Starting My Own School

Trebek

Will do if anything ever materialises out of it.

The problem about going to the villages here in Northern Thailand is that ,there are no kids left, they have all been abducted by missionaries and are being brainwashed and molested by them.

Missionaries Suck

God I hate them.

I couldn't agree more.

IF you are a qualified teacher (ie have a teaching degree or dip ed) you cuold teach on the PNET or NET scheme in Hong Kong and spend your vacations in the LOS. A minimus of $28000 HK per month going up to about $60,000 / month depending on years experience teaching in Primary or secondary school. About 13 hours contact teaching a week. So many have quit here that it is relatively easy to get a job. I have a Thai girlfriend who spends most of her time here and - well just do the sums. You could own a condo in a couple of years. I rebuilt my girlfriends house just using my gratuity. Thailand is a great lifestyle if you have money but I would suck like most places if you were chasing the dollar. Just my thoughts. It's so much easier to do things with money and ideas become reality more easily.

Edited by lambada

IF you are a qualified teacher (ie have a teaching degree or dip ed) you cuold teach on the PNET or NET scheme in Hong Kong and spend your vacations in the LOS.  A minimus of $28000 HK per month going up to about $60,000 / month depending on years experience teaching in Primary or secondary school.  About 13 hours contact teaching a week.  So many have quit here that it is relatively easy to get a job.  I have a Thai girlfriend who spends most of her time here and - well just do the sums.  You could own a condo in a couple of years.  I rebuilt my girlfriends house just using my gratuity.  Thailand is a great lifestyle if you have money but I would suck like most places if you were chasing the dollar.  Just my thoughts. It's so much easier to do things with money and ideas become reality more easily.

Thanks for the info Lambada. I was wanting to take a break from the hectic life for a while, but that would be a good idea when money gets tight. How do like living in HK?

• 2 weeks later...

Trebek, given that you're from TX, can anyone understand you (ya'll know wad aw meen)? :D Sorry, couldn't resist. My point is, do you speak with a heavy draw? I know they can understand it in TX but not neccessarily everywhere else. I've been teaching here for 4 years and have worked with some really great (and not so great) teachers but had trouble understanding some of them. (not only Am. but other countries as well) Now, that being said/asked, it is not as illegle as some would have you believe to teach privately in your own home. Now, before anybody starts to flame me, let me put this to you also; my wife has her MA in Thai Law and works as the Educational Coordinator for a Thai Law University. We are, in fact, going to start our own small English school in the near future and did some checking. We (I) can teach privately in my own home if I am employeed as a teacher and don't earn more that my teaching wages. It must be in a tutorial capacity and there can be no certifications offered until we open a licenced school. It's a very good way to get your feet wet and start a prospective student base for when you do open a school. Yes, I'm an AM. and can own the business myself but why bother? It's so much easier to get through the paperwork and dealings with Thai government officials who don't speak English very well, if my wife is listed as the owner. Anyway, this is just my humble opinion and you should do as you see fit. Good luck! :o

Trebek, given that you're from TX, can anyone understand you (ya'll know wad aw meen)? :D Sorry, couldn't resist. My point is, do you speak with a heavy draw? I know they can understand it in TX but not neccessarily everywhere else. I've been teaching here for 4 years and have worked with some really great (and not so great) teachers but had trouble understanding some of them. (not only Am. but other countries as well) Now, that being said/asked, it is not as illegle as some would have you believe to teach privately in your own home. Now, before anybody starts to flame me, let me put this to you also; my wife has her MA in Thai Law and works as the Educational Coordinator for a Thai Law University. We are, in fact, going to start our own small English school in the near future and did some checking. We (I) can teach privately in my own home if I am employeed as a teacher and don't earn more that my teaching wages. It must be in a tutorial capacity and there can be no certifications offered until we open a licenced school. It's a very good way to get your feet wet and start a prospective student base for when you do open a school. Yes, I'm an AM. and can own the business myself but why bother? It's so much easier to get through the paperwork and dealings with Thai government officials who don't speak English very well, if my wife is listed as the owner. Anyway, this is just my humble opinion and you should do as you see fit. Good luck! :o

Most educated Texans from the city speak with a pretty neutral accent.  I do tend to turn on the drawl when traveling abroad because of the attention it gets. 

Thanks for all the valuable info on starting a school.  I think I'll just work for others for a while and see what happens.