Felony Record And Applying For Work Visa...

Hello all...I am a 30 year old American male. I am very interested in applying for a visa to work in Thailand. Several questions though:

Is there a demand for native English speakers there?

Would it be possible with ESL certification? Or, would I HAVE to have a degree?

I'm guessing the biggest problem might be my criminal record. It is quite extensive, ranging from marijuana with intent to sell (12 years ago) possession of cocaine with intent to sell (10 years ago) to several larceny charges (the last one 3 years ago). I am clean now, and have been for several years. I would be willing to undergo extensive drug analysis (hair, blood, urine) if it would help.

Anyone know what my chances are? Or, if not, who I could contact to find out? Thanks in advance for your help...

Also, if anyone knows of any schools (in or out of the US) that would provide ESL training and reliable placement at a fair price, please let me know. Thanks again...

- Damian

Thanks so much for your reply britmaveric. That would apply to work visas also? I don't just want to visit with a passport... I would like to live and work there for a time. Would it be better to go there with just a passport, find a job, and then apply for the visa?

I have no outstanding warrants. I don't have an up to date passport though. I was more worried about outside countries looking and saying they don't want me there because of my past, not my own country letting me out (you'd think they would be happy to let me go...smiling).

As to my other questions, do you know how the demand is in Thailand for English teachers? And whether or not an ESL Certification would suffice for finding a job?

Also, what would be a suggested amount of money to have saved when I go there? I've got $4000 US currently. Would it be plenty or would more be needed to be on the safe side?

Thanks again to all who reply... Peace

- Damian

Section 12 of Immigration Act BE2522 excludes from entering the Kingdom anyone who:

6. Having been imprisoned by the judgment of the Thai Court; or by a lawful injunction; or by the judgment of the Court of foreign country, except when the penalty is for petty offence or negligence or is provided for as an exception in the Ministerial Regulations .

I have no idea what is provided for in Ministerial Regulations but seriouly doubt you will be exempted. Your offences are hardly petty and involved drugs.

But of course no one need know of your record. Indeed I doubt if you will be the only one here without a squeaky clean record.

I know a gentleman who was imprisoned in UK for 3 years for beating up a peadophile. Aggravated by the fact he was a semi-professional boxer. Some may say good on him.

Anyway he got into a heated drunken argument with a friend who said he was going to denounce him to the police (he was also working without a work permit).

Anyway he disappeared.....overreacted.... his friend wouldn't have gone and anyway I doubt if police would have given 2 hoots..... don't know and don't care if he has returned. (But if he's reading this...WELCOME BACK)

Moral. Keep quiet and you'll have no problems

So, I'm getting 2 different stories here... And, when you apply for a work visa don't they do a background check? And if I lied and they do look and find it, it'll be worse, no? Thanks again for the help... Anyone else know what is up with this issue?

- Damian

I don't. With the new database airport identification system I suspect there is a lot more data available than ever before and things are very likely to be changing fast. That is just a hunch and may not effect the poster but believe a lot more information is going to be in the share folder soon; it not already.

I have read convicted felon threads before on this forum. Not sure what their attraction is with coming to Thailand but I think it is high risk for them to do so; especially those convicted on drug charges on multiple occasions. Repeat offenders tend to be just that, repeat offenders. Getting busted dealing drugs in this part of the world can mean the death penalty. I think not wise to try and start a new life here

QUOTE(britmaveric @ 2005-10-15 18:15:38)

Knowing Thai(s) research skills and following up - u need not worry. Your criminal past is your criminal past, if you dont disclose it, no problem.

I agree with Brit.

I agree with you both, but Lopburi has a point, things are getting more computerised. OP - unless you have a warrant for anything, you'll probably be ok. I know many people working here with a history very similar to you. One word of warning though - unless you have been clean for over 1 year I wouldn't advise you coming. I know many addicts that come here to relapse, and believe me, they had big problems here. PM me if you want more info. It is big temptation here unless you get support from the usual 12 step groups, that are available in bangkok and other places.

In saying that, many do make it here, myself included.

