-0-62739200-1308578654_thumb.j

post-42592-0-96663700-1308578683_thumb.j

wtk

re ... But you can find non-taxi three wheeled vehicles around Chiang Mai as well

you can

uptheos

re ... There was a traffic police tuk tuk parked at Kad Suan Kaew today, red flashing lights,

this one ?

No not that one Dave, but I'm sure you'll find it.

It was the same colour as the trucks and had Traffic police written on the side, with lights on the roof.

I wonder if it has a Ferrari engine?

wtk

you can

uptheos

this one ?

It looks to me ,as if it is illegally parked . Did you extract a charitable donation from him?

Sorry, but I have never heard of a place called "Patts". I looked in my road atlas and 2 other maps of Thailand. Cannot find any mention or reference to somewhere called "Patts'. Maybe you can enlighten me as to its location, and tell me why it is not on any map nor is it in my road atlas. By the way ,the generally accepted correct spelling of what we are called ,is FARANG., not ferang.Interesting you talk about Lotus. I believe our nearest Lotus is about 80 kilometers away. As I do not patronise it, I have no clue as to what it may or may not sell And yes , in the villages you do see FARANG carting the strangest things in their pick-ups. Keep smiling ,and being happy.

Patts was a small fishing village, now known as Pattaya. Bangers is Bkk, Buri Ram is Little Moscow to Bkk residents. Have you ever thought the Locals are laughing at You, not With You. As for the Topic that's the Mods business, anyway,Long Distance Tuk Tuk,is worth Googling lots of interesting tales.I am a Jungle Jim and have been one here for 27 Years ferang free. I might be lured out for a Buri Ram Pie though.:D

"The locals are laughing at you?" Absolutely not. I have been around the block enough times to know when some one is" taking the mickey' The affection is very genuine. And spontaneous . And Universal. You should be smart enough to work out why they love a Farang driving an Etan

• 3 weeks later...

I will never understand why anyone would buy a Tuk tuk for personal use.

But thanks for spreading the information. I am certain some redneck will want one.

Always when i run into a post of yours,its an proof of what kind of xxxxxxxxx you are!

A tuktuk,can be useful for many things.its much cheaper than a car if you have to transport your groceries or maybe you have a few dogs that you would like to take for a walk etc etc

Not everybody comes to thailand with pockets full of money just to spend 600000 baht up for a car only to ride to tesco or take his dogs for a walk!

And that you will never understand this just shows how smart you are!!

And now go to the city and take some pictures of people that work illegal in this country so you can report them to the authorities!(we know you!)

Newbie has long red fat curly hair in his neck , who is the redneck here ? ( yes we know you !)

Edited by terminatorchiangmai

I was driving one in song kran one year and the police asked me if i had a work permit i just got out and let my thai friend drive my thai friend said i was just sitting in it.

this would be your biggest problem!

getting stopped everywhere asking if you're got a drivers license for it and a work permit.

they'd assume you where using to to move people around all the time, because that's what they usually/mostly/only see them used for.

If you have no "taxi" sign on the roof, you will have no problem re : work permit. It must be registered and with 3rd party insurance , as a private vehicle. A standard Thai driving licence is all that is required.To the best of my knowledge.

Or a yellow number plate I guess. I'd love one - I looked before a few years ago and they seemed very overpriced then.

very cool!! me and my girl always talk about how cool it would be to have one and how we never see them in CM. If you were a red neck you'd be a cool one in my book (and I've been called worse!)

I am bored s%^$less with cars and pick-ups. No fun to drive. So. I designed and had an ETAN made, about 4 years ago. Great fun to drive. Original Cost a bit over B 100,000 , What does it do ? Well I use it to carry :: Mun Sumpalung ( Cassava), Paddy ( both sheaves and sacks),gravel, cement, sand ,eucalyptus, Concrete posts, it does furniture removals for farang, Rubber trees, latex, If something needs carting, it carts it. But be warned : Only people under about 70 kilos can drive them. Fat people cannot fit behind the steering wheel. More environmentally friendly - fuel cost is 1/3 of a pick-up. Naturally, fully air-conditioned, a bit of a bugger , when it rains.NO registration. nor drivers licence required. A very useful and fun vehicle. Thais absolutely adore seeing me drive it .I get waves and smiles every day. You can work out why. And I am definitely NOT a red-neck( from septic tank land).