Nationwide Ban On Alcohol This Weekend

george

Kind of getting nit picky here aren't you in terms of counting hours?

I can only speak for the US but here are numerous places in the US where you cannot buy alcohol on Sunday and even some places you cannot buy it at all as well as states that ban the sale of alcohol during elections. Not to mention you are totaling hours (in your 30-hour claim) that regardless of the day, you can't buy alcohol and/or bars are not legally open. The actual affected hours are less than 24 hours.

Point is sales of alcohol are controlled in most every country in terms of who, when, where and how alcohol is sold. These are the laws in Thailand but as we know laws are easy to get around in Thailand and even if somebody, who can't go without alcohol for this period, doesn't have awareness of the law or doesn't prepare before this time ... it is still pretty easy to buy at the small convenient stores.

The other point was that Alcohol sales has nothing to do with civil liberties unless you also want to say that having laws or bans on forbidding marijuana and heroin sales are too.

I would never use the US as my yard-stick !

:D

Yes - prohibition was never a great winner !

in the UK they consider that the population is mature/educated/rational enough to be able to vote (if they wish) and drink (if they wish) on the same day.

Sounds quite enlightened compared to the US and Thailand.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D

Yes - prohibition was never a great winner !

in the UK they consider that the population is mature/educated/rational enough to be able to vote (if they wish) and drink (if they wish) on the same day.

Sounds quite enlightened compared to the US and Thailand.

LOL! Yeah the UK is full of mature, educated and rational people! But back to the topic. Thailand is for Thais as I have been told by them on more than one occasion. So, get over it. It's their country and their laws.

Maybe the government is afraid that they locals will riot if they have one shot too many of alcohol or pass out and not vote. :sleepy:

I googled and Turkey and Greece do not allow alcohol sales on election days.

I agree with the other poster that allowances should be made for tourist areas. Places like Phuket which tout themselves as a top class international location should be given some latitude. This is where proper zoning laws would benefit everyone.

TheWalkingMan

Does this include everyone's favorite Mom & Pop store? We all know how easy it is to get beer and the Thai liquor from these reliable and obliging outlets.

Of course not. They are always obliging. This is why I never go to Tesco or 7/11 to buy alcohol.

I can't help but wonder how the tourists who have their flights booked to Thailand already will feel when their planned party weekend is a dry one.

I myself think it might be quite pleasant, I always feel force fed when I go to the bars. They won't let me have a break between drinks even if Im ready to slow down. One bar in particular where I really enjoy the band is so forceful these days that I don't go there anymore. Ive tried politely saying I need a rest, but its easy to tell they are upset with me for not buying enough drinks. I don't need too much to drink, one drink I start to feel it, two anyone can :P

Michele

So we can pay 400 Baht to enter a temple, but we can't get a beer? (Foreigners who don't look Thai). I believe this is called profiling. If profiling works so well when entering temples, why can't it work the other way when ordering a drink in a bar?

Oh well, I'll just stay home, drink whiskey alone and cry. :jap:

What are you talking about? Paying to enter a temple... never heard of it.

Senior member or senior who visits? Or just doesn't go to temples ... Try walking into a temple in Bangkok and wait for the little man who chases after you asking for the money ;)

I better get to Lotus! drunk.gif Or it'll be a boring weekend lol

Do you get bored when not drinking fermented sugars? Too bad for you.

I go outside to appreciate nature. You might try it - to alleviate boredom. No mind altering drugs needed.

Plus, if you quit drugs, then perhaps your body will be better able to create its own natural drug.

You sound fun... bet your missus had a blinder of a honeymoon.

:lol:

I love it when this happens...such as on the King's birthday, Buddhist holidays, or an election. From the moans and groans of the "I can't live without a drink for more than 24 hours!" brigade you would think they were being derived of a basic human right not to get their brains ruined by drinking alchohol.

Anyhow, for those of you who must drink to keep yourself fuctioning properly...you can buy a sixpack or two ahrad of the alchohol ban...and consume it in your room, house, or whatever you live in.

Anyhow, it's only 48 hours, and you will not die from the effects of not drinking for that period of time.

I go outside to appreciate nature. You might try it - to alleviate boredom. No mind altering drugs needed.

Plus, if you quit drugs, then perhaps your body will be better able to create its own natural drug.

No, my various 'missus' don't need me to be drunk for us all to have a good time. And I don't need to be drunk to chase away boredom, ......do you?

post-133023-0-97932300-1308965634_thumb.

Edited by maidu

I think there's many on this thread who need to heed your advice and get outside for a bit......

I think that you are missing the point here somewhat, and by a fair margin.

I like a drink, but I rarely get drunk, I can quite easily not have a beer if I choose not to, I can quite easily not have a beer in certain places if there is a good reason for it.

Having some holier than thou prat in a uniform with a chest full of undeserved fruit salad telling me that I can't because he doesn't like it is not a good reason.

No drinking in bars saturday night all across the country?

Shock, horror!

How will all the farangs survive?

That's not the point.

The point is why should farangs and everyone else be inconvenienced to allow less than 1% of the population to vote a week early.

No, my various 'missus' don't need me to be drunk for us all to have a good time. And I don't need to be drunk to chase away boredom, ......do you?

I see he's taken up yoga to chase away his boredom.

It just proves oncemore again, what we all know about immaturity, ignorant electorate and blindfolding an entire nation with discounts of THB 100'000 on the first car, a minimum salary of THB 15'000 for an university graduate and a promise to return to the size system by dumping the weight system once it comes to the sale of eggs. All, of course only, if the respective party gets elected.

We are living in challenging times. Witness, what is happening around you. No booze means a) a sober weekend or B) enjoying a party at someone's home and c) zillions of non-realized turnovers (and subsequent profits) for all those bars, soapies etc. which keep the BIB's palms properly greased.

