Who'S The Biggest Fish In This Pond?

MassivePuffin

Just wondering, who is the biggest fish, in our little pond of Thaivisa Chiang Mai. The biggest fish could come into two categories, length of service or number of posts. I'd imagine it would probably come down to a combination of the two. It should also be a full time real expat, not a part timer!

MP

No big fish though. LJW and Golden Triangle Rider have been in Chiang Mai forever. The Duke has one of the most successful businesses in town.

Pim from Citylife is a Thai citizen who was born in Chiang Mai (I'm pretty sure), has a great magazine and moves in high places, so I would nominate her. :thumbsup:

Edited by Ulysses G.

Like with fishing... sometimes you catch an overgrown youngin' and other times you catch an ancient and wise fish, both with similar girth. This pond's got all types. SOme of them are funny, some of them smart, some of them codgery, and some of them that'd bite every time you go near 'em. I suppose we even have some rich fish that fancy themselves the biggest. And then every combo in between. Plenty of fish, plenty of types.

Just like life, Alpha is a broad category and not always the biggest, strongest. We mustn't forget mental or humor alphas. And then there are the silver backs that've just been around a long time.

They used to show membership number if I remember correctly, maybe still do somewhere.

I know I was number 51 so at least 50 before me. Don't quite think I am there on number of posts. :rolleyes:

Edited by Thailand

Things kind of slowed down after the shark picture, but never mind.

So far Ulysses G. Seems to have blown everyone else out of the water with an impressive 24,877 posts.

Though Thailand seems to be in the lead for length of service.

I hadn't considered Average number of posts per day but again it seems no one is even close to Ulysses G.'s 9 a day.

Thailand mentioned a membership number. Does anyone know how we can find our own? I've been watching Thaivisa for about 5 years, but have only recently started posting. I doubt my number will be anything to brag about but still interested.

MP

So far Ulysses G. Seems to have blown everyone else out of the water with an impressive 24,877 posts.

I hadn't considered Average number of posts per day but again it seems no one is even close to Ulysses G.'s 9 a day.

Thailand mentioned a membership number. Does anyone know how we can find our own? I've been watching Thaivisa for about 5 years, but have only recently started posting. I doubt my number will be anything to brag about but still interested.

MP

That is not a shark. It is fresh water sting ray, and a relatively small one at that. Sting rays are native to Thailand, and in some of the larger Thai rivers can reach massive sizes of over 200 kg.

Number of posts depends on what people do for a living. I'm a writer and I'm working on a book, so I'm always on the computer. I get stale writing the same old stuff day after day and need a break from time to time. I get that by posting on thaivisa.

That is not a shark. It is fresh water sting ray, and a relatively small one at that. Sting rays are native to Thailand, and in some of the larger Thai rivers can reach massive sizes of over 200 kg.

Number of posts depends on what people do for a living. I'm a writer and I'm working on a book, so I'm always on the computer. I get stale writing the same old stuff day after day and need a break from time to time. I get that by posting on thaivisa.

I think you'll find Ian that the fish in your picture is either a shovelnose ray or a guitarfish. A fresh water sting ray looks nothing like that. The fresh water sting ray has no dorsal fin, caudal fin etc.

I think you'll find Ian that the fish in your picture is either a shovelnose ray or a guitarfish. A fresh water sting ray looks nothing like that. The fresh water sting ray has no dorsal fin, caudal fin etc.

Now there's someone who really knows their fish.

I'm with Davies on that - it's a salwater sand shark of some sort. The Thai freshwater rays are very very round and wingy. This one is quite similar to a shovelnose (to those of us who grew up catching them), but I'd hesitate to put a Western name to a Thai fish. It's some species native to here. Where were you when you took that pic, Ian ? It looks like you were in a village somewhere, maybe even in Cambodia. Is it worth going to take a look at their fish ?

MP

I don't believe number of posts or average number of posts per day is a decent metric. That does nothing to take into account the quality of the postings. Most users who have very high post numbers, contribute little more to the forum than incessant idle chit-chat/ banter. The signal-to-noise ratio for many posters is extremely low. In many cases the noise far outweighs the signal.

-Mestizo

I don't believe number of posts or average number of posts per day is a decent metric. That does nothing to take into account the quality of the postings. Most users who have very high post numbers, contribute little more to the forum than incessant idle chit-chat/ banter. The signal-to-noise ratio for many posters is extremely low. In many cases the noise far outweighs the signal.

-Mestizo

I think 'incessant idle chit-chat' is one of this forum's principal strengths! - you can't object to it too much Mestizo, as you are engaging in it now!

I would hope your not suggesting that UG engages in such chit-chat: a Prince amongst Posters!

They used to show membership number if I remember correctly, maybe still do somewhere.

I know I was number 51 so at least 50 before me. Don't quite think I am there on number of posts. :rolleyes:

Hover over your name with your mouse and in the status bar at the bottom of your browser it will show your member number, indeed its 51

I believe you are right. I stand corrected. The sting rays have a whip for a tail, and I don't see any stinger on that tail.

Hover over your name with your mouse and in the status bar at the bottom of your browser it will show your member number, indeed its 51

I have hovered and seen the light. :jap:

Lots of posts or just a few, I do not see much difference in post quality. Shakespeare is not getting a lot of competition on Thai Visa. :lol:

Edited by Ulysses G.

If it's a Guitar Fish, I hope it's a Thai one or immigration will be after it for not having a work permit!

I'm kind of bummed that I joined TV back in 2003 when first here to get info and then may or may not have posted a couple of times. I pretty much became a lurker after that until the new immigration laws under Taksin and then signed up again as forgot my old moniker ! I coulda-woulda had a more esteemed number, shucks !

If it's a Guitar Fish, I hope it's a Thai one or immigration will be after it for not having a work permit!

I could be wrong but I don't think the photo is taken in Thailand....

ThaiVisa may be a very large pond, but it is very shallow and big fish are non-existent. Apart from a few who have a need to promote their business, few true "old hands" post here. And some of the biggest fish in the pond, who have been here the longest and have by far the best contacts within the local society are the old time missionaries who have been around since the 1960s. Too many posters here paint all missionaries with a single brush and lose out on befriending some of the most interesting ex-pats in the region.