Casa Pascal Breakfast/Brunch

koiwaolao

Tried the above today and I must say that I am highly impressed.A lot is written abouth "The best breakfast in Pattaya" etcetc but I havn't come across a mention of the above. At first glance some might be put off by the price of 165 baht if compared to the many "Pattaya breakfast specials" at 99 baht or less! However, for quality and value for money, no other place comes close.

Its a full buffet type brunch arrangement with the usual fruit, hot station ( eggs, bacon, sausage) and some cooked dishes such as Phad Thai, Khao Pad etcetc. What makes this one stand out is the various delicacies which are on offer additionally to the standard fare. There is great Swiss/French/German bread, the best croissants I have ever come across in Thailand as well as cold cuts of meat, smoked fish, marinated hering and great consomme with real meat pieces! A true gourmets delight at a bargain price, considering that it really combines breakfast and lunch in one.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are quite correct, and it has been mentioned several times, not least by me. :whistling:

You forgot to mention the yoghurt and honey (both quite rare in Thailand for breakfast), and the discount card.

They also do a cheaper afternoon cake, sandwich and coffee buffet.

They give you a little card and they mark what you spend on it. After 7 visits they cash it in for 10% of the total value.

When they moved from the Poseidon they said that it was being renovated. Now that the roadworks outside are nearly finished, I wouldnt be surprised if they started it up again at some point. Whether they would then run two buffets, I dont know. I think a lot of the customers from Poseidon just followed the buffet to Pattaya when it moved!

maybe just worth the B165 but certainly no more.

With the discount card it costs less, and I think that it is very fair given the surprisingly high quality of the ingredients and the classy surroundings. There are plenty of places that charge nearly that for a mediocre set UK breakfast.

So I have been preaching to the converted! I did a search on forum but somehow my search function returned blank page stating "done" and nothing else. Even if it has been mentioned before ( couldn't have been all that recent) it cant be mentioed enough as its really great. BTW, was told today that the afternoon do has been discontiued. I was also handed the discount card at terms as mentioned by Darrel.

Is this every day? I googled it to find the location and got articles talking about their sunday brunch for 899 baht?

Looks like its everyday from 8:00 to 14:00 at this price. The sunday brunch is something else though it may interfer with breakfast on sunday?

Just don't order a coke (my wife ordered 2 as she does not drink coffee) it cost B100 each which spoiled our trip there and we would never go back.

That doesn't seem the most intelligent course of action. If you had asked for the menu, you would have known the price before ordering. It is not that they force you into ordering drinks, as you can help yourself to unlimited juices(of a kind) and water.

You made a mistake, get over it and go and enjoy a decent breakfast. You're an adult now. ;)

I know the expensive drinks/cheap buffet trick, but 100 baht for a coke is really taking the piss! :o

No, those are the restaurant menu prices. She ordered off menu without checking the price.

There is no trick. It's isn't some street restaurant and there is no need to order drinks separately, as there are free beverages included.

If someone wants to order something not included, they should check the price beforehand or at least not grumble afterwards.

165 baht is an excellent price for what is offered. Anyone who doesn't think so is either down on his luck or a 'cheapskate'.

you can help yourself to unlimited juices(of a kind)

It's juice Jim, but not as we know it.

For some odd reason the Casa Pascal really falls down in the juice department. It is especially nasty, even by Pattaya standards which are already very low.

The water, milk and coffee are fine. The tea is OK if you liven it up with an extra teabag.

For some odd reason the Casa Pascal really falls down in the juice department. It is especially nasty, even by Pattaya standards which are already very low.

The water, milk and coffee are fine. The tea is OK if you liven it up with an extra teabag.

You know, you're 100% right, krap! We had the brunch at Posiedon at least 5 times (same thing). When you looked at the quality of the rest of the stuff they offered, the juices were really, surprisingly lame. More like flavored sugar-water... yuk! Shame a place like CP can't squeeze a few real oranges for their customers... ot at least raise the juice level a bit from this stuff.