Look around you; I have the feeling that it might be not a bad time to consider packing and moving on; this country is going down the shoots in free fall. The Northern part of Thailand is at a complete stand-still (touristically speaking); lousy and expensive food, insulting and impolite staff, empty hotels (with triple room prices compared to last year). Bottom line is, that WE as non-Thais have the choice; the Thais will have to stick around and deal with whatever is flying in their direction.

I rest my case and look forward to a calm, booze-free weekend; a repetition of the same next weekend and ultimately a non-surprising result of the e-wrecktion!

I agree with the other poster that allowances should be made for tourist areas. Places like Phuket which tout themselves as a top class international location should be given some latitude. This is where proper zoning laws would benefit everyone.

I am quite sure you will get booze at places like Centara Grand, Le Meridien, and others of their (price) class. Same procedure as every election. :whistling:

I still fail to equate the imbibing of a few drinks with the ability to vote...

Another step in the removal of the Thai people's civil liberties.

Thailand will be like Saudi if this silliness continues.

The likelihood they will forget which politicians paid them for their vote.

Of course, true to Thai logic: given the facility to buy alcohol the night before and spend all weekend drinking at home . . . need I say more?

Agreed, the only reasonable explanation...

This country champions the ridicule. :angry:

Planned to drive 100kms return to Udon Thani late afternoon for a buffet dinner at Kinnaree's, but if I can't have a beer with my food I'll pass, and same next we.

And no, I am not an alcoholic, 1 beer with food is enough and I hardly drink 1 beer a week.

Anyhow, it's only 48 hours, and you will not die from the effects of not drinking for that period of time.

No disrespect intended,but I have only your word for that and I do not plan on putting it to the test.

I won`t need to either,as my local shop doubles as the watering hole for the local constabulary.....

I am quite sure you will get booze at places like Centara Grand, Le Meridien, and others of their (price) class. Same procedure as every election. :whistling:

hkt83100. You beat me to it.

Unless I am mistaken the vast majority of tourists stay in hotels and as such they are able to buy drinks there. If tourists want to drink they drink at the hotel and then go out wherever and drink coke or something else and still enjoy the sites or get blind drunk after having been out. So very few tourists are stopped from drinking, they are just limited as to where they can.

Edited by AA1

No one has mentioned the rationale for the closings, flawed though it may be. Thais can only vote where they are registered. For example, many workers in Pattaya are from Isaan and can only vote there. If the bars were open, the bar owners would be unlikely to allow their employees to travel home to vote. The bar closings give them the opportunity to go and vote. It seems absentee ballots and such are not available in Thailand.

I can understand some complaining about this but to read through some of these posts is strange .. some people are relating this law to Thailand going down hill and taking away of civil liberties as well as labeling Thais in also sorts of negative light. The funny thing is that I doubt you will hear too many Thais complaining like this. It seems this is more a reflection of farangs upset about not being able to have their bottle. The other odd thing is that this is not like some new law but rather a practice that has been observed for a very long time .. same as banning alcohol sales on certain holidays. It should go without saying that Thailand has different laws and cultures than your home country but would think if your home country was so great, you would not have left or be here. Not sure any country is perfect but there is obviously a reason many of the folks here have chosen Thailand as there new home and the sooner they except the differences they don't like then the sooner they will be more happier here. It is interesting that the Thai attitude of not letting minor things like this make you unhappy is a cultural difference lost on so many who come here.

No one has mentioned the rationale for the closings, flawed though it may be. Thais can only vote where they are registered. For example, many workers in Pattaya are from Isaan and can only vote there. If the bars were open, the bar owners would be unlikely to allow their employees to travel home to vote. The bar closings give them the opportunity to go and vote. It seems absentee ballots and such are not available in Thailand.

I would imagine that most -if not all - bar workers, massage girls etc - couldn't give a toss about the elections. If they returned home they would likely receive the 500bt "vote for me" payoff, but the bus fare and loss of earnings would negate that.

You make a great point. Although Sunday is technically their absentee voting, the law probably is. at least partially, about allowing workers the time off to vote. But as with many laws, all over the world, the law didn't take into consideration all details and simply spoke about voting days. This would also probably explain why this new story is coming out of Phucket and only quoting leader(s) from Phucket, It would also explain why they are closing sales at 6pm Saturday night when the voting isn't until Sunday. The law probably gives this extra time to allow (encourage) people to get home to vote during normal elections.

Edited by Nisa

It just proves oncemore again, what we all know about immaturity, ignorant electorate and blindfolding an entire nation with discounts of THB 100'000 on the first car, a minimum salary of THB 15'000 for an university graduate and a promise to return to the size system by dumping the weight system once it comes to the sale of eggs. All, of course only, if the respective party gets elected.

We are living in challenging times. Witness, what is happening around you. No booze means a) a sober weekend or B) enjoying a party at someone's home and c) zillions of non-realized turnovers (and subsequent profits) for all those bars, soapies etc. which keep the BIB's palms properly greased.

Look around you; I have the feeling that it might be not a bad time to consider packing and moving on; this country is going down the shoots in free fall. The Northern part of Thailand is at a complete stand-still (touristically speaking); lousy and expensive food, insulting and impolite staff, empty hotels (with triple room prices compared to last year). Bottom line is, that WE as non-Thais have the choice; the Thais will have to stick around and deal with whatever is flying in their direction.

I rest my case and look forward to a calm, booze-free weekend; a repetition of the same next weekend and ultimately a non-surprising result of the e-wrecktion!

Just back from Cambodia, and the people there really care. Good food good prices and smiling genuinely happy and nice people. If only I'd gone there first before coming to Thailand!