Anyone Left Samui For Cambodia ?

have been to cambodia a couple of times(with a view to making a move)

the pros are (1)no visa hassle

(2)you can work,start your own business on an e visa(business)obtained on arrival at airport,1 year visa costs 273 US dollars

,renewable wthout leaving the country,and only 90 day reporting.

(3)much cheaper cost of living than thailand,for example local beer 30 baht a glass(and its ok beer)happy hour 15 baht........yes only 15 baht a glass. good western food in cafe's for 150-200 baht per head

apartments to rent in the centre of town(riverside district phnom penh)7000-9000 baht per month.

(4)english spoken widely,very friendly people,all smiles and very helpful.............cambodians actually still like farangs inspite of being colonised and a vietnam war that then went into 30 years of civil war.

(5) main form of transport is the tuk tuk,cost between 30 and 60 baht.

ok the cons (1)poor hospitals,very few pharmacy's,poor roads outside the capital,bus transport second rate but manageable.

(2) in phnom penh i would be reluctant to ride a scooter,the traffic is manic,would need a car in my opinion.

(3)would not eat in cambodian cafe or buy cooked food off a market stall..................hygiene not high on a cambodian's agenda

In conclusion,i would still move there.the thing that struck me was how much more friendly the cambodians are towards westerners than their thai counterparts and their imigration officers actually smile at you and welcome you to cambodia,i bet its a long time since that hapened here.

Edited by samuibeachcomber

I think you'll find its a similar deal to Samui at 60% discount on our living costs and although its a 3rd world system, their electric system is far superior to ours, in so much as it actually works. :) i think they also have more mosquitos so a higher concentration deet formula is advised.

If in Phom Pehn one might see a certain "smokie36" prowling aroung the streets. :o If so he is highly dangerous and not to be approached. :ph34r:

I know some people from Samui who made the move and are apparently quite happy there. I don't think they are TVers though.

I went there (PP) on a visa run and it noticed the locals speak better English than the Thais on Samui do. The tuk-tuk drivers didn't try to rip me off. The prices they offered was what I had read were normal prices. The ATMs give out US$ and most prices were I went were in USD. No coins to deal with, they use their own currency for that.

A lot of the diff I felt could have been capital cirty vs small tourist island differences as well. Overall I enjoyed my 3 days there and could see myself living there for a bit someday.

Lot more visa friendly, as mentioned beers, ciggies food a lot cheaper......Sihanoukville is an OK beach resort......great place to live and then hop over to Thailand every few months but as stated, hospitols etc are still very dated.

Lot more visa friendly, as mentioned beers, ciggies food a lot cheaper......Sihanoukville is an OK beach resort......great place to live and then hop over to Thailand every few months but as stated, hospitols etc are still very dated.

any timeshare OPC's operating the streets there :whistling:

Not yet but who knows in a few years time ;)

Not yet but who knows in a few years time ;)

yeo then there will be nowhere to run from the sewer rats B)

do they have houses to rent in that area, i would like to be near a beach area and some nightlife. mulling over moving as heard few that done it, just wondered how is the accomadation long term. would miss the like of tesco etc as well, and internet but i guess theymaybe have it.

I think you'll find its a similar deal to Samui at 60% discount on our living costs and although its a 3rd world system, their electric system is far superior to ours, in so much as it actually works. :) i think they also have more mosquitos so a higher concentration deet formula is advised.

If in Phom Pehn one might see a certain "smokie36" prowling aroung the streets. :o If so he is highly dangerous and not to be approached. :ph34r:

Well one of the poor backpackers decided last week that I'm "one of them" whatever that means....laugh.gif

Internet speeds are fine...beer is far superior to anything in Thailand....local food is to be viewed with suspicion....plenty good places for 2-3$ though if ya knows where to go....western meal 5-7$

Business is easy to do although nothing is in concrete...things are subject to falling into quicksand but overall the people are friendly and did I mention the beer prices....biggrin.gif

What am I saying.....stay at home folks the place aint big enuff for SBC and meself never mind the rest of ya! cool.gif

do they have houses to rent in that area, i would like to be near a beach area and some nightlife. mulling over moving as heard few that done it, just wondered how is the accomadation long term. would miss the like of tesco etc as well, and internet but i guess theymaybe have it.

Its a five month high season....check out the low season before you up sticks I'd reckon....easy enough to rent a place though. Beer prices in Sihanoukville start at 50c a pop.....smile.gif

It's a bit unrealistic to compare Samui with Pnom Penh.

One is a small island for tourists the other is a capital city (albeit in a bankrupt country).

However, PP is a great place to visit or live. A small ex-pat community where everyone knows everyone else.

Unless you eat farang food or find a Thai restaurant - the local food is pretty grim.I thought that the every day farang food was good but a bit expensive.

Great bread and cheaper wine (French influence).

