Thai Democrat Policies Get The Thumbs Up

webfact

Democrat policies get the thumbs up

By The Nation

Economists rate their post-poll plans as better than those of Pheu Thai

A group of 73 economists from 26 think tanks have given higher marks to the Democrat Party's economic policies compared to those of Pheu Thai.

The survey was carried out by the Bangkok University Poll and its results were released yesterday.

The pollster asked the economists to compare similar policies of the two major parties and found that the Democrats received a higher approval rating for seven of nine key policies, which the economists saw as feasible, realistic and practical.

The economists said Pheu Thai's policy to eliminate drug trafficking in 12 months is more realistic than that of the Democrats.

The Democrat policy of expanding the 3G wireless broadband network to all tambon nationwide received the same rating as Pheu Thai's policy of providing free Wi-Fi Internet in public areas.

The economists rated seven out of the Democrats' nine policies as practical. They considered the other two as unrealistic.

The two unrealistic policies of the Democrats are the one to set up a 2,500-strong special force to eradicate illicit drugs, and the expansion of 3G broadband service to every tambon in four years.

The economists consider five of Pheu Thai's nine policies as practical while the other four are unrealistic.

The four unrealistic policies of Pheu Thai are the one to increase the minimum daily wage to Bt300, eliminate narcotics in 12 months, build a high-speed train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, Nakhon Ratchasima and Rayong and expand the Airport Link electric railway to Chachoengsao, Chon Buri and Pattaya, build 10 electric train routes and collect a flat fee of Bt20.

The highlights of the Democrat policies are the minimum wage hike, the farmer income guarantee, the farm debt refinancing, the providing of soft loans for education to 250,000 students and the development of Laem Chabang port city.

The Democrat policy of building a 166-kilometre-long railway linking Bangkok to Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, and Samut Prakan also received high support from the economists.

The two parties were on par regarding the plan for a commuter train network linking Bangkok and five surrounding provinces.

Pheu Thai policies that got the lowest approval ratings were: credit card for farmers and credit card for taxi drivers to buy NGV gas, and the rice pledging scheme. The two policies were deemed unrealistic and impractical.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-22

The Dems have put forward realistic, doable proposals.

But that is not matching the dreams of the average farmer,

and doesn't provide enough 'pork' to vested interests interested in getting the maximum share of public finances.

Realistic doesn't seem to be electable in Thailand. Sad for Thais in general.

People don't listen to economists.

Another disappointing factoid.

Does not one think where the money comes from to pay the credit card fee for the farmers and taxi drivers. offering credit cards to people with low income is insane. In germany there was already a scandal because credit cards were issued to university students and most of them could not pay it back and were in serious debt problems. Same is going to happen here. But the general greed to too high to think logically.

People don't listen to economists.

Since almost all the campaign boards shows gifts THB figures (instead of real policies), they'd better listen to economists in this case.

Btw: only Dems don't play this cheap game but (or because of that) their boards have been destroyed.

Rather then rating the democrats new promises they should be rating the democrats on their successes - the Democrats policy of stifling news to Thais via wholesale blockage of internet sites, the Democrats abject failure to resolve 3G, Thailand' slippage in different international ratings for corruption, level of democracy, friendliness to international business, and don't forget they're turning a blind eye to allowing Generals to interfere in internal politics. I am no friend of Mr. Thaksin, but I think Ms. Yingluck will be a breath of fresh air.

Rather then rating the democrats new promises they should be rating the democrats on their successes - the Democrats policy of stifling news to Thais via wholesale blockage of internet sites, the Democrats abject failure to resolve 3G, Thailand' slippage in different international ratings for corruption, level of democracy, friendliness to international business, and don't forget they're turning a blind eye to allowing Generals to interfere in internal politics. I am no friend of Mr. Thaksin, but I think Ms. Yingluck will be a breath of fresh air.

