Democrat Party Says Provoking 'Red Shirts' Is Not Plan For Rally At Bangkok's Ratchaprasong

webfact

Democrat Party says provoking 'Red Shirt' is not plan for rally at Ratchaprasong area

image_20110618134754A18178C6-9F71-93DE-CFBED5B5DBE0140D.jpg

BANGKOK, June 18 -- The Democrat Party is planning to hold a major election campaign at Bangkok's Ratchaprasong intersection on June 23 while the party's leaders said they would explain the facts to the public on involved incidents.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, leader of the Democrat Party, told journalists that his party would hold a major political rally for the July 3 general election at Ratchaprasong intersection, Bangkok's prime business area, next Thursday and would inform people attending the rally about the bloody violence which took place on May 19, 2010 around the area and ways his party would adopt in creating reconciliation among Thais.

Mr Abhisit said his party's upcoming campaign at Ratchaprasong intersection is "not meant to provoke" the Red Shirt movement as he has always been attacked by the group in the past and he has, therefore, decided to speak the truth over the matter during the campaign.

Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban, secretary-general of the Democrat Party, said it is necessary to inform people attending the upcoming rally that the government has been accused by the UDD for being responsible for the deaths of 91 people during last year's unrest.

Mr Suthep said the explanation would help correct the public's misunderstanding towards the government.

Mr Suthep said he would be one of the speakers on that day and that he is not afraid of ongoing threats against his party as his party was always being tarnished.

"I'm studying whether it's against the law if both audio and video (of the unrest) are shown while campaigning," Mr Suthep added. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-06-18

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The final throes of a truly desperate bunch. They are throwing away any chance of future reconciliation by riling the opposition just for the sake of their political gain. It's only going to turn more against them. I hope their propaganda is drowned out by the many reds who will surely turn out.

The final throes of a truly desperate bunch. They are throwing away any chance of future reconciliation by riling the opposition just for the sake of their political gain. It's only going to turn more against them. I hope their propaganda is drowned out by the many reds who will surely turn out.

Are you suggesting that the reds won't let the Democrats campaign?

Yay for Red Democracy!!

I don't think Democrats attend PTP rallies, so why would the Red Shirts turn out for a Democrat rally?

I don't think Democrats attend PTP rallies, so why would the Red Shirts turn out for a Democrat rally?

Red shirts (unlike Dem supporters) are everywhere.

Suppose some / many reds do turn up and attack the PM as he speaks. Wouldn't that simply reinforce the PMs propaganda. Imagine the PM is talking about the alleged red shirt violence and the heckling red shirts become violent - reminds me a slogan currently doing the rounds. Abhist says, UDD does.

The reds need to respect his right to speak.They had their turn for three long months. If they don't respect him as a person fair enough. But they need to respect the office he holds!!

I don't think that there's too many down south.

But the Democrats were able to get MPs elected in various areas around the country in the last election, not just in one region.

But they have still let the PTP campaign without hassle, not like the red shirts.

Yay for Red Democracy. Vote for us, or we'll demonstrate.

Red-shirts are welcome to a peaceful political campaign event. Any color shirt is welcome. The more the merrier. With k. Natthawut already having asked his UDD folks a few times to refrain from disturbing political campaigns, it should be really peaceful.

As for throwing away any change for future reconciliation, k. Chalerm's remarks on amnesty 'but not for k. Abhisit or Suthep of course' already indicates the PTP seems less inclined to reconciliate with people other than fellow PTP/UDD/red-shirts. Like those grenades last year seemed to target non-red-shirts only.

Why shouldnt the Democratic Party hold a rally at such a venue. If the UDD Thug brigade say its provocation it only goes to show they no nothing about democracy( simple fact ) . A nasty evil bunch of villians in Thailand . When I was close to them at Rajadamri on their sorties in Bangkok since last year it was so tempting to tell them to their face , but such are these low life it would have been endangering my personal safety.

Maybe the Dems should pay some red shirts to actually turn up and be abusive, violent - It would wonderful PR for the PM and also a timely reminder to Bangkok of the 'red menace' .

I doubt they would have to pay them really.

Maybe the Dems should pay some red shirts to actually turn up and be abusive, violent - It would wonderful PR for the PM and also a timely reminder to Bangkok of the 'red menace' .

If any do turn up and cause trouble, it will only be "fake reds".

If any do turn up and cause trouble, it will only be "fake reds".

You mean Arisman's coming back? :lol:

Why shouldnt the Democratic Party hold a rally at such a venue. If the UDD Thug brigade say its provocation it only goes to show they no nothing about democracy( simple fact ) . A nasty evil bunch of villians in Thailand . When I was close to them at Rajadamri on their sorties in Bangkok since last year it was so tempting to tell them to their face , but such are these low life it would have been endangering my personal safety.

