Strawberry Plants

I don't think they will grow here. Too hot. Same as potatoes. Anyone had any success growing spuds in Southern Isarn?I have grown wonderful plants and harvested a fine crop of marbles.Generally strawbs like a very cold "winter", in fact many people put their runners in the fridge to "cool" 'em down, before planting out in the spring. That may work here. In Oz, the best mainland spuds come from around Ballarat, the best strawbs, from the Dandenongs. Any body else tried? Any success? Did you grow them in Oz, I.A.? If so where? I did well with them in South Gippsland and Melton ,both in Victoria

Edited by afarang

I don't think they will grow here. Too hot. Same as potatoes. Anyone had any success growing spuds in Southern Isarn?I have grown wonderful plants and harvested a fine crop of marbles.Generally strawbs like a very cold "winter", in fact many people put their runners in the fridge to "cool" 'em down, before planting out in the spring. That may work here. In Oz, the best mainland spuds come from around Ballarat, the best strawbs, from the Dandenongs. Any body else tried? Any success? Did you grow them in Oz, I.A.? If so where? I did well with them in South Gippsland and Melton ,both in Victoria

Yes, in Dandenong and in Lilydale. To me its worth the chance, we get down to 16 degrees and lower in Dec Jan and I have a large display fridge if needed. If I cannot get the plants then I will start picking off the seeds if needed.

When I was living there ,those areas used to get down to zero or lower. Not today, I must admit. I don't know how cold it gets in the Dandenongs, these days. At Melton ,when I was younger(much), we used to get many frosts, around September. i spent 2 years there, 2005-2006- Not one frost. I am sure you can get runners from Chiang Mai. I think a very good idea to " fridge". Where it was done in Vic., they put 'em in the fridge from early Autumn until planting out in Spring. If I remember correctly many people used to lift their runners every one or 2 years.

If youre ever in the Mae Hongson area my wife can supply you no problem.

They grow well here in the dry season, but they really dont like the wet.

Any chance she could post or bus some (two dozen plants) to Sisaket? Happy to send funds to her bank account to cover the costs prior to despatch.

IA

Should be able to, let me talk to her.

Im away from home for another couple of weeks.

When does dry season start in Sisaket ?

PL,

Thats great, thank you. Dry season in Sisaket? Well if you look at my rice at the moment you could be excused for thinking the dry hasnt finished yet. The rains stop here mid December at the lastest.

I was hoping to get the plants started before that. Have a spot at the house where I can control the environment, not a hothouse but close enough. The hope is to see if I can get them to propogate early.

Isaan Aussie

• 3 weeks later...

HI , i have grown strawberries in australia in hydroponics and source "certified viral free frozen runners" and they are sent in the mail and are beautiful big strawbs, and hydroponics is so versatile, pick them up and put them under cover when it rains if that is a problem, rain was never a problem with me. i am sure you could get some sent to Thailand

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

i just purchased some seeds from the USA and hope to get them in a couple weeks, i never grew from seeds but will try, will tell her not to plant till dry season and cool season coming up, what about December in ISSAN,,?? i get my seeds mailed to my daughtes house and then she mails them,, i know you not suppose to but <deleted>,,

• 2 weeks later...

Sure can, mine are growing well, thank your wife PL

Pictures?

Nothing much to see I am afraid, just small healthy strawberry plants! Since planting them out they have grown new foliage but no amazing berries as yet. Is there something in particular you want to see?

Actually, PL you might tell your wife to use a smaller box next time. There was damage to the foliage caused by postal handling, our postie asked what was in the box when he delivered it. He shook the heck out of the box while he was asking and a dare say so had everyone else who had handled it.

The plants themselves had a well developed root system so the loss of some leaves wasnt a big issue as they were replaced in a few days.

IA

Pictures?

Nothing much to see I am afraid, just small healthy strawberry plants! Since planting them out they have grown new foliage but no amazing berries as yet. Is there something in particular you want to see?

Actually, PL you might tell your wife to use a smaller box next time. There was damage to the foliage caused by postal handling, our postie asked what was in the box when he delivered it. He shook the heck out of the box while he was asking and a dare say so had everyone else who had handled it.

The plants themselves had a well developed root system so the loss of some leaves wasnt a big issue as they were replaced in a few days.

IA

Hi IsaanAussie,

I am strawberry grower in Belgium.

I also do research on strawberries with strawberry growers in northern Thailand (Bor Kaew).

The first results are full of hope.

With Western help, there is a great future for a successful, modern strawberry cultivation in northern Thailand.

In recent years we have made great strides, but there is still a long way to go.

Greetings,

Paul

post-76819-0-22445600-1313474642_thumb.j

post-76819-0-37201600-1313474692_thumb.j

Pictures?

IA

Dont expect big strawberries the first year, second year should be better.

Renders,

The strawberry "patch" is very impressive. Good luck with your efforts. Can you tell us what medium you are growing those in?

PondLife,

I have been here in Thailand for quite a while and have learnt not to get my hopes up too high, especially with anything new to the family. I hope to get the strawberries to multiply this year and will be well pleased with any fruit.

Berry Happy so far,

IA

I have strawberry plants that I brought from England a couple of years ago.

For transportation,I cut a 2 litre coke bottle in half,stuffed in the plant and taped the bottle back up, and put the cap back on worked a treat, I also did it with blackberries,but they died.