Two Valid Visas?

Friend of friend of wife asked me this. She have two visas one education visa expiring Nov 11, one Non B expiring next week, work permit expire Des 11. Can she stay further on her education visa?

I personally questioned how it’s possible to have two valid visas but when I have no experience with either educational or Non B visas I recommended her to check with Immigration.

The visa that was last put into passport would automatically cancel all existing visa's therefore only the latest 1 is valid jap.gif

This is not correct, Visas remain valid and be used if required.

A friend asked Phuket immigration about this a few weeks ago as he received 90 days on the airport.

He has a valid Non-O Multi visa in his passport and received also a Tourist visa a few months later.

Phuket Immigration confirmed that the Non-O visa remained valid and therefore received 90 days on the airport.

Edited by merijn

Are you sure he received a "tourist visa" from a Consulate; and not a "visa exempt" stamp from immigration? Perhaps in error?

Immigration might, if asked, allow visa exempt entry while having a valid visa but having a non immigrant multi entry it would not make any sense at all. But for someone trying to save a single entry visa it sometimes has been an option.

The visa that was last put into passport would automatically cancel all existing visa's therefore only the latest 1 is valid jap.gif

A friend asked Phuket immigration about this a few weeks ago as he received 90 days on the airport.

He has a valid Non-O Multi visa in his passport and received also a Tourist visa a few months later.

Phuket Immigration confirmed that the Non-O visa remained valid and therefore received 90 days on the airport.

If your friend really receoved a TR after his O visa, then that would cancel his O visa - this is correct jap.gif

If your friend really receoved a TR after his O visa, then that would cancel his O visa - this is correct jap.gif

Not according Phuket Immigration.

They told him that the "old" Non-O visa remained valid and that he therfore received the 90 days on the airport.

Don't ask me why he went for a TR60 when he still had the Non-O as i don't know this. :)

You know that there is a big difference between what is written in the law and what immigration officers are doing. TIT.

Edited by merijn

Not according Phuket Immigration.

They told him that the "old" Non-O visa remained valid and that he therfore received the 90 days on the airport.

Don't ask me why he went for a TR60 when he still had the Non-O as i don't know this. :)

You know that there is a big difference between what is written in the law and what immigration officers are doing. TIT.

Exactly... I will catergorically state here that most of the officer don't even know the law. I was at Amnat chaeron Imm. and wanted to switch from non-ED to Non-B and I was refused, that I have to go out of the country, I told them that I have a non-imm. already that they just need to change the catergory, I have quoted the law for them which is 777/2551 section 2.6. They were just staring at me. like I was quoting a japanese law. I had ALL the required doc. stated, I ended up getting the switch in BKK.

I ended up with 2 visa too and it made me uncomfortable because everyone I've ever met who doesn't work for Thai Immigration says that it's impossible. It also causes a lot of confusion when I reenter Thailand, but consistently Thai immigration officers at airports have decided that I could reenter Thailand on either visa (but not on both visas simultaneously). In the situation that you described, the key for your friend would be to make a border run before their B visa expires and reenter Thailand on their ED visa. Then the ED visa should take over and they ought to be able to stay in Thailand until that expires.

The visa that was last put into passport would automatically cancel all existing visa's therefore only the latest 1 is valid

I can confirm this point. I asked for it at Hull in April. Answer was they have to cancel any existing visa prior to give a new one, yes. And if they forget or don't see it, previous visas are void by delivery of a new one; you must not use them!

The visa that was last put into passport would automatically cancel all existing visa's therefore only the latest 1 is valid

I can confirm this point. I asked for it at Hull in April. Answer was they have to cancel any existing visa prior to give a new one, yes. And if they forget or don't see it, previous visas are void by delivery of a new one; you must not use them!

I was told the same thing by the Thai embassy in Singapore when I applied for my B visa, but immigration authorities in Thailand seem to not agree. I don't doubt that by a literal interpretation of Thai law says that you can't have tow valid visas at one time, but the situation on the ground seems to be different.

Edited by OriginalPoster

The situation is very confusing, but no matter who is right or wrong, if there is an immigration problem in Thailand - IT WILL BE THE FARANGS FAULT - guaranteed.

I not understand how you can expect to hold Visa's for same country - ED & Tourist !!!! How can you officially be both ?? , but if your friend is holding 2 then I would be wary. jap.gif

The situation is very confusing, but no matter who is right or wrong, if there is an immigration problem in Thailand - IT WILL BE THE FARANGS FAULT - guaranteed.

I not understand how you can expect to hold Visa's for same country - ED & Tourist !!!! How can you officially be both ?? , but if your friend is holding 2 then I would be wary. jap.gif

The way that vit happens it that you apply for the first visa and you are fully qualified, then you apply for another visa in a different category for which you are also fully qualified, and then you wind up with both stamped in your passport. It might not seem fair but it happens.

Edited by OriginalPoster

The way that vit happens it that you apply for the first visa and you are fully qualified, then you apply for another visa in a different category for which you are also fully qualified, and then you wind up with both stamped in your passport. It might not seem fair but it happens.

but by entering the second visa into the passport automatically cancels the original - I've seen it confirmed by immigration officials - I accept also the immigration officials seem to have different views on this, BUT if you get an official who shares my view and you are travelling within Thailand on the earlier visa - then expect trouble jap.gif

but by entering the second visa into the passport automatically cancels the original - I've seen it confirmed by immigration officials - I accept also the immigration officials seem to have different views on this, BUT if you get an official who shares my view and you are travelling within Thailand on the earlier visa - then expect trouble jap.gif

Thanks for the warning, but it wasn't my choice and I don't derive any benefit from it being that way. What do you suggest that I do, storm into the Immigration office in Bangkok and insist that one of my visas be canceled?