And why shouldn't opposition parties stage counter rallies which is quite normal in democracies.

These low life as you call them welcomed me when they held their demos and were on the whole remarkably peacefull.

They certainly didn't instigate the violence and the fact that they accounted for nearly all the victim of violence says it all. Despite a huge surge surge in censorship by the Democrats since then they have been unable to hide the truth and Thais will show their disgust at the elections which is the right way to do it. The army may again order other parties to join the democrats in usurping the will of the people so lets hope they get an overall majority.

Abhisit has been harping on reconciliation and now why this provocation..and to explain why 90+ civilians were slaughtered.. :bah:

It is are good reminder how ugly they are. It will certainly not win the hearts of those who are still undecided.

And why shouldn't opposition parties stage counter rallies which is quite normal in democracies.

These low life as you call them welcomed me when they held their demos and were on the whole remarkably peacefull.

They certainly didn't instigate the violence and the fact that they accounted for nearly all the victim of violence says it all. Despite a huge surge surge in censorship by the Democrats since then they have been unable to hide the truth and Thais will show their disgust at the elections which is the right way to do it. The army may again order other parties to join the democrats in usurping the will of the people so lets hope they get an overall majority.

The red shirts, for one, say that opposition parties shouldn't stage counter rallies.

There were a number of times during the 2010 protests that they threatened groups setting up counter rallies, and in one case threw grenades at a counter rally.

The reds shirts may have been "on the whole, remarkably peaceful", but the part that wasn't certainly made up for it. Storming parliament and Thaicom wasn't very peaceful. Blowing up soldiers using grenades wasn't very peaceful. Burning down buildings wasn't very peaceful.

Edited by whybother

Abhisit has been harping on reconciliation and now why this provocation..and to explain why 90+ civilians were slaughtered.. :bah:

K. Abhisit has been trying to get co-operation from all to move forward with 'reconciliation'. Unfortunately PTP and UDD have rejected to participate. Even a peaceful political rally is immediately interpreted as 'provocation'. Go figure :ermm:

It is are good reminder how ugly they are. It will certainly not win the hearts of those who are still undecided.

I remember when those Black shirts murdered those Red Shirts and blamed it on the military. I remeber when they raided the hospitals before autopsies could be conducted on them and paraded their bodies in front of the assembled Red Shirt masses to incite more violence. Let's not play the "ugly" card shall we?

there are no reds in my extended family so that blows your hugely generalised statement..........

I doubt they would have to pay them really.

i think the customary 500 baht will be available

probably more if you bring your own weapons..........

Since when do the reds want a reconciliation?

Why do the reds fear so much this kind of meeting organized by PM Abhisit?

Why should this meeting be disturbed by the reds? After all they are always talking about democracy, aren't they?

How would it be a sign of democracy if the reds turn out at the meeting and start to disturb a peaceful reunion?

But, maybe, they are not that much for democracy? Or should it be their democracy? The one that show teeth, hate, disrespect of the others rights, and terrorize those who think differently.... Surely you were not around Ratchprasong last April May, and you did not see what happened here.... I mean when reds were harassing and threatening all who were not reds....

reconciliation is just a word thrown around by the reds to look like they are being reasonable and electable

if they were to actually get any power, reconcilliation would swiftly turn into revenge

so might as well get it out in the open before the election

i hope hundreds of thousands of reds turn out to try to shut up the dems

it will simply remind Thailand exactly what kind of people they really are and what the rest of us sane thinking people already know they are

Abhisit has fallen slightly short of calling you reds a load of tossers but you know he thinks it about you

so i say ' GO REDS' go shut him up..............!!

what are you men or mice?

squeek up!

Edited by timekeeper

The 90+ figure also includes a number of members of the RTA, who presumably committed suicide in your book. With the possible exception of the soldier videoed being shot to death after he surrendered to the "peaceful protesters" rather than drive his truck over them.

Opinion is fine, facts are fine, deliberate lies are against the rules.

The 90+ figure also includes a number of members of the RTA, who presumably committed suicide in your book. With the possible exception of the soldier videoed being shot to death after he surrendered to the "peaceful protesters" rather than drive his truck over them.

Opinion is fine, facts are fine, deliberate lies are against the rules.

Hard to find that video now for some reason. Just a boy and he submitted to his captors immediately, even waiing them. Then they murdered him in cold blood a few seconds later.

If you wish to see ugly, hopefully the Democrat rally will include footage of the red leaders speeches from the stage. Do you remember some of their best lines?

K. Abhisit has been trying to get co-operation from all to move forward with 'reconciliation'. Unfortunately PTP and UDD have rejected to participate. Even a peaceful political rally is immediately interpreted as 'provocation'. Go figure :ermm:

Who said it is a provocation?