Russian Found Hanged In Phuket Police Cell

george

Once a friend of mine guested in a Russian village. He couldn't manage to stay there a planned week and left after 4 days. The reason was alcohol abuse by the locals. For 4 days he did not see a single sober face. They drink really hard guys. As he said, they do not actually eat well. Whichever house he visited, In the center of the table is always a huge bottle of home-made alcohol and a sausage, or a bread loaf for a "snack" . The whole family including children and old people are drinking. As he said they drink continuously, go to vomit, come back and drink again. And it is offensive for a host if the guests are rejecting a drink. He happened to be there in winter, temperature was minus 30 and along the street you can see drunk people sleeping everywhere on the snow. (or maybe dead already, who knows?). He says that even local police were drunk.

Another thing. In one of Dubai hotels, me personally observed such a scene: a Russian family: husband, wife, grand mother and two kids around 11 - 12 years old came down to the hotel bar. Security had to stop children, as it is illegal to visit bar if you not reached 21 in Dubai. Parents were extremely frustrated and what they finally did, they bought a bottle of Smirnoff and handed it to the kids, saying " go to your room and have fun"

That is so misunderstood! I wonder if this is how all bad gossip starts! Russians feel that they have to entertain their guests, hence a lot of food, vodka and a party, whether they can afford it or not.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"He may have had a problem with another rental outfit and got confused," said the operator.

Got confused eh ? how come you DID have his passport ?????.....

"Arguments between motorbike rental operators and their clients are a common source of problems in the Phuket tourism industry."

Yeah because they keep trying to scam the tourists !!!

RIP the Russian guy, not saying he was blameless in all this but its still a terrible wasts of a life.

you misread that. the russian was in possession of his passport, not the rental bike owner.

Typically the motor bike scam involves a tourist renting a bike and having to leave his or her passport with the rental agency as a deposit for the bike. Then when the bike is returned to the agency scratches or other faults are pointed out and a huge sum of money is required to cover the damage. The other and crueller version of the scam involves someone from the rental agency turning up at the renters hotel in the wee small hours with a duplicate set of keys and taking the vehicle back... then the renter has to report the bike as stolen... the so called insurance is useless and they have to pay to replace the bike before they get their passport back

Thanks for the valuable insight. So how should one protect oneself? Renting from more reputable operators (assuming one exists :) )

First, the term "reputable operator" is a total oxymoron. There is no such creature, other than in the fantasy brochures handed out by the Thai.

Second, about the only way to actually prevent yourself from being scammed is to pick out a motorbike, then whip out a camera and take photos of it before you drive away. Oh, that's IF the guy renting it will let you and doesn't have a screaming fit first and try to take your camera away from you.

"He may have had a problem with another rental outfit and got confused," said the operator.

"Arguments between motorbike rental operators and their clients are a common source of problems in the Phuket tourism industry."

RIP the Russian guy, not saying he was blameless in all this but its still a terrible wasts of a life.

:blink: "the Russian, who was in possession of the passport when taken into custody by Patong Police."

There are so many wonderful insights provided by the responders here. Obviously many have nothing better to do than theorise and provide unfounded conjecture as to what may, or may not have happened - then leap into digressive speculation about what they may, or may not know about the national habits of people from a country they have only heard about.

Get a life.

Once a friend of mine guested in a Russian village. He couldn't manage to stay there a planned week and left after 4 days. The reason was alcohol abuse by the locals. For 4 days he did not see a single sober face. They drink really hard guys. As he said, they do not actually eat well. Whichever house he visited, In the center of the table is always a huge bottle of home-made alcohol and a sausage, or a bread loaf for a "snack" . The whole family including children and old people are drinking. As he said they drink continuously, go to vomit, come back and drink again. And it is offensive for a host if the guests are rejecting a drink. He happened to be there in winter, temperature was minus 30 and along the street you can see drunk people sleeping everywhere on the snow. (or maybe dead already, who knows?). He says that even local police were drunk.

Another thing. In one of Dubai hotels, me personally observed such a scene: a Russian family: husband, wife, grand mother and two kids around 11 - 12 years old came down to the hotel bar. Security had to stop children, as it is illegal to visit bar if you not reached 21 in Dubai. Parents were extremely frustrated and what they finally did, they bought a bottle of Smirnoff and handed it to the kids, saying " go to your room and have fun"

I think that this is a total misunderstanding of what your friend was experiencing in the Russian village. Russians feel that they have to entertain their guests, with a table full of food and, naturally, vodka, in most cases whether they can afford it or not. It's in their culture. Russians don't drink more than any other nationality - it's just the way that they party that gives them this reputation; they're binge drinkers. This is how bad rumors start - by writing things like the one above.

