Just Got Non-imm 'o' Visa

This is just for information.

I've just got a non-immigrant 'O' Thai visa, multiple entries, valid for 1 year, in the Thai embassy in Paris. The procedure took 48 hours (submit application in the morning, collect passport 2 working days later in the morning). The documentation I had to produce:

* application form duly completed

* 1 passport-size photo

* passbook of my Thai bank account + photocopies of all the pages

* 120 Euros fee

Just for those who may wonder, I am under 50 years of age, and I am not married. Rather smooth process, I must say...

Well, it sounds mind-boggling that some can obtain this visa and some can't, all conditions being the same.

I am not sure if it had anything to do, but, that morning when I applied at the Thai embassy, I was dressed neatly and in a formal way, just like when you go for a business meeting. I must also say that I was treated with respect and courtesy by the Thai staff.

What was the proper documentation and reason for requesting a multi entry O visa I believe would be what we would like to know. You say you had over 1m in Thai bank account but was that requested? Anything else requested or provided other than a visa form and payment?

What was the proper documentation and reason for requesting a multi entry O visa I believe would be what we would like to know.

* The 'proper' documentation was exactly the one I listed in my initial post (plus my passport, of course). Nothing more.

* As for the reason for requesting a non-imm O multiple entry, I did not give any (I was not asked to).

You say you had over 1m in Thai bank account but was that requested?

No, that was not requested. The only question they asked me was if I had a bank account in Thailand. I answered 'yes' and they asked if I had any relevant justificative documents. I showed them my bank passbook and then, they asked me if I could make a photocopy of it. I had a set of photocopies of all the pages with me which I handed to them. They checked my passbook and the copies, and then, they returned me my passbook and kept the photocopies which they attached to my application form along with the photo and my passport. But we never discussed neither the amount that was in my bank account, nor any amount that I 'should' have in order to apply or any such topic.
Anything else requested or provided other than a visa form and payment?

Nothing else.

Just to muddy the waters, I got a type 'O' visa in Denver, Colorado, USA. I dressed in grubby shorts, a torn tee shirt and flip flops. All I had to do was have my passport, the two passport photos, fill out the application and pay the nominal fee. It was all finished in about 25 minutes. I left with the visa.

I also was not asked for a specific reason for requesting it. I was not asked about a Thai bank account.

BTW I am 55 and did not have a Thai wife nor was I engaged at the time.

Edited by andym528

When you and morbious had to fill out the application did you not enter ANYTHING under "sponsor/guarentor" as well as "reason for visit"?

I have never seen a form that did not have the above (when applying for non-em visas).

Cheers!

Morbius, Andym528

Idle curiousity.

If you HAD been asked your reason for visit, what would you have given?

I'm sure in Andy's case, he would have written in:

"To be gainfully employed, but only after obtaining all the legal and proper work permits."

:o

Take A Deep Breath....

andym528 Posted on: 2005-10-09 07:34:49

The traffic, yeah... made the stupid mistake of going to On Nut Tesco Lotus Friday after work.

:D

But under 50, nor legally married to a Thai. I can't imagine what ' documentation ' got you across the line.

Not wanting to be sarcastic about the matter, but having 1 million baht in a Thai bank account may have something to do with it. Certainly it wouldn't hurt the case. Like he said, they didn't ask any futher questions, he didn't volunteer any other information. Case closed.

Morbius, Andym528

Idle curiousity.

If you HAD been asked your reason for visit, what would you have given?

I'm sure in Andy's case, he would have written in:

"To be gainfully employed, but only after obtaining all the legal and proper work permits."

Take A Deep Breath....

andym528 Posted on: 2005-10-09 07:34:49

The traffic, yeah... made the stupid mistake of going to On Nut Tesco Lotus Friday after work.

Ha Ha!!! You're darn good, sriracha john!!! :D

actually i probably would have said researching a book i am writing! or coming over to decide if i want to retire here...

I don't remember the sponsor/guarantor fields nor the reason for visit field....

The book you are researching. Is it a comparative study of the incidence of short sightedness in North America and SE Asia?

You actually overlooked 3 things on the visa form used in US.

Requirement for supporting documentation.

Purpose of visit.

Reference person in USA or Thailand.

I can only assume when you described yourself in earlier post you forgot to mention the extra dark shades you were wearing.

…the visa form used in US.

Is it possible that within a country, different Thai consulates have differently-worded visa application forms?

I see the form on the web site of the Thai Embassy in Washington, but we do not know where the original poster applied for his visa and what form that consulate may have used, although I doubt that the form used by another consulate would have omitted the question on the purpose for the visit.

Guarantor? Not quite the same as a reference person (mentioned on the Washington form), I should think.

On the application form of the Thai Consulate in Zurich, Switzerland there are blanks for

-- Purpose of visit

-- Contact address in Switzerland

-- Local travel agent in Switzerland

-- Travel Agent Representative in Thailand

I doubt they would want all of the last three mentioned above.

Regarding the purpose of visit, it has often been mentioned that some consulates are more liberal than others in granting visas and it is quite feasible that a consulate may not check application forms thoroughly or even accept that no purpose is stated by the applicant.

The web site of the Thai Embassy in Bern, Switzerland has a photograph of the “Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary PRADAP PIBULSONGGRAM”, no apparent link to the visa application form, and a non-working link to “Tourist Information”; in other words, an utterly useless site.