The 2010 CPI ratings by Transparency International (using surveys from Jan 2009 to Oct 2010) showed Thailand dropping from a ranking of 84 to a ranking of 78 (ie perception of less corruption). Foreign investment has risen during the last couple of years. A lot of people are withdrawing funds from the country with the expectation of PTP forming government.

If you no friend of Thaskin why would you even consider his sister a "breath of fresh air". She is the only person he can fully trust in his absentia. She is in fact one and the same. Her policies and words are her brothers thoughts and desires. No such thing as coincidences in this day and age.

If you no friend of Thaskin why would you even consider his sister a "breath of fresh air". She is the only person he can fully trust in his absentia. She is in fact one and the same. Her policies and words are her brothers thoughts and desires. No such thing as coincidences in this day and age.

No wonder they say she is his clone

Do not forget that many of the websites that were blocked were inciting violence and hate. I read them before they were blocked. I do not see any sense to not block these kinds of websites.

Do not forget that many of the websites that were blocked were inciting violence and hate. I read them before they were blocked. I do not see any sense to not block these kinds of websites.

Seconded.

The block of radio stations conforms to this. But the problem is the overreaction: No difference between critical but acceptable expression of "free speech" and Al-Quaida style transmissions.

The radio station of my brother in law (cultural and Buddhist programme, some advertisement to finance) has been blocked too for short time.

He complained. No answer. But the block stopped.

Correct. Promotion of violent insurrection and seditious behaviour is not legal in any country of which I am aware.

Edited by lannarebirth

If you mean a breath of fresh air that she would be.

Thailand is currently doing extremely well economically considering the way the world has gone down hill. As usual you forget to mention that.

Abhist did a magnifacent job of keeping it together in spite of the PT Red shirt efforts to sderail it.

With Yingluck there would be a change for sure. Thailand would join the rest of the world with it's poor economics and Thaksin would recoup the money he had taken away from him.

That is a breath of fresh air I would not be in favor of.

Your cup of tea not mine or any one else who cares for Thailand.

Actually you are a funny man you talk about corruption and in the same breath push to turn the country over to the master of corruption.

Seconded.

The block of radio stations conforms to this. But the problem is the overreaction: No difference between critical but acceptable expression of "free speech" and Al-Quaida style transmissions.

The radio station of my brother in law (cultural and Buddhist programme, some advertisement to finance) has been blocked too for short time.

It is easy to point the finger at the government and cry foul no freedom of speech.

This is a very ill uninformed opinion.

Thailand is not a Banana republic it is a player on the world stage and like any other country it does not allow hate mongering on public radio shows. Perhaps it would be different if the station's in question were to report facts not half facts taken out of context. With the truth they could then urge there believers if they did not like what was happening vote differently. Much better than justifying civil disobedience and killing people because they will not follow you on your ill thought out program.

Seconded.

It is easy to point the finger at the government and cry foul no freedom of speech.

This is a very ill uninformed opinion.

Thailand is not a Banana republic it is a player on the world stage and like any other country it does not allow hate mongering on public radio shows. Perhaps it would be different if the station's in question were to report facts not half facts taken out of context. With the truth they could then urge there believers if they did not like what was happening vote differently. Much better than justifying civil disobedience and killing people because they will not follow you on your ill thought out program.

Correct in my native Germany, radio programs are blocked which promote racism, violence and radical leftist or rightist ideas. Thailand has the right to do this to to protect national security.

Exactly.

No wonder they say she is his clone

What the other say:

Coup Leader Willing To Join Government Of Thaksin's Sister

According to the 'logic' of some experts from the expat family man community this man, General Sonthi Boonyaratglin, must be a new arrival fresh of the boat.

Exactly.

no not exactly------"A breath of ....desp.air

Not sure if it is the economists who can't count or the usual poor reporting but their numbers just don't seem to add up here???

"The economists consider five of Pheu Thai's nine policies as practical while the other four are unrealistic.

