Persian Cats

gennisis

I looked into the pet shop on the carpark ground floor at Airport Plaza yesterday.

3 absolutly gorgeous Persians,I guess about 10-12 weeks old. and I would guess quite pure bred...they certianly had ' that look '.

But the prices !!.....18000 baht,17500 baht.....spoilt my day....

Assuming that they really are purebred and with pedigrees, that's about half of what you would have to pay in Europe. Other breeds can be a LOT more expensive!

/ Priceless

Yes I know,but this is Thailand. and would'nt think that the pureness of a Thai Persian was nessesarly top dollar.

'Im not meaning to insult genuine breeders here.but you know what I mean.

My last blue persian in UK... 12 years ago cost me 450GBP.

The owner of that pet shop has many expensive purebred cats and dogs (mostly Pomeranian). He has one cat that is worth a heck of a lot more than 18,000 THB. He does not keep it that shop but he will proudly show you the photos. I forget the breed. He is an interesting guy but speaks very little English.

Assuming that they really are purebred and with pedigrees, that's about half of what you would have to pay in Europe. Other breeds can be a LOT more expensive!

/ Priceless

Yes I know,but this is Thailand. and would'nt think that the pureness of a Thai Persian was nessesarly top dollar.

'Im not meaning to insult genuine breeders here.but you know what I mean.

My last blue persian in UK... 12 years ago cost me 450GBP.

Please read what I highlighted in your quote of my previous post.

If the kittens are not pure bred, the price you quoted is probably about ten times what you should pay. A mongrel, be it a cat or a dog, has very little commercial value (though it may be a wonderful pet).

/ Priceless

Gennisis

When you walked into that pet store and asked how much is that pussy in the window, did the little lady first hesitate to answer, then eye you up and down trying to establish how much she thinks you will pay and how gullible you are?

If so, then you're been Tango`d, or in this case, you're been farang`d.

I bet if a Thai person were to ask the same question the price would probably be between 2000 baht to 3000 baht.

18000 baht? I know a little hideaway in town, where you can purchase 5 furry pussies for that amount and they'll stay with you all night into the bargain.

They`re not Persian, but they do purr if you stroke them the right way.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Gennisis

When you walked into that pet store and asked how much is that pussy in the window, did the little lady first hesitate to answer, then eye you up and down trying to establish how much she thinks you will pay and how gullible you are?

I bet if a Thai person were to ask the same question the price would probably be between 2000 baht to 3000 baht.

18000 baht? I know a little hideaway in town, where you can purchase 5 furry pussies for that amount and they'll stay with you all night into the bargain.

great. another Pattaya punter turns up in Chiang Mai.

Gennisis

great. another Pattaya punter turns up in Chiang Mai.

Sad isn't it.? + a sad attempt at puerile humour .

On a more serious note, Thais can and do pay seriously big money for well bred cats and dogs. I was very surprised the first time I was told the cost of a pure bred dog. Way out of my price affordability. And ,for the record, he was most probably NOT farang'd.

aferang.

re ... Thais can and do pay seriously big money for well bred cats and dogs

a cat thread without pics ? .. cannot : )

i go to see the wat prah singh and the driving school cats about once a week while im on my daily walk

and the man at the driving school paid 3000 baht for this 4 year old but she has no papers

so shes just a stunning moggie

enjoy pics ... dave2

post-42592-0-16407900-1309067266_thumb.j

post-42592-0-46743500-1309067291_thumb.j

post-42592-0-78398900-1309067317_thumb.j

post-42592-0-38552800-1309067345_thumb.j

Picture 2 ,a Chinchilla.I had one in Oz. Lived to a ripe old age. Wonderful cat. Thank you for the pics. Sorry, As i live in Southern Isarn, not a lot of "pure bred" animals here ,whether they have papers or not.

>>They`re not Persian, but they do purr if you stroke them the right way.<<

:D Welcome to Chiang Mai where you will soon loose your sense of humor . :ph34r:

My sense of humor has always been kind of loose.:DJust like a couple of my women friends...

Edited by bunta71

:D Welcome to Chiang Mai where you will soon loose your sense of humor . :ph34r:

My sense of humor has always been kind of loose.:DJust like a couple of my women friends...

I rather think T.F.2, meant "LOSE" ,not loose.

I rather think T.F.2, meant "LOSE" ,not loose.

Really! I would never have guessed...:D

Why not get a Siamese, they're native and much cheaper

Lovely cat .Had one in Oz. Loved climbing curtains.!!! We had 5 ton Isuzu truck. We sold gift ware out of it ,direct to gift shops . The cat loved to travel with us(all over Victoria), sleeping on top of the dashboard, under the windscreen. Never known a cat that that liked to travel. . At night we used to stay in caravans, ,where she had the run of the park. Amazing cat.

Lovely cat .Had one in Oz. Loved climbing curtains.!!! We had 5 ton Isuzu truck. We sold gift ware out of it ,direct to gift shops . The cat loved to travel with us(all over Victoria), sleeping on top of the dashboard, under the windscreen. Never known a cat that that liked to travel. . At night we used to stay in caravans, ,where she had the run of the park. Amazing cat.

Some cats really like to travel. New vistas and all that, I guess... Here's my eldest (though only three years old at the time of the photo), certainly not a Siamese but still an enthusiastic traveller:

post-20094-0-17275700-1309249513_thumb.j

/ Priceless

I had a cat like that - just a moggy but tri-colouired and beautiful - we had her until she was 23! I stole her of my garden wall as a kitten when I was 3 and the owner (a neighbour) couldn't bear to take it away (tears from me and my sisters) - we went camping every weekend and she came along. On Friday night we would roll in, let her out of her box (she liked to travel in a cardboard box - open top) and on Sunday afternoon dad would toot his horn and she'd come trotting out of the woods. Never got lost - never late in returning. Broke my heart when she died - I was 26 then - died in my dads arms!

I have a cat here I brought with me from the UK. He is a Maine Coon and much bigger than the local cats - even the soi dogs give our house (and neighbors' houses) a wide birth. He loves eating the crows and the odd rat - Thai cats seem to ignore them, so they are easy picking for him - not too keep of rat intestines on my kitchen floor though! He has also never picked up a tick (double coat - Maine Coons are water proof) but did get fleas here once - for a very short time. Not great at climbing, but a good caver and ground hunter (they are mountain cats not jungle cats) - loves tiny crevices and holes.

The guy at Airport Plaza used to have the pedigrees up on the wall of the shop next door (now a pet photo studio - ajoined to his shop). They (the ones on the wall) are from European stock and have good pedigrees. Same with the pups. He is expensive though. Even the food and chems are expensive there - I do buy some things from him though as he gets good stuff in that's hard to find elsewhere (most stuff can be found in Tescos or Big-C for much less). We get our (inherrited!) hamster food there for example as they have large packs of good quality stuff.

Edited by wolf5370