Edited by OriginalPoster

Thanks for the warning, but it wasn't my choice and I don't derive any benefit from it being that way. What do you suggest that I do, storm into the Immigration office in Bangkok and insist that one of my visas be canceled?

No I do not suggest that as the earlier Visa is already cancelled - if you are in the country on the earlier one then yes, I suggest you go into your closest office & ask them politely jap.gif

No I do not suggest that as the earlier Visa is already cancelled - if you are in the country on the earlier one then yes, I suggest you go into your closest office & ask them politely jap.gif

Well, the situation is that I had an OA visa and then got a contract for consulting for a multinational company with an office in Bangkok. That company got me a B visa and a WP but the OA was not cancelled out. The contract expired, I made a trip out of Thailand, and when I reentered I did so on the OA visa. Then I went to immigration in Bangkok and applied for a reentry stamp on top of the OA, which according to the stamp in my passport gives me another year since the date of my last reentry. So while I'll admit that I'm concerned, is there actually a tangible reason that I should think that my OA is not still valid and that I must leave Thailand before the 2012 date that is stamped in my passport?

Edited by OriginalPoster

The stamp in your passport tells you till what date you are allowed to stay.

A re-entry permit only keeps that permission to stay alive, it does not give you any extra time.

That's all well and good, but I'm not looking for additional time, i just want to stay in Thailand until the date that was stamped in my passport. Conventional wisdom here is that it's impossible that Thai Immigration ruled correctly in my case. Not sure why, or what the consequences of that might be..

If the permitted to stay stamp was incorrect, they cna charge you with overstay. That would be 500 baht a day, with a maximum of 20,000 baht.

So the downside risk of doing nothing is 20,000 baht? Though I don't accept the premise that my visa stamp is invalid, I've wagered and lost 20,000 baht before. it would piss me off but it won't break me.

Edited by OriginalPoster

If the permitted to stay stamp was incorrect, they cna charge you with overstay. That would be 500 baht a day, with a maximum of 20,000 baht.

So the downside risk of doing nothing is 20,000 baht? Though I don't accept the premise that my visa stamp is invalid, I've wagered and lost 20,000 baht before. it would piss me off but it won't break me.

F1 interrupting - 20,000 is minimum wager - wrong BIB, more Bahts - 100,000 +++ - as they say - up to you rolleyes.gif

F1 interrupting - 20,000 is minimum wager - wrong BIB, more Bahts - 100,000 +++ - as they say - up to you rolleyes.gif

How do you figure 100,000 +++ risk, and what do you suggest that i do to fix it? Right now the stamp in by passport says that i'm good until 2012 and I've reentered Thailand a couple of times since that stamp was placed in my passport. On what basis do you think that I've done something wrong or that I'm going to encounter a problem?

Edited by OriginalPoster

The max fine for overstay is 20k. And it appears you are here on a legal non immigrant O-A visa entry in any case. Do not believe anyone will question your status. Consulate should not issue a new visa without the old visa being canceled but suspect that should make the newest visa invalid rather than the original O-A if push came to shove.

The max fine for overstay is 20k. And it appears you are here on a legal non immigrant O-A visa entry in any case. Do not believe anyone will question your status. Consulate should not issue a new visa without the old visa being canceled but suspect that should make the newest visa invalid rather than the original O-A if push came to shove.

How do you make newer Visa invalid - only way I can think is a trip back to incoming airport mad.gif

I'm not trying to pull any shenanigans, the reason that i ended up with two visas is that when I started doing consulting work I applied for a B visa and then a work permit and was granted both. An when I got the B, they didn't cancel the OA. I did exactly what Thai immigration told me to do and I'm willing to follow their rules no matter what they are.

At this point I'm actually not terribly worried about the whole thing. I'm paying my taxes in Thailand so I'm legal on that, and if my OA gets canceled out I can always go back to my country of residence (Singapore) and apply for a new one.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Digressing slightly, if a consulate for some reason refused a new visa application, do they have the power to cancel any existing visa or permission to stay?

I'm currently extending a single entry ED visa (from Hull) for study at a private language school but after a couple of years of extending, I'm not sure how long I'll be able to continue doing so. If I get an indication that my time is nearly up, I'm half thinking that when I'm back in the UK under an existing permission to stay (with re-entry permit), I might apply for a multiple entry ED visa for a new language school. Multiple entry suits better (closer and cheaper to cross border and return than extend visa) plus the uncertainty of the extension each time would be avoided if they did issue another single entry ED.

So if I tried this and the new visa was refused for any reason (too much study already/school paperwork incorrect etc...), would the consulate just return my passport or would they be able to affect the existing permission to stay?

I'm thinking not but wanted to ask anyway.

Edited by TCA

Not sure, but immigration has the power to revoke your permission to stay or deny you entry (even with a re-entry permit). The likelyhood of that happening in your situation is however very, very, very small.

It can happen in cases where they deem you a danger to society, etc.

There is no time frame for studying. And after you finish your study, you can go and study something else.