Bangkok Subway Fare To Be Raised

webfact

Subway Fare to be Raised Soon

The Bangkok Metro is considering raising the fare for subway tokens, which it believes will not drop the number of commuters using the subway.

It also expects a rise in total revenue as the number of commuters continues to increase.

The Bangkok Metro Public Company Limited or BMCL Managing Director Sombat Kitjalak said the company will propose a plan to the Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand or MRTA, to increase transportation fares starting around October or November this year.

He said an increase in transportation fares is to be in line with the contract and to correspond to the rising inflation.

The current fare ranges between 15 to 41 baht per trip.

He said if the hike is approved, it will become effective on July 3, in compliance with the contract which states that the rate should be adjusted every two years.

He expressed confidence that the fare hike would not reduce the amount of subway users.

Sombat said the BMCL is expecting a revenue expansion of 8 percent, which would generate up to 1.7 billion baht this year.

The rising profit is hoped to cover their 7-billion baht debt by the year 2015, before their dividend payment period in 2016.

He said the number of commuters is expected to expand by 4 to 5 percent this year.

Meanwhile, Sombat said he believes any political party that is elected will support Thailand's subway and sky-train project, which will open investment opportunities for more construction companies.

He added that the BMCL is currently preparing for the auction of their Blue Line subway extension project.

The company hopes to open for auction at the end of this year.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-06-21

footer_n.gif

If they raise the price, I hope they give the commuters something in return. Like televisions that work, and aren't out 30% of the time, or extra cars on the train, or an air-con system that actually keeps the place cool. But hey, this is Thailand, it's just going to go into some money grubbing "boss's" pockets.

It's funny though, doesn't PTP say they will will keep a cap on BTS and MRT rates at 20 baht.........

Edited by REM

I hope they plan to add new carriages to trains to reduce the cramming that is currently happening.

Very unlikely as passenger comfort is not one of their highest priorities.

On a separate note the report is also misleading as any proposed fare increase that I understand will be July next year, not next month as implied.

So, am I understanding this right that the price would now range from 16 to 44 baht instead of 15 to 41? This is based on the assumption the rates will go up 8% but based on the article this doesn't make sense because they expect an increased revenue of 8% but also say they expect a 4 to 5% increase in ridership.

If they don't know how much they need (want) to raise the price then they have no business raising the price. If this reporter just decided to leave out the information about what the rate increase would be then he/she should be fired .... not to mention the article title is wrong. Also, the unspecified rate increase still need approval but as one poster mentioned it is unlikely a rate hike would take effect in July ahead of elections.

Edited by Nisa

Bangkok has a very efficient and clean subway system, not to mention CHEAP. Try London and Paris and then tell me that you guys are not purely complaining for the sake of it. I really, really wonder why some of you guys stay here, unless you can't afford to live in your own country?

....I hope they give the commuters something in return.  Like televisions that work, and aren't out 30% of the time....

I prefer travelling in carriages whose televisions don't work - and I suspect that I'm not the only person who does.

Let's not forget Thaksin's promise that if Pheu Thai form the next government, all Bangkok rail fares will be set at a flat rate of 20 baht per journey. :whistling:

And they can pay for the fare using their free Thaksin Party issued credit card.

....I hope they give the commuters something in return. Like televisions that work, and aren't out 30% of the time....

I prefer travelling in carriages whose televisions don't work - and I suspect that I'm not the only person who does.

Yes you're right about that, who needs those asinine ads trumpeting tripe.

....I hope they give the commuters something in return. Like televisions that work, and aren't out 30% of the time....

I'd be okay if they ran very loud announcements in Thai all day for a month, by an announcer who emulates an irate Hitler making a speech, explaining why people entering the subway should wait until those exiting the train to disembark before trying to get on the train or stand in front of the open doors. If that doesn't work then I want to see the TVs showing videos of offenders being tasered by Subway Security. wink.gif

Edited by Nisa

Bangkok has a very efficient and clean subway system, not to mention CHEAP. Try London and Paris and then tell me that you guys are not purely complaining for the sake of it. I really, really wonder why some of you guys stay here, unless you can't afford to live in your own country?

And not to forget, MRT is offering 50% discount to anybody over 60. Just mention that you are over 60 and the fare is half. NOW we can talk of really cheap transport. On one occation I had to show proof of age, any photo ID with birthdate or age will do.

I like the ads. They are creative and funny and makes the journey a lot shorter. As for trumpeting tripe, one man's meat is another man's poison.

If they raise the price, I hope they give the commuters something in return. Like televisions that work, and aren't out 30% of the time, or extra cars on the train, or an air-con system that actually keeps the place cool. But hey, this is Thailand, it's just going to go into some money grubbing "boss's" pockets.

