Nationwide Ban On Alcohol This Weekend

george

I googled and Turkey and Greece do not allow alcohol sales on election days.

TheWalkingMan

Two more places I have no desire to visit.

I doubt either have much spare cash for booze at the moment

So I guess you have never visited......... centres of modern maths, philosopy, religion, making up much of the world as it is today.. well, one can lead a horse to water and you know the rest

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It just proves oncemore again, what we all know about immaturity, ignorant electorate and blindfolding an entire nation with discounts of THB 100'000 on the first car, a minimum salary of THB 15'000 for an university graduate and a promise to return to the size system by dumping the weight system once it comes to the sale of eggs. All, of course only, if the respective party gets elected.

We are living in challenging times. Witness, what is happening around you. No booze means a) a sober weekend or B) enjoying a party at someone's home and c) zillions of non-realized turnovers (and subsequent profits) for all those bars, soapies etc. which keep the BIB's palms properly greased.

Look around you; I have the feeling that it might be not a bad time to consider packing and moving on; this country is going down the shoots in free fall. The Northern part of Thailand is at a complete stand-still (touristically speaking); lousy and expensive food, insulting and impolite staff, empty hotels (with triple room prices compared to last year). Bottom line is, that WE as non-Thais have the choice; the Thais will have to stick around and deal with whatever is flying in their direction.

I rest my case and look forward to a calm, booze-free weekend; a repetition of the same next weekend and ultimately a non-surprising result of the e-wrecktion!

Just back from Cambodia, and the people there really care. Good food good prices and smiling genuinely happy and nice people. If only I'd gone there first before coming to Thailand!

Never too late and better late than never

It seems the vast majority of TV members on here can't even go ONE DAY without a drink..!!

Sad!

Not just one day me ol cocker, voting day 3rd July too, plus all those Buddha days throughout the year.

Buddhist Lent starts 15th July, already informed the Mrs that I will be giving that a miss this year.

:ph34r:

Will be a lot of annoyed tourists who have flown in last night for the bar scene. Get of the plane head to the bars for girls and booze. Just can't imagine them sipping tea and eating scones whilst chatting up a bar girl. I guess business will be slow for a lot of bargirl as well. The ones that only get looked at when the punter is full of booze.

Sipping tea and trying to converse with a bar girl? I agree, it's bordering on ludicrous. Farang need to be crocked to converse - that way they're funnier (to themselves) more foolish, and don't have to think before spouting words. Granted, the bar girls don't have a wide spectrum of conversational depth. It usually starts with 'you wan beeah?' and then segues to "wheh you fom?" If it really gets intellectual, it progresses to 'You wan lady?" Regardless, it needs the sauce to grease the gears.

Will be a lot of annoyed tourists who have flown in last night for the bar scene. Get of the plane head to the bars for girls and booze. Just can't imagine them sipping tea and eating scones whilst chatting up a bar girl. I guess business will be slow for a lot of bargirl as well. The ones that only get looked at when the punter is full of booze.

They might decide to do something more cultural instead then, such as visiting the Royal Palace, Floating Market etc. Otherwise, they are just sex tourists and well, no one really cares is they are annoyed, right?

I imagine the finance dept would be annoyed if all the farangs went elsewhere, instead of spending their money here in Thailand. The girls would be non earners, the folks back home would have less money as would the pimps and mangdars. It's a vicious circle.

TheWalkingMan

I had the same experience years ago in Tahiti on a short break there - it was very disappointing to find I could not have a drink the day after I arrived but this really should only affect tourists. Anyone living here should be aware that on election days, alcohol will not be available

So we can pay 400 Baht to enter a temple, but we can't get a beer? (Foreigners who don't look Thai). I believe this is called profiling. If profiling works so well when entering temples, why can't it work the other way when ordering a drink in a bar?

Oh well, I'll just stay home, drink whiskey alone and cry. :jap:

What are you talking about? Paying to enter a temple... never heard of it.

Up here in Chiang Mai they are very heavy handed in demanding money from you to enter at Doi Sethep. Even though the ticket says you don't need to pay, even though I have Thai ID and work and live here and pay taxes just like anyone else. It is a circus and I stopped going.

It seems the vast majority of TV members on here can't even go ONE DAY without a drink..!!

Sad!

A typical response from the hand wringing, social engineers we have polluting our lives. It's not about NEEDING to drink it's about being denied our freedom of choice.

Agree

But does nobody have a thought for the tourists, who pour millions of baht into the economy, and are denied some of the basic reasons for visiting Thailand. Every holidaymaker in every country likes to party! Come to Thailand at the wrong time and you cannot!

Hmmm..... never met a decent tourist whose basic reason for visiting Thailand is to have a drink. Please tell me where they hang out so I can be sure to avoid.

I enjoy a drink myself, correction, I enjoy many many drinks and I drink every evening. I have open bottles of whisky in soi 22, Patpong and on average, I finish a bottle of whisky every three days. But, even I don't have a problem with bans of alcohol sales on certain, justified occasions. I definitely do not want to be contending with drunken and disorderly Thais (or foreigners) on the streets if the results of the election either goes with or against them.

They might decide to do something more cultural instead then, such as visiting the Royal Palace, Floating Market etc. Otherwise, they are just sex tourists and well, no one really cares is they are annoyed, right?

I imagine the finance dept would be annoyed if all the farangs went elsewhere, instead of spending their money here in Thailand. The girls would be non earners, the folks back home would have less money as would the pimps and mangdars. It's a vicious circle.

No problem. Thaksin would fly to the rescue :)

Sad!