I came here with 1000 pounds and started teaching over decade ago.

There are MANY jobs for English teachers and many places to do youe EFL cert.

Check on the teachers forum for that is your best bet.

If you don't have a degree it will be harder, but there are ways around it.

You will be able t get something without a degree or EFL, especially upcountry(out of bangkok).

I don't really see a problem getting into Thailand with a past criminal record. Nor do I have a problem with it, a lot of people do learn and rehabilitate!

Where I do see a problem is coming to Thailand without a degree and only 4000 bucks in the pocket!

You are supposed to have a degree, in whatever field, to be able to secure a workpermit. The fake Khao San degrees aren't you getting places like they used to do...

160000 Baht will not get you very far to get settled in Thailand...

Being very frugal and completely staying out of the nightlife, it would not carry much more then 4 months, which I consider an awfull short time to find your ways around this country to start a proffesional career...

Quite a few tourists burn that amount in a couple of weeks :o

I would say you'll have to double that amount and you might just buy yourself enough time to get into the system... As Neeranam posted, it is possible, but you'll need time to get settled and I don't think you'll make it with 4000$.

Edited by monty

I do not believe that a convicted felon can get a US passport, unless you have had your record expunged. Doable, especially if you have some connections or influence. Clean record for some years etc. This would be the first thing that I looked into.

I do not believe that a convicted felon can get a US passport, unless you have had your record expunged. Doable, especially if you have some connections or influence. Clean record for some years etc. This would be the first thing that I looked into.

from the website:

http://www.uspassportvisaguide.com/us_passport_faq.htm

reasons for not issuing us passports are:

1. Outstanding child support 2. Outstanding Felony/Criminal Warrant (Not including Civil infractions or parking tickets) Prior Felony Conviction that prohibits international travel

My first comment is, congratualtions on breaking with drugs, I think that is an achievement in its own right.

There is a demand for English teachers, I'd advise you take a look at Ajarn.com alternatively have you considered NGOs who are working with drug aditcts? I am sure you have a lot of very relevant experience to offer- perhaps combine English in an NGO.

Again, well done and I wish you the very best of luck.

GH

from the website:

http://www.uspassportvisaguide.com/us_passport_faq.htm

reasons for not issuing us passports are:

1. Outstanding child support 2. Outstanding Felony/Criminal Warrant (Not including Civil infractions or parking tickets) Prior Felony Conviction that prohibits international travel

So, what would those be?...The "Prior Felony Convictions that prohibit international travel". I've never had any violent felonies/sexually related felonies/murder etc... And the drug related ones were more than 10 years ago.

Monty, I live quite frugally. Do you think it would really be that difficult in Thailand? I'm not being sarcastic, I just am letting you know how I live. I don't party or even drink. I don't smoke cigs either. I EASILY live in America off of $1000 a month.

Monochaser, I live in Las Vegas, Nevada. Which is arguably the party capital of the world. I've got people offering me cocaine and anything else you can imagine on a daily basis, and 99% of the people walking by drunk and high. It's no problem. In fact, the more I see it the more I know it's not where I want to be.

So, I guess my first step here is the apply for the passport. And, see where it goes from there. Has anyone actually had felony drug convictions/larcenies and gone through the passport application process in the US?

I appreciate everyone's replies, and if anyone else has any information or advice it would be great....i'm pretty much blind here, and it seems like there's a lot of conflicting info on the net. I need to know what the real deal is. Thanks again.

- Damian

Edited by damian5000

My first comment is, congratualtions on breaking with drugs, I think that is an achievement in its own right.

There is a demand for English teachers, I'd advise you take a look at Ajarn.com alternatively have you considered NGOs who are working with drug aditcts? I am sure you have a lot of very relevant experience to offer- perhaps combine English in an NGO.

Again, well done and I wish you the very best of luck.

GH

Thanks for the props, encouragement and advice GH. It's much appreciated. I will look into the site which you posted.

- Damian

Damian,

I have done a little reading and I am sure you need not worry about being issued a passport. The passport application does not require you to disclose such information, although they may, as a matter of course do a background check.