There are so many wonderful insights provided by the responders here. Obviously many have nothing better to do than theorise and provide unfounded conjecture as to what may, or may not have happened - then leap into digressive speculation about what they may, or may not know about the national habits of people from a country they have only heard about.

Get a life.

apparently, the Russians are the world's 4th heaviest drinkers, after the Moldovians, Czechs and Hungarians

http://www.b92.net/eng/news/world-article.php?yyyy=2011&mm=02&dd=18&nav_id=72792

Russians dont drink more than any body else , look at the drunken english in Patong area or Patpong ..... I know Russia very well and yes they might drink a bit more than others but I dont think that is the case here .. Probably the guy who rented a motorbike and who had the passport wanted more money for some scratches on the bike , same as jet ski ... I dont know ... You can be drunk but not want to kill yourself with gasoline ... My guess is this , he probably had to pay a huge amount of money to the motorcycle rental and those Russian coming in Thailand for holidays , are here on very low budget and dont have much money, the shame of asking to the family etc .... can be that reason. Another "fishy" story involving one more time tourists and operators ( motorcycle,jet ski etc ..) . Not the best place to come for quiet holidays anymore apparently .

Good point and I am so sorry to hear a sad story. This young man lost his life for something that can be fixed. Can Farang in the town help each other? My take and opinion.

I think that this is a total misunderstanding of what your friend was experiencing in the Russian village. Russians feel that they have to entertain their guests, with a table full of food and, naturally, vodka, in most cases whether they can afford it or not. It's in their culture. Russians don't drink more than any other nationality - it's just the way that they party that gives them this reputation; they're binge drinkers. This is how bad rumors start - by writing things like the one above.

"Xxx isnt a pedophile. He just has sex with small children"

"The kid isnt a thief. He just took something that wasnt his."

Russians dont drink more than any body else , look at the drunken english in Patong area or Patpong ..... I know Russia very well and yes they might drink a bit more than others but I dont think that is the case here .. Probably the guy who rented a motorbike and who had the passport wanted more money for some scratches on the bike , same as jet ski ... I dont know ... You can be drunk but not want to kill yourself with gasoline ... My guess is this , he probably had to pay a huge amount of money to the motorcycle rental and those Russian coming in Thailand for holidays , are here on very low budget and dont have much money, the shame of asking to the family etc .... can be that reason. Another "fishy" story involving one more time tourists and operators ( motorcycle,jet ski etc ..) . Not the best place to come for quiet holidays anymore apparently .

"Russians dont drink more than any body else"

It would appear that you haven't spent a lot of time in the Soviet Union or the Russian Federation. Alcoholism is very high as are deaths by suicide. Neither however has yet to be proven to be a factor in respect of this particular event.

On the subject of suicide Thai's themselves were not too long ago resorting to the "final solution" at the rate of just under 50 every 24 hours AND that was just in the Big Mango.

I guess it helps to keep the population down.

Edited by VictorOne

Typically the motor bike scam involves a tourist renting a bike and having to leave his or her passport with the rental agency as a deposit for the bike. Then when the bike is returned to the agency scratches or other faults are pointed out and a huge sum of money is required to cover the damage. The other and crueller version of the scam involves someone from the rental agency turning up at the renters hotel in the wee small hours with a duplicate set of keys and taking the vehicle back... then the renter has to report the bike as stolen... the so called insurance is useless and they have to pay to replace the bike before they get their passport back

Thanks for the valuable insight. So how should one protect oneself? Renting from more reputable operators (assuming one exists :) )

The answer is quite simple. There are operators with a good name, not holding your passport for mentioned reasons with a proper insurance.

That's great to hear.

Could you please tell me names and locations of 3 such operators in Patong and 3 in Kata?

I would find this info very useful.

[Personally I've never had a problem renting a motorbike, but I know one day my luck could change... using one of your well-named operators will be a great relief.]

phuket,shame city will die in a lot of sufferings when such inhumain horrible events happen on a daily basis . Be prepaired to the end of the scams soon...