I have not seen any of those problem you state on the MRT.. I can travel the whole length of the MRT for a measly 40 bhat in relatively cold comfort.. It gets a little cramped at rush hours but nothing like Hong Kong or Japan for instance and in 5 years i've certainly never experienced a problem with it, and the TVs you say? They don't exactly show the latest series of Lost or CNN do they, just Thai adverts, in Thai!

I have not seen any of those problem you state on the MRT.. I can travel the whole length of the MRT for a measly 40 bhat in relatively cold comfort.. It gets a little cramped at rush hours but nothing like Hong Kong or Japan for instance and in 5 years i've certainly never experienced a problem with it, and the TVs you say? They don't exactly show the latest series of Lost or CNN do they, just Thai adverts, in Thai!

They also tell you guys what stop is coming up or that you're at, in case you're in conversation with a buddy or have headphones on. That's the convenient part of it, cause the MRT definitely doesn't have signs letting you know what stop you're at that are visible from the doors, like the BTS. Oh yeah, and since that is what our fair pays for, that's what we should get. I agree, the price is right, and it's nice, and I choose it over the crowded, smelly BTS any day of the week, but I've definitely been down there many many times when it's hot, and I've heard my Thai friends and farang friends complain of the same thing!

Sorry to offend the dear MRT/BTS lovers out there........actually, I'm not!

They also tell you guys what stop is coming up or that you're at, in case you're in conversation with a buddy or have headphones on. That's the convenient part of it, cause the MRT definitely doesn't have signs letting you know what stop you're at that are visible from the doors, like the BTS. Oh yeah, and since that is what our fair pays for, that's what we should get. I agree, the price is right, and it's nice, and I choose it over the crowded, smelly BTS any day of the week, but I've definitely been down there many many times when it's hot, and I've heard my Thai friends and farang friends complain of the same thing!

Sorry to offend the dear MRT/BTS lovers out there........actually, I'm not!

thumbsup.gif

Interesting--the timing of the announcement coinciding with the implied lead enjoyed by PT and Yingluck, conveying the implication that subliminally associates the increase with them in contradiction with, and in an effort to discredit the PT or Thaksin promise of a flat rate of 20 baht. If the Dems were out front this story would likely have been buried.

Edited by arrowsdawdle

nope, you are not the only one - here is another vote for tv-less trains.

Edited by KED

Bangkok has a very efficient and clean subway system, not to mention CHEAP. Try London and Paris and then tell me that you guys are not purely complaining for the sake of it.

You're not really comparing like with like though, are you? Hardly a comprehensive metro 'system' in Bangkok, is it. Any old fool can run a couple of underground lines built within the last few years.

It's funny though, doesn't PTP say they will will keep a cap on BTS and MRT rates at 20 baht.........

" But hey, this is Thailand, it's just going to go into some money grubbing "boss's" pockets. "

" ... money grubbing "boss's pockets " Is not a Thai-only phenomenon. Some notable examples: the financial institutions of the USA, which being so greedy, imploded and took us all down, and the Bush family and all of their cronies, who sent us through some horrific wars, with republican chiefs profiting vulgar amounts of money. That's just for starters. So if the rail systems need a few more Baht, so be it. It's cheap enough. If you don't like it, you can freely exercise the right to walk.

It may be cheap for a foreigner on holiday, but for a local (and there are a fair few) on buttons, it is not cheap.

Bangkok has a very efficient and clean subway system, not to mention CHEAP. Try London and Paris and then tell me that you guys are not purely complaining for the sake of it.

You're not really comparing like with like though, are you? Hardly a comprehensive metro 'system' in Bangkok, is it. Any old fool can run a couple of underground lines built within the last few years.

Of course it's never possible to compare like with like but one has to take the big picture into account. Both UK and France are developed nations while Thailand is merely a developing nation. One would therefore naturally and logically assume that the former two countries would have the latest state of the art technology as well as offering a clean and comfortable ride.

Putting aside the efficiency issue, you will definitely get a more comfortable ride in Bkk due to less overstuffing of passengers and cleaner equipment, not to mention a safer (as in pickpockets) ride.

Ultimately however, with all things considered, I think Bangkok has a good subway system, relative to it's state of development.

It may be cheap for a foreigner on holiday, but for a local (and there are a fair few) on buttons, it is not cheap.

A typical ride would cost say, Bht 25, about 60p? A single Zone 1 journey in London is what, about Gbp 4? Of course it's not right to compare in this respect, the costs of living and salaries in each and every country differs. I agree that while it's not cheap for a local on buttons, it's a lot more expensive in London

HERE HERE