Yes that sugar water is vile. It's pretty clear that they can't offer unlimited pure fresh juices and still make a profit. So here is my suggestion. Many people do expect juice with a breakfast type meal and yes most places in Thailand offer similar sugar as this place, and many people probably even find it OK. For those who don't perhaps they could consider offering a juice "upgrade" to this who want to pay a little extra? How about 50 baht for a good portion of freshly squeezed OJ sound, as an option? If someone knows the owner, please pass on my suggestion. If its priced at 100 or 150 baht ... never mind! BTW, I'm sure the owner knows the sugar water is vile also, and it is the blight of the buffet there. Here is a chance for him to redeem himself!

Edited by Jingthing

You know, you're 100% right, krap! We had the brunch at Posiedon at least 5 times (same thing). When you looked at the quality of the rest of the stuff they offered, the juices were really, surprisingly lame. More like flavored sugar-water... yuk! Shame a place like CP can't squeeze a few real oranges for their customers... ot at least raise the juice level a bit from this stuff.

Come on, don't be ridiculous. You already know that the quality and amount of ingredients surpasses the measly price that you pay. Yet you have the gall to suggest that they should "squeeze a few real oranges". Do you have any idea of how much that would add to the costs?

Just another person wanting something for nothing. You want freshly squeezed orange juice? Order it off the main menu.

Something tells me that you won't. :) If they raise the price so that they could include a better quality of juice, the cheapskates would complain about that and maybe not bother to turn up at all. So just avoid the 'juice' if you don't like it or find another buffet that includes real orange juice.

I pity anyone who tries to run a decent business in Pattaya.

The thing about the juice is that it weirdly mismatches the quality of the rest of the buffet, which is mostly good or very good. I am with the people who think it is a problem, but understand they can't offer good juice without raising the price. By offering a compromise price on juice (rather than a rip off a la carte price) and the option to go for it or not, allowing them to not raise the price on the base buffet, they please most everyone. You don't need a Coke with brunch, but many people feel the need for juice. That's my real point, juice belongs on the buffet. How would people feel if they only offered a soft white bread and for anything like a crossaint, 100 baht extra?

Edited by Jingthing

Yes that sugar water is vile. It's pretty clear that they can't offer unlimited pure fresh juices and still make a profit. So here is my suggestion. Many people do expect juice with a breakfast type meal and yes most places in Thailand offer similar sugar as this place, and many people probably even find it OK. For those who don't perhaps they could consider offering a juice "upgrade" to this who want to pay a little extra? How does 50 baht for a good portion of freshly squeezed OJ sound, as an option? If someone knows the owner, please pass on my suggestion. If its priced at 100 or 150 baht ... never mind! BTW, I'm sure the owner knows the sugar water is vile also, and it is the blight of the buffet there. Here is a chance for him to redeem himself!

The fresh OJ costs a fair bit more than 50 baht. If the Coke costs 100 baht..

But I think the drinks supplement is a good idea. I would happy pay 100 baht for a glass of freshly squeezed in that environment.

I explained before why they might consider a compromise price on the juice. I doubt many people would go for the 100 baht juice and I think many would go for the 50 baht juice, in context of the base price of 165. Of course I am assuming the production cost would be much less than 50 baht, those street guys can sell for 20 baht and those small juice oranges are usually very cheap to buy (especially in bulk).

Edited by Jingthing

I explained before why they might consider a compromise price on the juice. I doubt many people would go for the 100 baht juice and I think many would go for the 50 baht juice, in context of the base price of 165. Of course I am assuming the production cost would be much less than 50 baht, those street guys can sell for 20 baht and those small juice oranges are usually very cheap to buy (especially in bulk).

The 'street guys' often add sugar water to their product and as a coop can buy those small oranges in bulk. The don't have the costs of running a restaurant involved. So even if their costs are less than 50 baht, why should they bother? If you want to pay street prices, eat on the street. If you want to eat in Casa Pascal, be prepared to pay the commensurate price. If 100 baht is too much for you, drink the water and buy the juice from the street after you leave.