A typical response from the hand wringing, social engineers we have polluting our lives. It's not about NEEDING to drink it's about being denied our freedom of choice.

You have a choice of drinking coke or sprite. If you must have alcohol, you have the choice to drink it in your room on your bed or at your desk, watching the TV or looking out the window. You also have the choice to fly to Laos or Cambodia - I'm sure pakornchai will happily join you :)

Sad!

Exactly, but it appears some do not have the wit to understand that.

Perhaps it is the sadist in me that likes the fact that the ban whips everyone into a frenzy... I love to hear the panic in the voices of people as they race to Tesco, 7-11, etc.... and I especially enjoy laughing at the tourists as they complain that their entire vacation was ruined because they couldn't get wasted... Boo Hoo :crying:

Perhaps there will not be as many bodies this weekend due to alcoholic related accidents. Of course there will be the occasional gun shot and stab wound victims, etc., but at least they don't puke on you while you trying to save their lives. :sick:

When querying the No Drinking laws on Thai election days I was told it was stop the politicians and their associates from Buying drinks for the locals as a way of getting their vote or a way of getting them so pissed that they could not vote.

Edited by Pattel

I very rarely drink at home, I rarely have a beer or two with dinner out, but when I go out only once or twice a month I go on the lash.

Guess what, I was going up to BK for a night on the lash tonight. :boring::angry::(:annoyed::crying: :crying: :crying:

Edited by arthurwait

I very rarely drink at home, I rarely have a beer or two with dinner out, but when I go out only once or twice a month I go on the lash.

Guess what, I was going up to BK for a night on the lash tonight. :boring::angry::(:annoyed::crying: :crying: :crying:

Make it quick the law starts at 6PM

Well i just flew in from the UK and thought it was next weekend,so did the wife,but just been to the mom and pop store around the corner and i very covertly purchased my beer for the weekend.And no! im not an expat alcoholic,just finished a months work and like to put my feet up in the garden.You got to love the local shops,i always use them,rather give them my hard earned cash than the big ones.

Sad!

Exactly, but it appears some do not have the wit to understand that.

Well said Thad!

Seems like this is only confirmed for Phucket

Nationwide I'm afraid. This really is the height of stupidity. Thousands of tourists will arrive from today onwards until Monday and think '<deleted>?' To serve what purpose? tourists and us expat type people will find a way around it but why should we risk becoming criminals just because of a Thai election, even this stupid one week before pre voting. It never ever ceases to amaze me here.

Perhaps it is the sadist in me that likes the fact that the ban whips everyone into a frenzy... I love to hear the panic in the voices of people as they race to Tesco, 7-11, etc.... and I especially enjoy laughing at the tourists as they complain that their entire vacation was ruined because they couldn't get wasted... Boo Hoo :crying:

Perhaps there will not be as many bodies this weekend due to alcoholic related accidents. Of course there will be the occasional gun shot and stab wound victims, etc., but at least they don't puke on you while you trying to save their lives. :sick:

A tad sanctimonious don't you think? What about the people who eke out a living providing alcohol to your victims?

TheWalkingMan

Thats odd, i know of lots of bars in Istanbul and Cappadocia that were open as usual on the last two or three elections I've witnessed there. You may be right but I don't think its ever been enforced and certainly not on foreigners in Turkey. They used to have a great old law in Turkey that on election day or census you weren't allowed to leave your town or village and they were blockaded by the Jandarma but those days are past.

Sure accept but being anywhere but tourist areas, hardly a problem, as one can and is, normally at home free to drink his head off if he chooses to.

I agree.

The irony is that (I imagine) the law is designed to stop the Thais getting drunk and kicking the sh1t out of each other at election time.

Because it is all embracing it works against anyone operating in tourist sector - or even supplying drink to 'responsible customer'.

Tomorrow night I can sell food but I have to refuse a request for a glass of wine or a beer to accompany that meal !

We will close at 6pm - it is not worth the potential hassle of declining drink orders.

Yes same here, we have a Kara/Drink/food, and in the middle of nowhere, no one would care if you sold booze BUT will not take the chance as someone may want some tea money. apart from 7-11, EVERYONE -little wholesale come retail -will be selling during the banned time. the whole system stinks.

Well i just flew in from the UK and thought it was next weekend,so did the wife,but just been to the mom and pop store around the corner and i very covertly purchased my beer for the weekend.And no! im not an expat alcoholic,just finished a months work and like to put my feet up in the garden.You got to love the local shops,i always use them,rather give them my hard earned cash than the big ones.

That's the spirit. A well thought out and reasonable post, good respect for local customs and laws, no matter how ridiculous they might seem.

Best way to get on with life is to go with the flow, accept both the bitter with the sweet and always tell yourself - This is Thailand, there is no logic in the way things are done here.

Sorry to upset you all, but this is no new law .It has been in existence LONG before I set first foot in this fair land(1977). It is not only for elections , but many public holidays and some Buddhist days are also legally DRY. I got caught ,when I first came here. Back in the days long before Chang, I used to drink Mekhong and soda. Only beers, then were Singha(Horribly expensive) Amarit and Kloster, both expensive and awful.Some used to like them, but I thought they were dreadful.Now, this time you are in , I believe for 3 , yes 3 dry week ends. .All due to elections(at least 2 weekends) and public holidays . ,Maybe on the 15th and 16 th of next month. However ,many places may have a good stock of teapots and teacups.Happy imbibing at home.

A tad sanctimonious don't you think? What about the people who eke out a living providing alcohol to your victims?

Sanctimonious? Nah... Just a realist.

By the way... they are not "my victims"; they are mothers, fathers and children of someone else... they could even one day be yours.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.