The application form of the Thai Consulate in Hull, UK has the field for “Purpose of visit” right at the top, and a field for “Proposed address in Thailand (if known)”. Again no mention of a guarantor. Then there’s also the field “Evidence substantiating purpose of visit (Non-Immigrant visa only)”, not found on the Washington and Zurich forms. At any rate, Hull has been reported to be very easy for obtaining a visa.

Maestro,

My Holmesian deductive skills suggest Morbius obtained his visa in Paris and Andym928 in Denver. I have confirmed this by reading their posts. I'll leave it to you to obtain copies of the appropriate visa forms.

By the way it ain't only the forms you read but also the guidance notes. You have quoted HULL, although I don't see the relevance. Hull provide a downloadable letter for you to complete giving the name and address of a guarantor.

Anyway, if people beat the system good on them.

Purpose of visit.

I can only assume when you described yourself in earlier post you forgot to mention the extra dark shades you were wearing.

Reference person in the USA sounds familiar, most likely I had to list someone in USA, but was NOT required to list a guarantor in Thailand. And extra dark shades for sure to go with shorts and tee. My short term memory must be shot but I don't remember the supporting documentation part...

It seems clear to me that OP was asked to provide for a reason for the visa and would probably not have received it without the large bank account. And that the Embassy accepted his bank account as the justification to issue the visa. Good luck for him and if it is to be a general practice may help those with funds but not the age. My second guess would be that over 400 or 800k would be the break point if indeed this becomes general policy. Anyone else up to try?

…the visa form used in US.

Is it possible that within a country, different Thai consulates have differently-worded visa application forms?

I see the form on the web site of the Thai Embassy in Washington, but we do not know where the original poster applied for his visa and what form that consulate may have used, although I doubt that the form used by another consulate would have omitted the question on the purpose for the visit.

Guarantor? Not quite the same as a reference person (mentioned on the Washington form), I should think.

On the application form of the Thai Consulate in Zurich, Switzerland there are blanks for

-- Purpose of visit

-- Contact address in Switzerland

-- Local travel agent in Switzerland

-- Travel Agent Representative in Thailand

I doubt they would want all of the last three mentioned above.

Regarding the purpose of visit, it has often been mentioned that some consulates are more liberal than others in granting visas and it is quite feasible that a consulate may not check application forms thoroughly or even accept that no purpose is stated by the applicant.

The web site of the Thai Embassy in Bern, Switzerland has a photograph of the “Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary PRADAP PIBULSONGGRAM”, no apparent link to the visa application form, and a non-working link to “Tourist Information”; in other words, an utterly useless site.

The application form of the Thai Consulate in Hull, UK has the field for “Purpose of visit” right at the top, and a field for “Proposed address in Thailand (if known)”. Again no mention of a guarantor. Then there’s also the field “Evidence substantiating purpose of visit (Non-Immigrant visa only)”, not found on the Washington and Zurich forms. At any rate, Hull has been reported to be very easy for obtaining a visa.

They all mention under the non "o" section that they request evidence as follows....

FOR OTHER PURPOSES THAN TOURISM, please submit EVIDENCE SUBSTANTIATING YOUR PRUPOSE OF STAY.

Examples of such evidence are in case of transit, a confirmed travel document (air ticket etc.) showing Thailand as point of transit; in case of business trip, a letter from employer and/or business counterpart in Thailand; in case of work in Thailand, a letter of employment from your prospective employer, such document should be addressed to the Royal Thai Embassy; in case of settlement in Thailand with Thai spouse/Children/Parents, your certificate of marriage/birth. :D

You might be asked to prove it....later... :D ...blagg it by all means but you know wot happens to people wiff dodgy P.Ps. and even more suss visas stamps....... :o

In post No 11 Morbius states:

"As for the reason for requesting a non-imm O multiple entry, I did not give any (I was not asked to)".

Perhaps the consular official filled it in: “Spend over one million Baht in Thailand” :o

Not wanting to be sarcastic about the matter, but having 1 million baht in a Thai bank account may have something to do with it. Certainly it wouldn't hurt the case. Like he said, they didn't ask any futher questions, he didn't volunteer any other information. Case closed.

I do not see anything sarcastic in your comments. In fact, I find them reflecting quite accurately what happenend: yes, they didn't ask any further questions, and, yes, I didn't volunteer any other information. The entire conversation I had with the officer from the Thai embassy I submitted my application to lasted less than 1 minute. Then, as you said, the case was closed.

Good question, and I don't have the answer. But I suspect that, within a country, Thai consulates may have different policies (which could also differ from the embassy's policy) for visa issuance. I know people (less than 50, and non-married to a Thai national) who obtained the same non 'O', 1 year, multiple entry visa from the Thai consulates in Marseille and in Monaco even more easily than I did: they didn't even have to show any bank/financial justificative, and they got their visa in 1/2 hour!

I got my visa in Paris (thanks to 'Seen all,learnt nothing' for pointing this out! - looks like you have seen my OP, and learnt from it!).

As for the form I had to fill in, it didn't look like any of those you listed in your post. Unfortunately, I can't see any form on the website of the Thai embassy in France.

That seems well to be the case in France (see what I wrote above).

Purpose of visit.

Reference person in the USA sounds familiar, most likely I had to list someone in USA, but was NOT required to list a guarantor in Thailand. And extra dark shades for sure to go with shorts and tee. My short term memory must be shot but I don't remember the supporting documentation part...

I think it was a little similar for me: the application form did not require to provide a guarantor, but it required the name and contact info of a person to contact in case of emergency.