Ordered Supplements From Us - Thai Customs Now Asks For A Copy Of My Passport

I ordered a bunch of supplements and vitamins from bodybuilding.com a few days ago and i just received a phonecall from UPS it's being inspected by Thai customs.

The UPS rep. told me i have to send a copy of my passport so the customs can release the package to UPS. Bodybuilding.com will cover all costs and i'm not being charged any import duties (that's kinda strange because the package has been inspected and the value is over $200).

Why do they need a copy of my passport?.... so far i know the supplements i ordered do not contain any substances which are "illegal" in Thailand.

Edit: Mods please move this thread to general, i placed it in the wrong section.

Edited by differentbutsamesame

Customs clearance always req. you to identify.

For importing household goods even the original passport has to be sent in (being stamped).

Sounds like you are lucky and can pick up your stuff soon.

Edited by KhunBENQ

It's normal.

Call me paranoid but why is that normal? I've ordered tons of stuff from the US and never had to provide a copy of my passport.

Did bodybuilding.com stick something not allowed in Thailand into the package so the customs need to verify i ordered it so they can throw me in Bangkok Hilton?

You must have your order form or a receipt saying exactly what you ordered right? So very easy, if you want your goods simply give them a copy of your PP unless you have something to hide?

Customs clearance always req. you to identify.

For importing household goods even the original passport has to be sent in (being stamped).

Sounds like you are lucky and can pick up your stuff soon.

Thanks for the confirmation. The rep. told me i can pick up the package on tuesday if i send a copy of my passport by email today.

The stuff got here pretty fast, ordered it last tuesday

Additional charges for customs clearance must be borne by the recipient; we have no control over these charges and cannot predict what they may be

http://www.bodybuild...help/duties.htm

good luck!

I know, that what i expected but the UPS rep. told me bodybuilding.com pays for all fees and charges. Whatever.

Shipping fees and charges?

"Did bodybuilding.com stick something not allowed in Thailand into the package so the customs need to verify i ordered it so they can throw me in Bangkok Hilton?"

Yes. It's a new marketing plan they recently came up with to get rid of repeat customers.

Asked my hubby who works for UPS he says its just to prove who you are nothing to worry about.

UPS are under a lot of pressure at the minute due to incidents with parcels. He has even had to take his own passport into work as he had a 2 week gap in employment over 3 years ago the 2 week gap was a holiday in Thailand and thank god it was stamped to prove this.

Asked my hubby who works for UPS he says its just to prove who you are nothing to worry about.

UPS are under a lot of pressure at the minute due to incidents with parcels. He has even had to take his own passport into work as he had a 2 week gap in employment over 3 years ago the 2 week gap was a holiday in Thailand and thank god it was stamped to prove this.

Yep forgetting about the recent attempts at sending bombs through the delivery companies..Did someone mention paranoia :unsure: ??

Edited by WarpSpeed

It's normal.

Call me paranoid but why is that normal? I've ordered tons of stuff from the US and never had to provide a copy of my passport.

Did bodybuilding.com stick something not allowed in Thailand into the package so the customs need to verify i ordered it so they can throw me in Bangkok Hilton?

Yes, but have you ever had to pay duty on these previous shipments from the US?

I haven't used UPS but have used DHL and FedEx frequently and on the odd occasion that duty is required, they ask to see my ID. Since you are a foreigner, the passport is requested as the usual form of ID. However, if you have a Thai DL, that should also be sufficient.

Edited by NanLaew

Yes, but have you ever had to pay duty on these previous shipments from the US?

I haven't used UPS but have used DHL and FedEx frequently and on the odd occasion that duty is required, they ask to see my ID. Since you are a foreigner, the passport is requested as the usual form of ID. However, if you have a Thai DL, that should also be sufficient.

No, i only had to pay a small import duty fee once out of 20 shipments or so. The value of each previous shipment was also lower than this one so they didn't bother charging me any import duties, or maybe i've been lucky all the time.

Additional charges for customs clearance must be borne by the recipient; we have no control over these charges and cannot predict what they may be

http://www.bodybuild...help/duties.htm

good luck!

I know, that what i expected but the UPS rep. told me bodybuilding.com pays for all fees and charges. Whatever.

Shipping fees and charges?

I mean import duties (import tax) and customs handling fees.

When I get notified of a hold I just supply my secretary with a copy of my Thai DL to pick it up. Yes, proof of identity is what it is about.

I just had two catering packs of marmite delivered through ups ,customs made such a fuss wanting so much paperwork and money i have told them to either destroy it or eat it .!!! :angry:

You do realise that marmite is on the UN list of banned chemical and biological weapons and it can be harmful to your health. :whistling: