Starting My Own School

Trebek

I was considering starting my own small school in a house in northern Thailand rather than teach at someone elses school. Is this feasable? Lets say teaching classes of 8 kids and charging $150 baht per head. If anyone knows the pros and cons of this idea please let me know (I'm most concerned with the legal ramifications)

Cheers

Trebek

It definetly can be done. A friend of mine does the same thing in Bangkok. His wife is a well-educated Thai, so she has the knowledge of how to deal with all the legal paperwork and how to help enroll prospective students. Also everything is in her name so it makes it feasable.

It seems that finding a reliable and trustworthy Thai is probably the most impotant thing.

Hope it works out for you!! :o

Edited by Spit the Dog

If you are an Ausie, under the much trumpeted FTA, you will be permitted to own 60% of the business, as it is one the businesses listed for increased forign ownership. The rest will have to be owned by a Thai.

If you are not subject to the FTA's you are permitted to own 49% of the business. Then all you have to do is get the paperwork through the Ministry of Education, and all the other govenment depts for the required permits.

Enjoy

Good luck, and if you beat a path please let us know how you go.

Chang

If you are an Ausie, under the much trumpeted FTA, you will be permitted to own 60% of the business, as it is one the businesses listed for increased forign ownership. The rest will have to be owned by a Thai.

If you are not subject to the FTA's you are permitted to own 49% of the business. Then all you have to do is get the paperwork through the Ministry of Education, and all the other govenment depts for the required permits.

Enjoy

Good luck, and if you beat a path please let us know how you go.

Chang

If you're a Yank, you can own 100% of the business. Sometmes life ain't fair. :o

^ I thought that had changed now???

And are you sure this applies to schools? As all the school I know of are Thai owned (51%).

No, actually I'm not sure if it applies to schools, but it applies to other businesses owned by US citizens.

Edited by mbkudu

But again I thought that ran out either last year or this year?

Will check, but it is possible for any nationality to set up a business without any Thais....or so I found out yesterday, although with a school Im not sure if this is the case.

Maybe Sunbelt Asia could shed some light.

If you are American, the Amity Treaty allows you to own 100%.

This is according to Sunbelt and they would know.

JFYI

You can do it. Just make sure you have a well thought out, written business plan that has been read and critiqued by school owners, farang business owners and some knowledgable Thai's for holes/problems you have not thought of.

Good luck.

JFYI

You can do it. Just make sure you have a well thought out, written business plan that has been read and critiqued by school owners, farang business owners and some knowledgable Thai's for holes/problems you have not thought of.

Good luck.

Thank you all for the excellent information.  Its nice to get straight answers to my question.  I am a Texan so its good to know I can be a legitimate owner of a business.  I might avoid the hassle and tutor private lessons for a while until I get my bearings.  Are the authorites laid back about that sort of thing?

Are the authorites laid back about that sort of thing?

Most certainly not officially but they tend to turn a blind eye to tutoring. I wouldn't broadcast it around all over the place but I'm sure you should be fine.

Even teachers with work permits aren't supposed to earn outside of the limits of their own work permits but many top up their wages with 'privates' on the side with no problems.

I was warned by my Tutor that I was breaking the law when I taught a few privates on the side but then ended up teaching Tourist Police from Trat as well as the son and nephews of a high ranking Chanthaburi policeman all arranged through my Tutor!!! Not bad seeing as I was only on a Student Visa at the time....but they were more innocent days......

JFYI

Good luck.

Did you check with them recently as I'm sure it's up last year or this year???

Also does it apply to schools?

I was considering starting my own small school in a house in northern Thailand rather than teach at someone elses school.  Is this feasable?  Lets say teaching classes of 8 kids and charging $150 baht per head.  If anyone knows the pros and cons of this idea please let me know (I'm most concerned with the legal ramifications)

Cheers

Trebek

$150 baht per head is too much in northern Thailand.

I was considering starting my own small school in a house in northern Thailand rather than teach at someone elses school.  Is this feasable?  Lets say teaching classes of 8 kids and charging $150 baht per head.  If anyone knows the pros and cons of this idea please let me know (I'm most concerned with the legal ramifications)

Cheers

Trebek

What qualifications do you have for such an undertaking Trebek?

I was considering starting my own small school in a house in northern Thailand rather than teach at someone elses school.  Is this feasable?  Lets say teaching classes of 8 kids and charging $150 baht per head.   If anyone knows the pros and cons of this idea please let me know (I'm most concerned with the legal ramifications)

Cheers

Trebek

I'm a certified public school teacher in the states at the moment.

I was considering starting my own small school in a house in northern Thailand rather than teach at someone elses school.  Is this feasable?  Lets say teaching classes of 8 kids and charging $150 baht per head.   If anyone knows the pros and cons of this idea please let me know (I'm most concerned with the legal ramifications)

Cheers

Trebek

I'm a certified public school teacher in the states at the moment.

In which subjects?

ESL, Social Studies (History, Geography, Economics, Political Science, World Cultures), and Fine Art.

I think your getting a bit of grilling there.

Go for it, you seemed to be well qualified, I was thinking of doing the same but getting sponsors to support giving English lessons to poor,underprivledge kids.

Getting back to the thread topic, I just wanted to mention that almost every attempt I have seen for a foreigner to start any kind of educational institution here has ended in tears for the foreigner; only about half that time does it go so badly for his Thai partner. Word to the wise.

ESL, Social Studies (History, Geography, Economics, Political Science, World Cultures), and Fine Art.

Go for it, you seemed to be well qualified, I was thinking of doing the same but getting sponsors to support giving English lessons to poor,underprivledge kids.

Yes I agree...

HEY LESLIE! ENOUGH PERSONAL QUESTIONS!!! :D

(Told him!)

I think you have a grand idea there Tayto. I have given some thought to setting up schools in local villages, then travel to each village a couple times a week to teach some lessons/check and reissue homework. Of course I might get paid with vegetables and chickens, but it could be quite rewarding.

PM me about this concept of yours, as it does sound interesting. :o

I have given some thought to setting up schools in local villages, then travel to each village a couple times a week to teach some lessons/check and reissue homework.

Have you ever experienced life in a Thai village Trebek?

< ^ Enough personal questions mate....please!!! KK>

<And they sound vaguely familiar as well>

Edited by kenkannif

I think you have a grand idea there Tayto. I have given some thought to setting up schools in local villages, then travel to each village a couple times a week to teach some lessons/check and reissue homework. Of course I might get paid with vegetables and chickens, but it could be quite rewarding.

PM me about this concept of yours, as it does sound interesting. :o

Will do if anything ever materialises out of it.

The problem about going to the villages here in Northern Thailand is that ,there are no kids left, they have all been abducted by missionaries and are being brainwashed and molested by them.

Missionaries Suck

God I hate them.