The four unrealistic policies of Pheu Thai are the one to increase the minimum daily wage to Bt300, eliminate narcotics in 12 months, build a high-speed train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, Nakhon Ratchasima and Rayong and expand the Airport Link electric railway to Chachoengsao, Chon Buri and Pattaya, build 10 electric train routes and collect a flat fee of Bt20."

and then

"Pheu Thai policies that got the lowest approval ratings were: credit card for farmers and credit card for taxi drivers to buy NGV gas, and the rice pledging scheme. The two policies were deemed unrealistic and impractical."

Exactly.

Anyway, the electorate, the Thai people will decide and make their choice.

That decision will be partly based on the performance of the Democrats in the last 2 1/2 years and how the people rate their success.

Some people might have a different opinion than what your opinion is and they might vote for a different party than you would vote for.

If i look at the latest pools it seems like that many Thai people don't trust much in another 4 years of successfully Democrats leadership but would rather give Yingluck a chance.

So what is here exactly a "breath of ....desp.air"? :whistling:

:P

If i look at the latest pools it seems like that many Thai people don't trust much in another 4 years of successfully Democrats leadership but would rather give Yingluck a chance.

Betting on the election results is illegal, but I'm willing to accept you made an honest typing mistake and meant 'polls' here :rolleyes:

A post with derogatory comments directed towards all Thais and replies to it have been removed:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

Not sure if it is the economists who can't count or the usual poor reporting but their numbers just don't seem to add up here???

"The economists consider five of Pheu Thai's nine policies as practical while the other four are unrealistic.

The four unrealistic policies of Pheu Thai are the one to increase the minimum daily wage to Bt300, eliminate narcotics in 12 months, build a high-speed train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, Nakhon Ratchasima and Rayong and expand the Airport Link electric railway to Chachoengsao, Chon Buri and Pattaya, build 10 electric train routes and collect a flat fee of Bt20."

and then

"Pheu Thai policies that got the lowest approval ratings were: credit card for farmers and credit card for taxi drivers to buy NGV gas, and the rice pledging scheme. The two policies were deemed unrealistic and impractical."

And at least one of the unrealistic policies got still a better rating than a policy by the Dems concerning the same issue:

"The economists said Pheu Thai's policy to eliminate drug trafficking in 12 months is more realistic than that of the Democrats."

Blame it on the poor reporting.

And at least one of the unrealistic policies got still a better rating than a policy by the Dems concerning the same issue:

"The economists said Pheu Thai's policy to eliminate drug trafficking in 12 months is more realistic than that of the Democrats."

Blame it on the poor reporting.

No further details in the OP. I can only hope the 'eliminate' in PTP's policy mustn't be taken literally, like last time :ermm:

and then

let's see 9 - 5 = 4 - another 2 = where's the calculator ??:D

Edited by WeeGB

Exactly.

Anyway, the electorate, the Thai people will decide and make their choice.

That decision will be partly based on the performance of the Democrats in the last 2 1/2 years and how the people rate their success.

Some people might have a different opinion than what your opinion is and they might vote for a different party than you would vote for.

So what is here exactly a "breath of ....desp.air"? :whistling:

:P

desp-air-rather than fresh -air .... just a bit of humour. You are really pushing the boat out, agreeing with near all the red brigade are saying or doing, rubbishing anyone who points out their antics, and ways to get power.

Why don't you try to see the good in the P.M. instead of the total negative===and why can't you see the bad in the gang that wants to gain power, instead of promoting their ways. A vast majority of your reds in rural Thailand thrive on alcohol and handouts. But I do admit there are some that firmly believe in who they are voting for and the reasons. Whatever the outcome, July will tell, But please collect yourself and admit to right and wrong. Although my opinion is clearly not what you are interested in.

Breath of Fresh air eh?

Up to now she hasn't had anything to say of note,so no hint of of any forthcoming Fresh Air either!

or perhaps your idea of fresh air is different to mine?

Edited by MAJIC