Hi-net By Cat

johng

Following on from this thread.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=46977

The latest and " best " offering  from CAT for ADSL in Pattaya.

post-2109-1129383375_thumb.jpg

the 70-100 kbps is easily obtainable from the CAT HI-net line they do for 999 plus vat, so why would you want to pay more for the same international bandwidth???

unless you want to wizz around sanook.com at light speed? :o

• 5 weeks later...

As far as I can tell each of these offers is aimed at a different application or market segment, while leveraging the multi-service capabilities of the DSL equipment in place. One is targeted at an individual user, another for a small apartment building and the symmetric offering, for a SME.

I think it is good that they publicly disclose the expected bandwidths or download speeds for domestic and international connectivity. I'm not sure anyone else does that?

I love SDSL! I had it before in Norway, but when I took leave from work to go to school I had to switch to the more reasonably priced ADSL. The benefit is not really only that you get the same speed in both directions. With ADSL you will not get full speed down if you use full speed up at the same time. With SDSL however you really get the full bandwidth in both directions simultaneously. Works much smoother than ADSL. I was wondering if these offers have any requirements when it comes to who delivers the private line. Does it have to be a TOT line, a TA line or some other?

Have the 999 Bt "service" from Hinet in my house since one month, and it sucks big time.

Speed is ok, downloads between 50 and over 100, and the upload speed gets close to my router's limit of around 90, but the line disconnects every once a while. Have to call their helpless line every two days. usually they issue me a new password, then it works again for a day or two. Sometimes the problem is deeper inside the ADSL mysterium, then they are clueless. Waiting 1 to 5 days usually reseoves the problem.

Stay away from these amateurs!

Sunny

Yes they disconnect about every 12 hours, that's no big deal just set your router to log back in automatically.

The reason for the disconnect is to discourage people from running servers, as when you reconnect you will be issued a new IP address.

As for your password problem, all I can say is... I have been using the password they first issued to me over a year ago never any need to change it.

That said,there was a problem a couple of months back where their server was confused and thought I was allready loged in ! so wouldn't let me in..... I went and did something else for a couple of hours untill the problem was resolved.

Never called their help line, so I don't know how clueless they are.

( more than likely just the same as all the others )

There have only been a few days in over a year that I haven't had internet,using the 999 baht offering for the price and considering

" this is Thailand " I don't think it's too bad a " service "

Sorry to hear its not working for you Sunny, maybe you should get some engineers in to check the physical quality of your phone line and how good the signal is.

Thanks for your comments, JohnG. The line quality seems to be good, according to my router's line and attentuation protocol.

I don't care so much about a disconnect every 12 hours, the problem remains here that the reconnect fails every few days. Doing something else does not resolve the issue. Calling thier helpline alsways results in half-hour or longer phone calls to charming ladies with reasonable English skills, but seemingly no knowledge about Adsl. At the end of these calls I always end up with a new Password, sometimes also a new username, and then the line works again for 2 or 3 days.

Glad to hear you have better results!

Sunny

• 4 months later...

Works for me flawlessly !

With Internet Download Manager I almost can download between 150-220 kB/s.

When I have a problem ( almost never ) I use to call *997.

Very helpful people but I can speak Thai, so maybe thats the reason .

Thanks for your comments, JohnG. The line quality seems to be good, according to my router's line and attentuation protocol.

I don't care so much about a disconnect every 12 hours, the problem remains here that the reconnect fails every few days. Doing something else does not resolve the issue. Calling thier helpline alsways results in half-hour or longer phone calls to charming ladies with reasonable English skills, but seemingly no knowledge about Adsl. At the end of these calls I always end up with a new Password, sometimes also a new username, and then the line works again for 2 or 3 days.

Glad to hear you have better results!

Sunny

Hi Sunny,

I live in CHiang Mai, and been using HiNet for a couple years now. Thing is that I had my ADSL being disconnected every few hours and sometimes every few minutes. It was totally a frustrating affair until this year. I suspected that the problem might be in the phone line itself. True enough the TT&T service person did a check on the phone line and there was something wrong with it. It was a faulty line. They fixed it and my ADSL has only been disconnected on its own 4 times max within a span of 2 months. Try getting the line checked instead! all the best. Do PM me if it works.

Try getting the line checked instead!

Not a bad idea. I use Hi-net and it stays pretty much connected all the time, no real complaints about that. It's not very fast, but compared to dialup, gimme Hi-net any day.