The following is lifted from US Dept of State website.

A federal or state law enforcement agency may request the denial of a passport on several regulatory grounds under 22 CFR 51.70 and 51.72. The principal law enforcement reasons for passport denial are a federal warrant of arrest, a federal or state criminal court order, a condition of parole or probation forbidding departure from the United States (or the jurisdiction of the court), or a request for extradition.

Also further to a previous post where I quoted Thai law I have done some more reading and it seems that once you are in Thailand in your case you cannot be deported on the grounds you should have been denied entry. You have to be thought to pose a threat and even then your individual case is referred to a commission. By the way, as I am sure you hve noted, if you have not been imprisoned the law it is not applicable.

I don't profess to be an expert on any of the above before anybody contradicts me. I am trying to put your mind at rest.

For info on English teaching and general living in Thailand try reading stickmanbangkok.com. He is a, sometimes controversial, commentator on Thai life who is also a teacher.

I wish you the best of luck

Hello all...I am a 30 year old American male.  I am very interested in applying for a visa to work in Thailand.  Several questions though:

Is there a demand for native English speakers there? 

Would it be possible with ESL certification? Or, would I HAVE to have a degree?

I'm guessing the biggest problem might be my criminal record.  It is quite extensive, ranging from marijuana with intent to sell (12 years ago) possession of cocaine with intent to sell (10 years ago) to several larceny charges (the last one 3 years ago).  I am clean now, and have been for several years.  I would be willing to undergo extensive drug analysis (hair, blood, urine) if it would help.

Anyone know what my chances are? Or, if not, who I could contact to find out?  Thanks in advance for your help...

Also, if anyone knows of any schools (in or out of the US) that would provide ESL training and reliable placement at a fair price, please let me know.  Thanks again...

Hmmm, I don't think $4,000 USD is going to be enough for you to get into local politics. Best bet: Save more and spend your 1st year going to university, probably Mahidol. You'll quickly find out that you want a car, that the cars aren't cheap and everything you thought about living here was wrong...

- Damian

Damian, you didn't mention if your prior raps were state or Federal offenses. The former would be less likely to appear in any database the Thais could tap through arrangements with Uncle Sam.

My record consists of only state offenses. My thoughts are that anyone with an internet connection can get someone's full criminal record with ease. But I'm not so worried about it anymore. It sounds like it won't be a problem based on what i've heard here. I appreciate everyone's help.

And as far as Las Vegas being the party capital of the world... It's not that I think it is. It's just widely considered so...Which is what I posted. Anyways, enough of the moot points. Thanks again all...

- Damian

Q for fears,

Give him the benefit of the doubt.

If you re-read Damian posts he does appear to have overcome his problems.

His drug offences were committed when he was quite young....exuberance of youth? Larceny....likely to re-offend.....I doubt it.

There are a number of very unsavoury types who reside in Thailand. I suggest you save your vitriol for them.

By the way Damian do you have any visible tattoos? Now, that really gets up Q for Fear's nose if you care to read his other posts.

Hey Pal, why come here? You are a CONVICTED felon. Just stay in your native land and rehab yourself for 20 years. No need to export your crap to other nations

He's paid his debt to society. And rehabbing felons certianly are not helped by attittudes like yours. You have no right to speak for Thailand, Thais nor expats. Certainly Thailand would benefit more from a productive reformed felon than the knee-jerk bleatings of an internet hero such as yourself.

Q for fears,

By the way Damian do you have any visible tattoos? Now, that really gets up Q for Fear's nose if you care to read his other posts.

Laughing...No, no visible tatoos. And, I think I'll stay away from Q for Fear's ignorance for as long as is possible. Peace to all.

- Damian

Hey Damien,

I have a few convictions one is possesion for the purpose of trafficing (Pot). This was 20 years ago. I have travelled the world extrensively and the only country I have had a problem entering is the US! I have been in Thailand for 10 years. I wouldnt worry about it. I live in the south and they are always looking for teachers.

Good luck!