Mazda Car

foodiedude

Depends on what Mazda and the age........

If it is older car and your not fussy about new parts most things can be found or repaired..

Even Thai built cars, after a model change, 5 years on it is almost impossible to get new genuine parts..

as for 'but dont really want expensive or impossible garage bills' find a good guy most things can be fixed and will cost the same on any other make..

Depending on the model , a lot of Ford parts are interchangable with Mazda, eg the Bravo and the Ranger pick-ups. Sometimes the Ford stuff is cheaper,sometimes the Mazda stuff is cheaper.

Depending on the model , a lot of Ford parts are interchangable with Mazda, eg the Bravo and the Ranger pick-ups. Sometimes the Ford stuff is cheaper,sometimes the Mazda stuff is cheaper.

But mostly the Mazda stuff is cheaper, and the dealers less scummy. :thumbsup:

I'm wondering though if current models are still completely identical though? For sure a couple years ago you couldn't even visually tell the Ford Ranger and Mazda B series pickup apart if you took off the badge. Now there is at least visually a lot more difference between Mazda 3 and Ford Focus, and Mazda 2 and Fiesta. The pickups still seem similar enough, though the new model is due soon.

I have had three Mazda's over the past 20 years, one ute, a Mazda 3 (best car I have ever owned!) and now a Mazda 2. I have found that the dealership has always maintained the car extremely well and the price has always been cheap. I will never take my car to a Thai "mechanic" who operates outside as I have seen far too many poorly repaired vehicles (and boats - I work in the marine industry). Mazda in Phuket are very well thought of by owners.

But mostly the Mazda stuff is cheaper, and the dealers less scummy. :thumbsup:

I'm wondering though if current models are still completely identical though? For sure a couple years ago you couldn't even visually tell the Ford Ranger and Mazda B series pickup apart if you took off the badge. Now there is at least visually a lot more difference between Mazda 3 and Ford Focus, and Mazda 2 and Fiesta. The pickups still seem similar enough, though the new model is due soon.

Winnie, they basically are , as Ford are simply rebadged Mazdas. Fortunately ,there are many "bush" mechanics around who can fix bloody near anything. I have one - he is excellent.And very cheap.

there are many "bush" mechanics around who can fix bloody near anything. I have one - he is excellent.And very cheap.

yes agree 100%

I would never even think to take my older Audi A6 to the Audi Dealership, In 3 years the odd repairs & Service have come to under 20k, my mechanic will repair anything, like air condition motor burnt out last year, he got an VW part from the breakers and rebuilt to fit the Audi, total cost 1,400 baht.......... There was a Post running last year about Audi, there was one guy posted he had spent 150k on repairs in a year, and sold it as could not keep up with the repair cost.

As for Pickups always bought a new D-Max every 3 years, just happened to drive a Mazda, wow, so now have a brand new BT50 Hi-Racer + real great pickup, much better to drive than the D-Max.. the only downside will be in 3 year time and the value to exchange.

So don't exchange it then. What's the point; Thai built diesel pick-ups aren't even breaking adolescence at 3 years and will run very happily for over 10 years without major issues.

One thing I sometimes ask myself when looking at the absolute latest greatest pick-up model is: "What does it actually DO that my current one doesn't?" And the answer is invariably 'nothing'. The only difference would be to the size of my wallet, as I would be looking at a couple years of forking out over 10K baht each month to pay for it. Maintenance cost is a completely insignificant fraction of that. Once every several months there's something that needs changing.. a battery, a light bulb. I kind of feel brake pads coming up, haven't changed those in years. (Because I don't normally use brakes, ever. ;) ) I really don't see the benefit of changing for another pick-up.

"Much better to drive" is sometimes subjective. Technically they are trucks, on a ladder frame, with leaf springs. Both of them. A lot of the difference you feel would be new shocks and new tyres. (And a nicer / quieter engine, I'll give you that. ;) ) But if I wanted quiet then I'd get a Civic or something.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

So don't exchange it then. What's the point; Thai built diesel pick-ups aren't even breaking adolescence at 3 years and will run very happily for over 10 years without major issues.

One thing I sometimes ask myself when looking at the absolute latest greatest pick-up model is: "What does it actually DO that my current one doesn't?" And the answer is invariably 'nothing'. The only difference would be to the size of my wallet, as I would be looking at a couple years of forking out over 10K baht each month to pay for it. Maintenance cost is a completely insignificant fraction of that. Once every several months there's something that needs changing.. a battery, a light bulb. I kind of feel brake pads coming up, haven't changed those in years. (Because I don't normally use brakes, ever. ;) ) I really don't see the benefit of changing for another pick-up.

"Much better to drive" is sometimes subjective. Technically they are trucks, on a ladder frame, with leaf springs. Both of them. A lot of the difference you feel would be new shocks and new tyres. (And a nicer / quieter engine, I'll give you that. ;) ) But if I wanted quiet then I'd get a Civic or something.

Up to a point, depend on the km... 2005 exchange the D-max had done 426,000km, 2008 exchange the D-max had done 360,000km, 2011 change just got the green on white plates this morning and km stand at just over 17,000km and 3 months old..........

Old boy in the Village has a TFR Isuzu Station Wagon he bought new in 1991 so far has covered just over 80.000km in 20 years.

The Mazda has nicer seats, sure quieter engine but the the Isuzu engines are chain driven so always nosier...

The best driving D-Max in my view was the older one even after 400,000 +km, the 2008 Gold Series the worst, hated the steering from day 1, also at 3 years old the D-Max loses very little money regardless of the km covered.

Edit: As for 'A lot of the difference you feel would be new shocks and new tyres' No the 2008 D-Max was on it's 3rd set of new Shocks [2 + 3rd set were the upgraded ones] + 4th set of new tyres

Edited by ignis