Numbers To Call About Stopping Music Licence Scammers.

Ulysses G.

I was given an alert in the Thai language about the con-artists posing as police that are shaking down businesses for playing recorded music.

It says do not allow them to take your belongings. Do not pay. Call Thip (Senior police official who speaks English)at 0846104118 and Col. Sukich of the Royal Thai Police at 081 386 7147

I have not verified any of this, but it is said to come from one of the volunteer Western police helpers, so cheers to them for spreading information about stopping this scam.

A lot of people have obviously had problems with these miscreants so if these people can actually help that's good news indeed. Does anyone know if they can be reached late at night when the 'action' usually happens? Most people who have actually paid have been intimated by the guys and also ignorant of Thai law regarding proper searches. Everyone says "don't pay" but it doesn't sound that easy in the heat of the moment.

but it is said to come from one of the volunteer Western police helpers

Then it must be true. :D

Are these the guys going round town planting Barry Manilow songs on peoples computer's then busting them for being a public nuisance? :P

Edited by Paagai

But back on topic, I suppose what I can take away from this thread is the idea of photographing everything that I can while pretending to use the phone, unobtrusively, from behind my beer. Or perhaps I should program my phone with the 'anti-musicpolice-police.hotline' hotbuttons?

Edited by metisdead
Removed off topic deleted posts.

I have heard about 5 different shops that have been targeted by the music scammers in the last 2 days. I am told that 3 places demanded a search warrant - which the con-artists could not produce - and got all their neighbors to come watch what was happening and took pictures. None of them ended up having to pay.

The other shops did none of these things and payed. One person was brought the police station lobby to negociate his payment, but never was brought into an office (as reported on TV recently).

They have also started targeting businesses other than restaurants and bars as they have tried it on with at least one massage parlor as well. :annoyed:

Edited by Ulysses G.

I am wondering if these guys have another part time job, in the shape of a car crash scam.

Just to warn you:

A car pulled in front of my husband last night on Chang Puak, stopped in front so he had to stop too, got out and claimed my husband had hit his car.

Briefly went as this (should mention there were 3 people involved, one man in car (Indian descent - semi fluent in Thai & English), Thai man claiming to be policeman (no uniform), another Thai man (claiming to be witness).

Indian man says you hit my car back there and didn't stop, meanwhile on his telephone.

"Policeman" appears so quickly on motorbike he must have been hiding in a bush.

Witness appears, claiming to have seen accident (what the heck did he do sprint all the way from Mae Rim rd).

Husband checks out his car (not a scratch). Indian guys car has big scratch/dent - he was driving an older Honda Civic.

"Policeman" now suggests my husband give Indian man 6,000 BT to settle the matter.

Husband lets out string of expletives whilst reminding policeman his car has no scratch at all. :whistling:

Husband lets them know he has first class insurance so its the insurance company's problem and not his - all 3 now change tone dramatically. 6,000 Bt now goes down to 4,000.

Witness suddenly disappears into thin air. Policeman looks jittery and husband threatens him not to leave before insurance arrives, same for the Indian guy.

Insurance arrives sees not a scratch on our car and says impossible we could have hit him.

Policeman disappears while everyone inspecting lack of damage on our car and Indian man leaves without a word.

So husband and insurance guy are the last to go agreeing that this was a scam.

So be on your guard!

So be on your guard!

Good advice Sally.

It's easy to become complacent here and these things happen when you least expect them.

Not so many stories anymore, about people throwing themselves on the floor as your vehicle passes them though.