Farangs in Phuket should help protect each other from the bad guys. Do not let the bad local gangs cheat, lie, and bully Time to reunite and stand tall. I am sure many good local people want to help Farangs. Time to connect and take an action. No excuse and it takes a village to fight many bad gangs. Please keep your individual at bay. My take and opinion.

Thailand visitors considering renting a bike here:

It is difficult to find a motorbike rental outlet that would not require a passport as a deposit. Thais would simply not sleep well if they didn't know they had an upper hand in any transaction. Most places however are reasonably honest (at least here on Samui) and although scams do happen it's not unreasonable to leave the passport with the renter. Please try to find "reputable" shops though; shops that actually have fixed premises, best of all if they also run motorbike repairs because their motorbikes are better maintained. It may also be a good idea to put down a fake address on the rental form. Definitely STAY AWAY from "fly-by-night" operators lining the street-sides and gone the next day. Their rates are often very attractive and their motorbikes spanking new and trendy. All these indicate high degree of danger of a possible scam later.

It is also reasonably safe to rent from hotels or guesthouses where you stay at as many rent motorbikes to their guests. And ride slowly and carefully, same as most of Thai people, watching out what other traffic is doing at all times! Also forget the rules from home (rite of way especially) as careful riding and giving way to bigger vehicles and each other are the only rules the Thais know.

(Please move to another forum if more appropriate - thanks)

"Russians dont drink more than any body else"

It would appear that you haven't spent a lot of time in the Soviet Union or the Russian Federation. Alcoholism is very high as are deaths by suicide. Neither however has yet to be proven to be a factor in respect of this particular event.

On the subject of suicide Thai's themselves were not too long ago resorting to the "final solution" at the rate of just under 50 every 24 hours AND that was just in the Big Mango.

I guess it helps to keep the population down.

You are right on target and many people in the state of deny about the harmful of Alcohol. In America if the person can not go through AAA meeting then he or she never admits that they have problem. Russia has drinking problem and it is well known. Please accept it as a fact. My take and opinion.

Some of you might have missed this since it seems to be written in Engwish...

The operator denied having rented a vehicle to the Russian, who was in possession of the passport when taken into custody by Patong Police.

The Operator (The Thai man who owns the Bike Rental Business)

Denied having rented a vehicle to the Russian (this means he did not rent a bike to the man)

who was in possession of the passport ( "who" is referring to the Russian, and this indicates he had his passport on him)

Now the Passport is connected to someone being "Taken in to custody". So two men one is going to be taken away from this scene, whom do you think went to jail (i.e Custody) Hint: "He resembles a chandelier" Please do not let any clarity or facts hinder what you might post.

Edited by Mugg

I have been visiting Patong couple of times a year since 1996, always hired bikes never had a problem, tuk tuks a rip off ? yes, but most of us earn a hell of a lot more money than them so whats it matter, to much moaning on this page

The extreme majority of bike renters are completely honest people. In 20 years here I have never had a problem, and not paid one single extra bill.

I know dozens of others who has been less lucky (including 3 deaths) and hundreds of thousands of Baht.

Overwhelmingly self-caused problems, on fast bikes and alcohol involved.

Pr. experience & common sense says the old wise owl:

- Alcohol, and much too much, is by far the main source of any real trouble. Simply risky driving is the next.

- Do you need something cool? Or just to get from A to B? Risk of problems - accidents, engine, fraud, theft - grow exponentially with the sexyness of the bike. Drivers of Honda Dreams seem to be protected from above.

- Stay far away from renters at the beach roads. Many of them are OK, but unless you know who, well, too many bad stories.

- Rent from where you stay anyway, or from shops with a proper address. Check that the address on the contract is the same as the address you get the vehicle from.

- Smile and say: what a nice shop. Then ask politely if you can take a picture of the shop and renter.

- Take a copy of your passport before you go to the shop. They do not have a copy machine. Make the renter sign your copy.

- You must of course have a copy of the contract (usually they will give you the original).

- Be sure that the price given on the contract if the vehicle is lost is reasonable. That will typically mean up to the price of a similar new, depending on state.

Do not expect, though, the price to actually reflect the actual value - it will (of course) invariably be more.

- It does not hurt if there is another decent activity on the same address, like a laundry shop. Shows that people are there to work.

- In tourist areas I trust Thai women and established foreigners more.

- Respect the rental.

BTW, especially on Phuket police are real into on stopping people on bike and check for a license. (You need an international one, though some will accept your own).

