Posting Nude Planking Photos On The Internet An Offence In Thailand

webfact

Nude planking photos online an offence

By The Nation

30158300-01.jpg

The Culture Watch Centre warned yesterday that posting nude planking pictures on the Internet was a legal offence.

"We will write to the National Police Office as well as the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Ministry to ask that they block [Web pages containing the pictures] and nail down the people who posted them," the centre's director Ladda Tangsupachai said. She said people who posted such pictures would face legal action for violating the 2007 Computer Crimes Act.

Ladda also said that although it was not illegal to perform nude planking in private places, she warned people against it, saying that it was "not constructive" and "inappropriate".

She was speaking after nude-planking pictures began to appear on the Internet. Ladda said, however, she agreed with Pabpiab (polite squat sit), or "Thailand Planking". "My praise goes to children who have done this. It's like turning a crisis into an opportunity," she said.

Planking can be dangerous and damaging to property if people attempting the act choose the wrong place for the "lying down game".

Lara Louise Pland Saen, 20, a tourist from the Netherlands, climbed over the roof of a car-rent company in Chiang Mai on Sunday night in the hope of planking, but ended up breaking many roof tiles.

The broken tiles fell and damaged a car parked below.

A security guard quickly alerted police and Saen, who was clearly drunk, was arrested. She later admitted she was trying to perform planking and offered to pay compensation.

The company, however, has refused to settle the case out of court. It has insisted that she should be charged with intrusion and causing property damage.

In a related development, Mahamakut Buddhist University's assistant rector for legal affairs Songkran Atchariyasap said that after personally offering a reward of Bt5,000 for information identifying a man seen planking in a monk's robe, he had obtained pictures and "crucial information".

He plans to give the information to the National Office of Buddhism today.

"It's not an appropriate thing for a monk to do. If we find that the man in the picture is really a monk, we will alert the abbot of his temple. A reprimand must be issued," said the office's director Amnaj Buasiri.

Amnaj suggested that monks should begin "meditation planking" if they saw the trend as an opportunity to promote the practice of Lord Buddha's teachings.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-21

That's right, make a fuss. The more it is talked about as something "edgy" the more likely impressionable kids will plank. Aside from the idiots engaging in some dangerous poses, it is harmless fun.

As for the dumb drunk that damaged the roof and a car, charge her. She made a stupid decision and must accept responsibility for her idiocy. If she had not been caught, she wouldn't be offering compensation. Methinks that girl is going to have an expensive adventure and learning opportunity as she is digested by the Thai judicial system.

Nude planking photos? Never even heard of that. Someone post a link. :whistling:

As far as the tourist? The is company pressing charges :rolleyes: Right... an example must be made! What a load of crap. She made a mistake and offered to pay. A chewing out from the coppers along with payment for the damages is enough.

TheWalkingMan

Ladda also said that although it was not illegal to perform nude planking in private places, she warned people against it, saying that it was "not constructive" and "inappropriate"

Sounds like the sort of thing the Ministry of Funny Walks might say. I am honestly starting to think that someone in the government is taking the p**s.

Use half the man hours utilized on cracking down on monks doing a gag and work on this little corruption thing. I 'm guessing they have heard rumors. I also believe that their is technology today that can remove a stick out of ones bottom as this is my professional diagnosis as a tree trimmer. This does not pass the greased bb test! Anal retentive much?

"Ladda also said that although it was not illegal to perform nude planking in private places, she warned people against it, saying that it was "not constructive" and "inappropriate"."

This statement alone wants me to rip off my clothes and plank the hell out of myself in public! Maybe next to a monument perhaps. Thanks for this great idea! Ladies i believe this will be the next craze and it's always best to be one of the first so don't hold back! Be free! Be a trend setter!

Edited by FOODLOVER

Lara Louise Pland Saen, 20, a tourist from the Netherlands, climbed over the roof of a car-rent company in Chiang Mai on Sunday night in the hope of planking, but ended up breaking many roof tiles.

The broken tiles fell and damaged a car parked below.

