Nakhon Phanom

david96

Don't think you will get much response on NKP hee. This would be my city of choice to live in but there is just not the level of infastructure that I feel comfortable with here. The river area here is beautiful. I have been to the city many time and only see the occasional falang. They are around though. One guy owns a travel agency there and a really nice guy.

The city acroos the river in Loas has some great French design on buildings if someone had the money to restore them. I was told once that NKP will never be a tourist spot and that keeps it quite. That is good but I think there is a lot in the area to offer.

As stated above just not enough infastructure for me.

Any Thaivisa members reside in Nakhon Phanom?

ive just been there for 1 night no falang bar as such but iam sure there are guys around maybe not on the net i like it down there quiet not so much tourist but i guess that may change when bridge finished at muckdahan

we live in udon and in 6 years ive seen massive changes

I've visited a few times and agree that the city is a gem. Lovely views, nice surroundings, very quiet. Would be a nice place to live. It will never be much of a tourist destination and, in terms of activity, will be overtaken by Mukdahan, once (and if) the Friendship Bridge is completed.

Last time I was there I saw no tourists whatsoever. The once active "restaurant row" (down by the clock tower) is now completely dead and many of the buildings have fallen into ruin.

Must admit have never frequented many bars there, we stay at the river view hotel and usually grab a carton and suck a few heinies in the pool, great views from there, very pleasant.

Went across the river once but wasnt impressed, not very clean place, people point and stare at you and hot beer, couldn't wait to get back

Must admit have never frequented many bars there, we stay at the river view hotel and usually grab a carton and suck a few heinies in the pool, great views from there, very pleasant.

Went across the river once but wasnt impressed, not very clean place, people point and stare at you and hot beer, couldn't wait to get back

Is there an official borderpost where farangs can leave/enter Thailand/Laos?

• 2 weeks later...

My wife's family is from there so I will be there for a few days from 8th February. Will be staying at the River View. I agree it is very quiet but a beautiful city. If they build a bridge there to open up trade to the East it could become a major city though.

Veritas

They have a border post but you must have lao visa before you get to NKP.  In other words you must get visa in BKK before you go to NKP or your home country.

We got our Visa from Khonkaen, cost about 1200baht from memory.

The Lao immigration office shuts down for an hour 1200 til 1300 and the boats didn't start running again untill 1400.

We got a Tuk Tuk and went to the markets then on to a Wat which has Buddha's finger bone or so we were told.

That's about all there is there, not worth a visit unless you want to get visa stamped IMHO

• 4 months later...
there is a university there already

I am writing about the New University built between the City and Airport. It will open this summer. It is under construction.... Entrance: Photo taken by myself in december 2005

post-28092-1143074088_thumb.jpg

Edited by Asian Frog

ABOUT THE NEW NAKHON PHANOM UNIVERSITY

Establishment of Princess of Narathiwat University and Nakhon Phanom University

The Council of Ministers, Royal Thai Government had passed a resolution on 8 July 2003 agreeing in principle of the establishment of two new universities: Princess of Narathiwat University and Nakhon Phanom University. The Royal Thai Government assumed that the establishment of new higher education institution should pull resources from different sources and utilize these resources to the fullest extent with minimal additional investment and amalgamating existing institutions to form a new institution of higher learning without jeopardizing original philosophy in the establishment of that institution.

The Council of Ministers had also laid down principles for the establishment of new higher education institutions as follows:

To maximize utilization of existing resources and save national budget and to avoid investment in the construction of new facilities,

To provide opportunity for young people in provincial areas and nearby to have access to higher education so as to generate social, economic development of the region and to improve their quality of life,

To promote local people's participation in the delivery of educational in accordance with the National Education Act of 1999, together with the improvement of efficiency and quality of teachers, instructors, educational personnel and local authorities. Teaching and learning should also be relevant to the needs of local communities,

To enhance national unity and security by integrating principles and virtues into all curriculums which will help promoting better understandings and good relationships: creating awareness on national, social and cultural integrity as responsible citizen with the ultimate goal to promote harmony and unity among communities in the north-east provinces and the southern provinces,

To develop both Nakhon Phanom and Narathiwat province as center for Indo-Chinese Studies and Islamic Studies and researches in this region respectively, to reduce deficiency of foreign currency from studying in foreign countries and to attract more foreign students to come and study in Thailand,

To support and participate in the study, research and preservation of local wisdom, heritage and culture with the special emphasis on the promotion of better understanding on traditions and cultures and international culture.

The Princess of Narathiwat University (PNU) will be established by merging together four institutions of higher learning in Narathiwat province namely Baromarajonni College of Nursing Narathiwat, Narathiwat Technical College, Narathiwat Agricultural and Technical College and Tak Bai Vocational College. Teaching and learning at PNU will be diversified by integrating curriculums from different institutions of higher learning into a new PNU curriculum and will avoid discontinuing former curriculums of merged institutions. Enrolment of students from both main stream and vocational stream will be encouraged. Study programme for vocational students will integrated in order that when finishing students will be able to work professionally or students can choose to continue higher education. PNU has a philosophy to provide diversified study programmes and to upgrade lower-than-degree education by delivering degree and lower-than-degree study programmes such as certificate in technical education or diploma programme.

The establishment of PNU will be instrumental in solving problem and campaigning for peaceful coexistence in southern Thailand. PNU curriculums will be multidisciplinary with a mission to produce qualified graduates fit for employment. PNU will incorporate an international Islamic College as part of the university. Islamic College will integrate Islamic norms, virtues and principles into its curriculums. A few countries in the Middle East such as Bahrain, Morocco had already pledged to provide assistance to develop Islamic Studies curriculums and to send their lecturers to teach at the College. The Royal Thai Government has also sought academic assistance from the famous Al-Azhar University in Egypt to guide the development of Islamic College’s curriculum and staff development. It is expected that PNU will start to enroll students in academic year 2005.

While in establishing the Nakhon Phanom University (NPU), Boromarajonni College of Nursing Nakhon Phanom, Nakhon Phanom Technical College, Nakhon Phanom Agricultural and Technical College, Nakhon Phanom Rajabhat University and Nakhon Phanom Campus of Maha Sarakham University will be merged to form a multidisciplinary higher education institution. Nakhon Phanom University will be designed to provide academic services to Thailand northeast and the Greater Mekong Sub-region with the emphasis on Indochinese Studies. Curriculum of the new university will be more flexible for students from other discipline such as vocational education, agricultural and technical to continue their studies onto higher education and lower-than-degree programmes. NPU is scheduled to start the enrollment of students in ademic year 2006.