October 15, 1969

Thomas_Merton

An event that was to have a profound effect on many lands, not the least of them being Thailand.

1969: Millions march in US Vietnam Moratorium

Americans have taken part in peace initiatives across the United States to protest against the continuing war in Vietnam.

The Peace Moratorium is believed to have been the largest demonstration in US history with an estimated two million people involved.

In towns and cities throughout the US, students, working men and women, school children, the young and the old, took part in religious services, school seminars, street rallies and meetings.

Supporters of the Vietnam Moratorium wore black armbands to signify their dissent and paid tribute to American personnel killed in the war since 1961.

The focal point was the capital, Washington DC, where more than 40 different activities were planned and about 250,000 demonstrators gathered to make their voices heard.

Read more

I read quite a bit about Vietnam after I came to Thailand.

http://countrystudies.us/vietnam/

Most of what I read was about their past from thousands of years ago up to the present. It's the stuff they don't teach in America schools.

From that I formed the opinion that Vietnam was fighting for their freedom the same as the USA did over 225 years ago and the country I was born in (and served in it's military) is guilty of invading Vietnam and killing millions of their citizens illegally.

I respect the soldiers on both sides of this conflict for their sacrifice in the performance of their duties. On the other hand, the stateside leadership should be accountable for any part they may have had in making this war.

Had the peace march been a few years earlier, perhaps the United States would not have killed so many of their citizens for no reason.

Now we have Iraq and I am wondering if history is repeating itself.

Perhaps its time for another march in Washington.

Learning the truth about the Vietnam war, to me, is similiar to learning that your wife is cheating on you. My trust and patriotism is gone. I don't think I could ever live there again.

The hippies were stoned out in places like California, unable to tell the difference between their own tits and the Tet Offensive or LSD and Laos.

From my limited knowledge of what went on in Vietnam, the grunts themselves were not too compus mentus either :o

TM, must you always bring up the past or are you still living the past. It's HISTORY and hopefully we have learned something from that. You can't seem to just live in the present and just go forward. Give it a rest.  :o  :D  :D

I love this post of yours...really, I do....it makes me chuckle everytime a post like this gets posted....it reminds me of a friend of mine back in the states....and he would say stuff like this with a certain whine and insistence in his voice when he would say it....he was fully aware of the whining quality of it and would always chuckle abit himself after making the comment. Keep it up...I love it!!!

Edit: thaibebop's post directly above it fits the mold too....I love it!!!!

Edited by chownah

A recent photo of Thomas Merton... :o

If anyone should waste their time in looking back at this poster’s, nearly 5000 postings (I know, but he appears to have very little else in his life), you will see that he has posted this same photograph about 20 times.

Each time naming the photo after a poster who disagrees with his description of the world.

Hippies compensate in many ways for their past indiscretions: some swing as far to the right as the barometer will go.

Coming from out there, where even the crows turn around, it is quite clear there is a planned agenda:

• to ensure nobody in Thaivisa can reasonably read or see anything that is hostile or damaging to the views of the Right;

• to ensure that the views of the Right are put across in the most persuasive manner possible.

Demonstrating against this type of agenda was also one of the aims of those who visited Washington on October, 15.

Especially those demonstrators who remembered the reasons for the sacrifices of the Second World War.

TM, must you always bring up the past or are you still living the past. It's HISTORY and hopefully we have learned something from that. You can't seem to just live in the present and just go forward. Give it a rest.  :o  :D  :D

I love this post of yours...really, I do....it makes me chuckle everytime a post like this gets posted....it reminds me of a friend of mine back in the states....and he would say stuff like this with a certain whine and insistence in his voice when he would say it....he was fully aware of the whining quality of it and would always chuckle abit himself after making the comment. Keep it up...I love it!!!

Chowna, I guess I'm just trying to be like you.

I want to say something and I'm saying something but it's really hard to say something but you know what I'm saying. Can you say something, anything intelligent ? :D

If anyone has taken the trouble to read the posts of this Merton guy, you'll see that most of them are are to provoke responses to his fadish liberal opinions.

After all, anyone who could get wound up about criticism towards Government sponsored courses for lap-dancers or who could try to turn the film King Rat into some kind of homosexual statement has to be pretty desperate.

So guys, leave it alone - all this chap wants is to prove how human, liberal and touchy-feely he is about the world.

:o

I want to say something and I'm saying something but it's really hard to say something but you know what I'm saying. Can you say something, anything intelligent ? :D

Wow!!!! You've got me down perfectly on the first try!!! Brilliant!!!!

If anyone has taken the trouble to read the posts of this Merton guy, you'll see that most of them are are to provoke responses to his fadish liberal opinions.

Yes, we all know this, and we have come to accept TM as he is, well maybe not Boon Mee, but still no bad blood here.

After all, anyone who could get wound up about criticism towards Government sponsored courses for lap-dancers or who could try to turn the film King Rat into some kind of homosexual statement has to be pretty desperate.

Didn't you read the book? :D

So guys, leave it alone - all this chap wants is to prove how human, liberal and touchy-feely he is about the world.

:o

Wow!!!! You've got me down perfectly on the first try!!! Brilliant!!!!

:o:D:D