You totally don't get my point. Not to mention you sound like an elitist which is your right to be but it rubs me the wrong way, this isn't Monte Carlo, you know. I bet they would make more money on their entire buffet operation if they priced the special OJ more friendly. Don't know if they have it now on their a la carte menu or not but I can assure you not many 165 buffet customers are buying ANY extra drinks at 100 baht or plus when there is "free" included coffee, sugar water, and water. So right now I bet they are making almost nothing on overpriced special juice if it is on the menu. So if they priced it well, they may potentially even sell half the house, and make something on volume. Especially as they could promote the hell out of it with signs by the sugar water and on each table. Sure they don't have to. But what kind of business attitude is that, only do what you have to? The fact is the sugar water is the one really poor point on the package, and I have suggested a way they can fix that, make more money than they are making now, and build good will and even happier customers. Sure, I don't know the exact price point for that given their costs and portion, 40, 50, or 60 baht, but it definitely isn't 150 baht.

Edited by Jingthing

Am i missing something, here, but, as the place isnt in an area that would be considered "the hub of restaurants in Pattaya" why is it generating such interest/debate?

Do people come from half way across town, or even as far afield as Naklua, or Jomtien, just to eat breakfast?

Surely one eats breakfast in a place near to where they stay, and not go on a treck to feed their faces.

Its just one of many fine eateries (depening, of course on your experience and tastes)

Penkoprod

The problem with the juice at Casa Pascal is indeed the difference in quality when compared with all the other ingredients. Honey and yoghurt are not cheap here, and they also provide expresso coffee if you ask for it. They even have horseradish cream for the smoked fish! And they provide milk for drinking also, and that isnt cheap either.

The juice however (especially the orange flavoured one) is significantly worse than the Tang stuff they provide in the likes of Diana Inn in a cheaper buffet. (Actually if you add some manao to the Diana Inn orange drink you end up with something quite acceptable, though it still isnt real orange.)

To spoil those fine ingredients with that nasty orange liquid is just plain odd.

Am i missing something, here, but, as the place isnt in an area that would be considered "the hub of restaurants in Pattaya" why is it generating such interest/debate?

Do people come from half way across town, or even as far afield as Naklua, or Jomtien, just to eat breakfast?

Surely one eats breakfast in a place near to where they stay, and not go on a treck to feed their faces.

Actually the Casa Pascal is within 15 minutes walk of nearly all the places I ever eat in, and as far as I'm concerned that does make the hub of restaurants in Pattaya.

I go there 3 or 4 times every month, for a change and to read the papers. I used to do exactly the same when it was in Jomtien, which for me did involve crossing town on a bahtbus.

Other days I mostly eat a Thai breakfast of something over rice.

The problem with the juice at Casa Pascal is indeed the difference in quality when compared with all the other ingredients. Honey and yoghurt are not cheap here, and they also provide expresso coffee if you ask for it. They even have horseradish cream for the smoked fish! And they provide milk for drinking also, and that isnt cheap either.

The juice however (especially the orange flavoured one) is significantly worse than the Tang stuff they provide in the likes of Diana Inn in a cheaper buffet. (Actually if you add some manao to the Diana Inn orange drink you end up with something quite acceptable, though it still isnt real orange.)

To spoil those fine ingredients with that nasty orange liquid is just plain odd.

I so agree.

Here's another way they could handle this.

Raise the price to 200 and just serve every person one medium glass of juice on the table. To me it still sounds better to charge keep the charge at 165 and give the option of juice upgrade. Not everyone wants either sugar water OR juice, after all.

OK, I admit this is getting weird, trying to micromanage the policy of a successful restaurant. However, the fact is their sugar water fake juice is awful, and do they care? Right now, it seems not.

Edited by Jingthing