The rainy season in most parts of the country makes Samui look like a desert :(

Accomodation is approx the same as Thailand.....No Tesco Im afraid but there are small independant stores in Snooky that offer western delights, cheese, hams, breads etc.....Sihanoukville is nice but it is also limited and if I stayed there would need to have a trip back to Patters every other month or so......logistically its not ideal as is a 4-5 hour bus trip from PP...try it and see what you think, there are a few Expats, Paddys bar is a good place to start, hes been there a number of years

found snookville allover the place,nothing central,main town is very ordinary,beaches,while better than pattaya,not a patch on samui,cheap place to live but miles from anywhere.once airport has been extended and domestic/internal flights begin the place will take off.currently 12 hours from pattaya overland and 6 hours by bus or taxi to phnom penh.girls(imho)not a patch on thais.preferred koh kong(border thown)has thai working girls,beautiful scenery(mountains,rivers etc)

Well one of the poor backpackers decided last week that I'm "one of them" whatever that means....laugh.gif

Internet speeds are fine...beer is far superior to anything in Thailand....local food is to be viewed with suspicion....plenty good places for 2-3$ though if ya knows where to go....western meal 5-7$

Business is easy to do although nothing is in concrete...things are subject to falling into quicksand but overall the people are friendly and did I mention the beer prices....biggrin.gif

What am I saying.....stay at home folks the place aint big enuff for SBC and meself never mind the rest of ya! cool.gif

around 136 st./104 st. and 51st plus sharkey's.................there's enough to go round smokie.found a bar/restuarant with 2 room accomodation next door to nordic bar in 136st for sale 12000USD.........lease ok too. i found PP an exciting place to be.

Edited by samuibeachcomber

around 136 st./104 st. and 51st plus sharkey's.................there's enough to go round smokie.found a bar/restuarant with 2 room accomodation next door to nordic bar in 136st for sale 12000USD.........lease ok too. i found PP an exciting place to be.

That's cheap....looked at a place on the riverfront going for $65k.....think I'll pass now ta....biggrin.gif

no problems with visas here, just pay and go, the way it should be ... isn't it just a tax for farangs after all ?

prices are quite cheaper than thailand, but you won't find much variety about minimarkets and supermarkets,

and no tesco and carrefour, but plenty of western imported food, wine is as cheap as 3$/bottle up to 100s of $,

beer is good and cheap and you can also find thai and lao brands.

sihanoukville is a joke compared to pattaya or hua hin or ... and phnom penh is no match with bangkok or chiang mai

but it's a vibrant and rough place, plenty of expats and nightlife.

i miss many things of thailand but at the moment i'm pretty happy here and the people is quite more friendly and down to

heart.

scams abound but are pretty obvious for anyone experienced with SE asia, and they're not too much pushy.

security can be a problem and the police is a big joke.

hospitals are scary places but in phnom penh now there are many private foreign hospitals (not cheap).

compared to years ago this country it's changing, but not as fast as it should be.

sihanoukville could become the new pattaya for instance if they just wanted to but so far it's just a big mess.

no problems with visas here, just pay and go, the way it should be ... isn't it just a tax for farangs after all ?

prices are quite cheaper than thailand, but you won't find much variety about minimarkets and supermarkets,

and no tesco and carrefour, but plenty of western imported food, wine is as cheap as 3$/bottle up to 100s of $,

beer is good and cheap and you can also find thai and lao brands.

sihanoukville is a joke compared to pattaya or hua hin or ... and phnom penh is no match with bangkok or chiang mai

but it's a vibrant and rough place, plenty of expats and nightlife.

i miss many things of thailand but at the moment i'm pretty happy here and the people is quite more friendly and down to

heart.

scams abound but are pretty obvious for anyone experienced with SE asia, and they're not too much pushy.

security can be a problem and the police is a big joke.

hospitals are scary places but in phnom penh now there are many private foreign hospitals (not cheap).

compared to years ago this country it's changing, but not as fast as it should be.

sihanoukville could become the new pattaya for instance if they just wanted to but so far it's just a big mess.

can forangs legally own guns. Not mickey mouse ones i mean big proper american and english made guns. like glock 17's smith and wessons. M16's ????

i like guns BOOM BOOM :D

is there more HIV over there ???

Yes, but it's not compulsory. B)

To the OP - try and contact ginqueen30. He closed up shop on his bar in Choengmon last September and moved to Cambodia.

He should be able to give you first hand knowledge.

To the OP - try and contact ginqueen30. He closed up shop on his bar in Choengmon last September and moved to Cambodia.

thats cool but i really like guns

thats cool but i really like guns

"This aint Kansas" is what I was told.....plenty annoying yanks to have a pop at if you get bored with the dartboard.....all kinds I suppose......

Sihanoukville airport has been 'about to open' since i was last there... 7 years ago!

am surprised the russians have n't coughed up,they've bought up most of the area.

They already own the airport.

can forangs legally own guns. Not mickey mouse ones i mean big proper american and english made guns. like glock 17's smith and wessons. M16's ????

i don't think legally you can but in cambodia everything is possible as long as you pay enough, suffice to say one of the tourist attractions in Phnom Penh

are places where you can shoot with different rifles and even portable rockets.

i don't think legally you can but in cambodia everything is possible as long as you pay enough, suffice to say one of the tourist attractions in Phnom Penh

are places where you can shoot with different rifles and even portable rockets.

You can't blow up a cow any more though...have to settle for an old banger! ohmy.gif