I Want To Learn Some Norwegian

BarnicaleBob

Are you planning to move or did you meet a Scandinavian lady. :D

No, I am of Scandinavian decent and may be taking the family there on vacation later this year. I thought it would be good to know a little bit of the lingo before we left.

Are you planning to move or did you meet a Scandinavian lady. :D

No, I am of Scandinavian decent and may be taking the family there on vacation later this year. I thought it would be good to know a little bit of the lingo before we left.

Well, If you are not from Finland, I can't see what your problems could be. :rolleyes:

A friend of my wife's who is Akha, married a Belarussian Jew with a Norwegian passport a couple of years ago and moved to Norway. The advanced state of the country meant that there were loads of Norwegian language courses available once she got there! she now speaks what i undersatand to be, passable Norwegian. Another possiblity is to pop do to Number one bar most afternoons or the Olde Bell most early evenings and ask for Tor, a fine upstanding (before about 8pm) Norwegian, who would I'm sure be happy to guide you through a few basic Norwegian phrases in return for a Lao Dark or two!! There are issues about whether you want to learn Bokmal or Nynorsk - two very different dialects of Norwegian, but, as I say, I'm, sure Tor would be happy to lead you through the intricacies of either!! Lykke til med studiene (good luck with your studies!)

A friend of my wife's who is Akha, married a Belarussian Jew with a Norwegian passport a couple of years ago and moved to Norway. The advanced state of the country meant that there were loads of Norwegian language courses available once she got there! she now speaks what i undersatand to be, passable Norwegian. Another possiblity is to pop do to Number one bar most afternoons or the Olde Bell most early evenings and ask for Tor, a fine upstanding (before about 8pm) Norwegian, who would I'm sure be happy to guide you through a few basic Norwegian phrases in return for a Lao Dark or two!! There are issues about whether you want to learn Bokmal or Nynorsk - two very different dialects of Norwegian, but, as I say, I'm, sure Tor would be happy to lead you through the intricacies of either!! Lykke til med studiene (good luck with your studies!)

I'm not sure of the dialect (Bokmai or Nynorsk) but I will be going to the area of Oslo and Bergen so whatever dialect would be used there is what I would like to know about. Nice idea about the Olde Bell and if it were just me I would go there and give it a try but with wife and daughter in tow I would rather it be a place without alcohol.

It is beginning to look like there may not be anyone in the Chiang Mai area that is interested in the job. With that in mind I went out to look for books or CDs that I could use but couldn't find any. If anyone knows of a store that carries such books please let me know, either Norwegian for This or Norwegian for English speakers will due.

Thank you everyone for your input.

I'm not sure of the dialect (Bokmai or Nynorsk) but I will be going to the area of Oslo and Bergen so whatever dialect would be used there is what I would like to know about. Nice idea about the Olde Bell and if it were just me I would go there and give it a try but with wife and daughter in tow I would rather it be a place without alcohol.

It is beginning to look like there may not be anyone in the Chiang Mai area that is interested in the job. With that in mind I went out to look for books or CDs that I could use but couldn't find any. If anyone knows of a store that carries such books please let me know, either Norwegian for This or Norwegian for English speakers will due.

Thank you everyone for your input.

I think there are some Swedish expats in CM. Maybe some of them could teach you Swedish. I'ts almost the same as Norwegian. :)

Bokmål is Norwegian mainly based on Danish, as Norway was part of Denmark for a long time. Nynorsk was an attempt to construct an alternative to Bokmål, intended to be more authentically Norwegian. It was based off of dialects all over the country so it's a bit of a hodge-podge.   Norwegian is not a major language. All Scandinavian languages are small, but Swedish and Danish at least has pockets of second language speakers elsewhere (Greenland, Iceland and Faroe Islands for Danish, and Finland for Swedish).  Norwegians speak good English overall and if you speak Norwegian with a noticeable English/US accent they may well try to switch to English with you, to make communication easier and to get a chance to practice their own English. Scandinavians will not be offended by you not speaking their language, unless you are a de facto immigrant, in which case it would be expected that you learn the local lingo (and necessary for work purposes). There are free, reasonably high standard facilities for immigrants to do that.

Another option Bob, would be to try some online resources: www.101languages.net/norwegian might be a good starting point or www.verbalplanet.com/learn-norwegian.asp

That was very helpful and it looks like the best thing so far. However, if a native speaker shows up and wants to earn a little extra cash, I would still be interested. Thanks for the links.