Improved Equipment On The Way

A common theme of the travel forum is the horrible state of some of the equipment. I think we've all endured the tattered TG planes at some point. Even the foreign competition isn't much better sometimes. Well, I am overjoyed to report that hope for the squashed and frazzled passenger is on the way. The B 787 dreamliners are coming on some routes. ANA is due to take delivery of 55 planes starting in August and they will be used on both long haul and short haul routes. I was overjoyed to see the layout of the cabins http://www.newairpla.../firstDelivery/ The downside is that the BKK-NRT may not be a priority if tourist traffic remains down. However, I expect to see the planes available by high season when tourist arrivals from Japan peak. I like the business class configuration as it resembles the old 1st class setup before the airlines went up market. This is one of the advantages of airlines that did away with 1st class in favour of economy and business as it made premium service more affordable. Unfortunately, I have a feeling the busienss class fares will increase and I won't be seeing anymore of those cheap business class fares on the BKK-NRT route that can sometimes be snatched off of Orbitz. (The cost on the 1 way J class fare ranges from 19,000baht with china Eastern to 45,000baht with ANA with economy at 11,000 baht to 25,000 baht and I'm sure consolidators can do it for less.)

Economy really looks improved over the current offering. More overhead storage space, a roomier cabin and a more cheerful ambience.

China Southern, and JAL should start taking delivery at the end of 2011 and beginning of 2012. Quantas is due to take delivery of 50 in mid 2012, so that should come as a relief to some of the cramped passengers on the routes to Thailand now. As these TG competitors upgrade their equipment, the pressure on TG will grow and it will force TG to move a little faster on its routes (I hope).

The advantage of the B787 is that it is the most fuel efficient big bird out there and the unloading of a plane at BKK won't create the bottleneck that the AB 380 does. I am excited. Now all I have to do is save some money to afford the tickets. ;)

Edited by geriatrickid

AirAsia orders 200 A320neo aircraft

Largest-ever order consolidates A320 Family's market leading position

AirAsia, the largest low cost airline in the Asia-Pacific region, has placed a firm order with Airbus for 200 A320neo aircraft. The contract, announced at the Paris Air Show today, is the largest order ever placed for the A320 Family and makes AirAsia the biggest airline customer for the Airbus single aisle product line worldwide. AirAsia announced that its A320neo aircraft will be powered by CFM International’s new LEAP-X engines.

Altogether, AirAsia has now placed firm orders for 375 A320 Family aircraft, with 89 already in service on the carrier's fast-growing pan-Asian network. In addition, the carrier's long haul affiliate AirAsia X is also an all-Airbus customer having placed orders for 38 widebody aircraft.

“With this historic deal AirAsia has secured its future with the ability to meet the huge growth potential offered by the Asian market," said Tan Sri Dr Tony Fernandes, Group Chief Executive Officer, AirAsia. "Our decision to be one of the launch customers for the A320neo will ensure that we remain at the forefront of our business, with one of the world's youngest and most modern fleets."

“Thanks to the incredible entrepreneurial spirit of Tony Fernandes and the energy of his team, Air Asia has established itself as one of the fastest-growing, most innovative and respected airlines in the business," said Tom Enders, President and Chief Executive Officer, Airbus. "This landmark deal is the strongest endorsement yet of our decision to invest in the development of the A320neo and further consolidates the market-leading position of the Airbus single aisle product line."

Incorporating new engines and large wing tip devices called sharklets, the A320neo will deliver fuel savings of 15 percent and additional range capability of 500 nautical miles (950 kilometers), or the ability to carry two tonnes more payload at a given range. For the environment, the fuel savings translate into some 3,600 tonnes less CO2 per aircraft per year. In addition, the A320neo will provide a double-digit reduction in NOx emissions and reduced engine noise. The A320neo will have over 95% airframe commonality with the existing models, enabling it to fit seamlessly into existing A320 Family fleets.

The A320 Family (A318, A319, A320 and A321) is recognised as the benchmark single-aisle aircraft family. Over 7,000 A320 Family aircraft have already been ordered and more than 4,700 delivered to more than 330 customers and operators worldwide.

Only 2-class config. on NH's 787. Fixed-back, micro-pitch Economy seats have some saying you'd be better off standing. ;)

Probably see these on longer, thinner routes; LAX-HND rumored to be first. (Currently operated with a 2-class 777.)

NH operates one daily 763 BKK-NRT (and one Air Japan 763) so believe you'll see Porcine Airways flying ex-BKK before you see 787s on this route.

For those in Japan who want to see this bird flying:

Schedule updated on June 24

Jul 03 2011

SEA 0500 - HND 0630+1

Jul 05 2011

HND 0625 - ITM 0730 *

ITM 1130 - HND 1230

Jul 06 2011

HND 06:25 - KIX0800 *

KIX 1200 – HND 1330

Jul 07 2011

HND 0600 – OKJ 0730