A security guard quickly alerted police and Saen, who was clearly drunk, was arrested. She later admitted she was trying to perform planking and offered to pay compensation.

The company, however, has refused to settle the case out of court. It has insisted that she should be charged with intrusion and causing property damage.

That bit of frontal lobe higher level thought processing deserves a photo of the erstwhile planker

116793_headline.jpg

Lara at the police station

Thai Rath

http://www.thairath.co.th/content/region/180408

Edited by Buchholz

That's right, make a fuss. The more it is talked about as something "edgy" the more likely impressionable kids will plank. Aside from the idiots engaging in some dangerous poses, it is harmless fun.

As for the dumb drunk that damaged the roof and a car, charge her. She made a stupid decision and must accept responsibility for her idiocy. If she had not been caught, she wouldn't be offering compensation. Methinks that girl is going to have an expensive adventure and learning opportunity as she is digested by the Thai judicial system.

Arent you contradicting yourself in the extreme here by first saying that its too dangerous a thing for kids to mimic and next sentence stating that its "harmless fun" it can only be one of the other cant it?

Nude planking photos? Never even heard of that. Someone post a link. :whistling:

As far as the tourist? The is company pressing charges :rolleyes: Right... an example must be made! What a load of crap. She made a mistake and offered to pay. A chewing out from the coppers along with payment for the damages is enough.

TheWalkingMan

If she was Thai thats exactly what shed get. Its the same mentalilty that charges a Thai 30 baht for noodle soup and a farang (me) 50 baht. What Thailand needs is a complete boycott on tourism for one year - then they might stop this two tier system which CERTAINLY would be allowed in western countries. You may have been convinced that their poverty SHOULD allow them to do it - personally after seven years here I cant accept it. Its rude, its insulting and its wrong. Off topic - not really - if youre going to discuss the tourist planking affair, you have to mention the reasons behind her treatment.

. . . . Its the same mentalilty that charges a Thai 30 baht for noodle soup and a farang (me) 50 baht. What Thailand needs is a complete boycott on tourism for one year - then they might stop this two tier system which CERTAINLY would be allowed in western countries. ...

good grief

is there ANY topic on this forum that does not include a whine about the costs of living here?

That 20 baht must really ruin your weekly budget!

I have no similar complaints.

. . . . Its the same mentalilty that charges a Thai 30 baht for noodle soup and a farang (me) 50 baht. What Thailand needs is a complete boycott on tourism for one year - then they might stop this two tier system which CERTAINLY would be allowed in western countries. ...

good grief

is there ANY topic on this forum that does not include a whine about the costs of living here?

That 20 baht must really ruin your weekly budget!

I have no similar complaints.

Me neither, I never have problems with double charging.

dam_n my noodles cost 35 baht, I must be going to the wrong place again, but hey the guy next to me paid the same, and he was Thai.

Edited by beano2274

<snip>

<snip>

Her bribe must have been too low; or maybe she forgot to include the local responding police in her attempt.

Edited by wxpwzrd

Well it just shows "Planks" and "planking" is not just for a ships deck anymore!

The things a guy learns these days!laugh.gif

plank (plabreve.gifngk)n.1.a. A piece of lumber cut thicker than a board.b. Such pieces of lumber considered as a group; planking.2. A foundation; a support.3. One of the articles of a political platform.tr.v. planked, plank·ing, planks1. To furnish or cover with planks: plank a muddy pathway.2. To bake or broil and serve (fish or meat) on a plank: "Boards specially made for planking food have grooves . . . to hold juices" (Michael Stern).3. To put or set down emphatically or with force.

I guess it was not really about planking itself. I think the focus was more on 'naked'.

But what should I think about the concerns of Ladda Tangsupachai, while it is still possible in this country to take a 15 y.o. girl. Or thinking about the cruel fate of the now 12 y.o. girl raped by her brothers for 3 years (Bangkok Post: "Tortured by traditions").

Especially as such stories hardly become headlines cause no one here wants to see it. This moral uprightness is disappointing and sad...