Sorry for the russian chap. We will never know for sure what happened.

Im a new member, and as some others have joined the forum to be able to comment on issues like this. Ive lived in Thailand 6 years and travel quite extensively, basing myself in a couple of places, ie Pattaya and one of the main islands south. The motorbike scams are rampant as are the jet ski scams and the authorities are well aware of them, and will do nothing to correct this pathetic habit they have. It's as though, "user beware"even though you could ,at the least loose a lot of cash or as this unfortunate person ,his life. Jet skis have been banned in places like Krabi, as they do not want to be associated with it, as it is ,strangely enough ! bad for tourism, but sadly the motorbikes are still available for the unfortunate farangs.

Edited by metisdead
Font repaired. Please use default forum font when posting.

I have been visiting Patong couple of times a year since 1996, always hired bikes never had a problem, tuk tuks a rip off ? yes, but most of us earn a hell of a lot more money than them so whats it matter, to much moaning on this page

That is what you think. I know a tuk tuk driver in Phuket who has a brand new 4WD and big ass fuc_king house in Phuket. They are not as poor as you imagine and made their fortunes taking the piss out of weak people like you.

Poor guy. But don't blame the renter. Nobody likes them and we know why but have a look at this situation without prejudice:

1. The victim tried self-immolation or at least demonstrated such intention

2. After that he killed himself in the cell

Looks like alcoholic psychosis. Aggressive behavior and suicides are usual things for this decease.

Like all stories in Thailand, you have to read between the lines, and the real truth will never be known. I am not buying that self immolation story, as stated by the rental operator. Sounds like the Russian guy was ripped off, and came back looking for revenge by burning up some motorcycles. I suspect that right now the rental operator is crapping in his pants, hoping the Russian mafia does not come after him. :jap:

because , thais copy russian style !!!

Tourists are always being ripped off - its amazing how this guy managed to pour petrol on himself and the bikes -errrrm!? and the owner managed to push him away from the bikes and he was held down by tuk tuk drivers - errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr??????? amazing how there are always bottles of petrol around a hire shop!

Did the russian dare to question anything at the bike rental shop and was assaulted by any strange sort of imagination - ie pay for something and petrol was doused all over him? Just a questioning thought that WILL NEVER be asked or answered

Another thought when will it be time that Phuket is listed as one of the most dangerous places in the world!

Why on earth would anyone be placed in solitary and be able to hang themselves????? Is solitary where NO-One cab be seen??????

It seems that the article does not give a hood about the murder or official suicide of the Russian. It is about the passport that nobody needs anyhow on an Island. The passport issue is not related at all to Phuket. It happens everywhere. Even hotels keep passports sometimes if they not really sure about a person, it seldom ever leads to problems. Just like in this case. There was NO passport problem. The chap had his passport on him and the man interviewed said that he was saying something about his passport that he did not understood. So back to the death of the Russian I hope.

That is what you think. I know a tuk tuk driver in Phuket who has a brand new 4WD and big ass fuc_king house in Phuket. They are not as poor as you imagine and made their fortunes taking the piss out of weak people like you.

I have also hired motorbikes from the beach road over the last 10 years without any problem except after the Tsunami when the guy ended up in hospital and lost my passport. But you could hardly blame him for that, he was lucky to be alive having suffered a broken leg amongst other injuries and just told me (by phone) to leave the bike at the hotel. Ever since he lets me hire and keep my passport.

I,d really like to know how a tuk tuk driver makes this sort of money; most spend all day sitting around waiting for a fare, that's why they take all the parking spaces. Methinks he is more likely one of the "controllers" taking the rental payments on a fleet of tuk tuks. Is the guy you know, by any chance, the son of a local politician?

First, the term "reputable operator" is a total oxymoron. There is no such creature, other than in the fantasy brochures handed out by the Thai.

Second, about the only way to actually prevent yourself from being scammed is to pick out a motorbike, then whip out a camera and take photos of it before you drive away. Oh, that's IF the guy renting it will let you and doesn't have a screaming fit first and try to take your camera away from you.

You insult both my business and myself with absolutely no knowledge of either. Would you like email addresses of 20 or so multi-repeat customers?

You read it the same as I did at first but re-read it and the Russian had his own passport. And with the smell of alcohol he probably was pretty drunk.

How do you smell of alcohol when you have gas poured over yourself?

Difficult to pour gas on yourself because gas is a vapour biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif