Personal Trainers

PomPui

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking the same but I would tend to avoid the money traps at the places you mentioned.

There's a few companies that will do 'outcall' and use the gear at the gym at your condo.

fitcorpasia has bootcamps at Benjakiti Park.

IMO, Thai personal trainers often don't know that much more than you do if you do a little bit of research. If you can, try to get one with proper university qualifications (which are pretty rare).

But they can be useful for motivational purposes and can spot you while you bench.

I will let you know how I get on with the program I have starting next month (way too busy and traveling this month!) but my experience of friends who retained a professional personal trainer is very positive. But I agree that there's many self administered programs on the internet and the key to a personal trainer is keeping you disciplined and motivated. Like anything else, you check their stated qualifications before you hand over any money. If you find after a few weeks or months that your PT isn't biting your arse when you are late or cancel, get another PT.

Edited by NanLaew

• 2 months later...

Hi NanLaew,

Have you started your program already? Any feedback?

Thanks!

No. work grew into many headed snake... and then I went down with dengue. My doctor recommended that I not start the program for a couple of months as the dengue will have reduced my stamina and I would tire more easily.

But that was then and this is now so it kicks-off in October.

Hi NanLaew,

Have you started your program already? Any feedback?

Thanks!

No. work grew into many headed snake... and then I went down with dengue. My doctor recommended that I not start the program for a couple of months as the dengue will have reduced my stamina and I would tire more easily.

But that was then and this is now so it kicks-off in October.

Alright. Safe recovery then, a dengue is always such a draining and painful experience.

I couldn't find any proper trainer to assist me working out in my condo; I'll therefore register to Fitcorp Asia and see what they can propose.

Cheers!

I used a personal trainer at the Landmark branch of Fitness First some years ago. She was GREAT! As mentioned, you *could* do it yourself, but in addition to saving the time and trouble of figuring out what and how I should be doing things, she was a great motivator and also made sure I was doing everything correctly. That being said, I got pretty lucky as I was randomly placed with her. I know other people who did trainers at that branch (and others), and they had very different experiences. So I would say it depends much more on who your trainer is, rather than where they are working. If you can get a referral from someone who has used a good trainer before, that'd probably be the best way to go. I can't remember how many hours per package or whatever, but I do know I did two packages with her over 4 months, and after that I was good to go on my own. Actually, I probably would have been fine after the first two months but I was ultimately glad I went the full 4 months as it set me on a path to fitness that I've managed to maintain in the years since.

I believe she is still at Fitness First, so feel free to PM me and I can give you her contact details.

I used a personal trainer at the Landmark branch of Fitness First some years ago. She was GREAT! As mentioned, you *could* do it yourself, but in addition to saving the time and trouble of figuring out what and how I should be doing things, she was a great motivator and also made sure I was doing everything correctly. That being said, I got pretty lucky as I was randomly placed with her. I know other people who did trainers at that branch (and others), and they had very different experiences. So I would say it depends much more on who your trainer is, rather than where they are working. If you can get a referral from someone who has used a good trainer before, that'd probably be the best way to go. I can't remember how many hours per package or whatever, but I do know I did two packages with her over 4 months, and after that I was good to go on my own. Actually, I probably would have been fine after the first two months but I was ultimately glad I went the full 4 months as it set me on a path to fitness that I've managed to maintain in the years since.

I believe she is still at Fitness First, so feel free to PM me and I can give you her contact details.

Thanks for your feedback, Niranut!

Was it hard to train by yourself after the initial 4 months? Didn't you feel down? Could you keep motivation/regular pace?

Was it hard to train by yourself after the initial 4 months? Didn't you feel down? Could you keep motivation/regular pace?

It was actually second nature after 4 months. The first couple months were the hardest as I was learning a lot of new things. Not to mention that getting into good shape is a lot harder than staying in shape-- hence my own need for motivation and encouragement. I think if I had just done the one package over 2 months, it would have been much more difficult for me to transition to doing it on my own. But that's just me :) My trainer also wrote out all of the different workouts that she had done with me so I basically just did the same thing on my own. And after a few more months I didn't need to refer to her sheets before I got started-- it was all just in my head and I knew what to do without my little cheat sheet :)

That, and my trainer was still around and cheering me on even if I wasn't training with her anymore. And after the four months of training, I also knew pretty much all of the other staff there pretty well too, and they were all very encouraging and supportive. Many of them came over to check in and see how I was doing after my official training time was over. So overall, my trainer and the other staff continued to be supportive and helpful even after I wasn't paying them to do so :) I did go during non-peak hours though, which helped a lot too. When I would go during rush hour, there was much less personal attention since the place got pretty packed. Oh, and the classes there were lots of fun too-- another good way to keep up with things and develop different skills. I started out pretty much falling off the ball during my first pilates class, but by the end I was the one with the core of steel :) Well, maybe not steel, but I could do all of the most difficult versions for the different positions.

It was actually second nature after 4 months. The first couple months were the hardest as I was learning a lot of new things. Not to mention that getting into good shape is a lot harder than staying in shape-- hence my own need for motivation and encouragement. I think if I had just done the one package over 2 months, it would have been much more difficult for me to transition to doing it on my own. But that's just me :) My trainer also wrote out all of the different workouts that she had done with me so I basically just did the same thing on my own. And after a few more months I didn't need to refer to her sheets before I got started-- it was all just in my head and I knew what to do without my little cheat sheet :)

That, and my trainer was still around and cheering me on even if I wasn't training with her anymore. And after the four months of training, I also knew pretty much all of the other staff there pretty well too, and they were all very encouraging and supportive. Many of them came over to check in and see how I was doing after my official training time was over. So overall, my trainer and the other staff continued to be supportive and helpful even after I wasn't paying them to do so :) I did go during non-peak hours though, which helped a lot too. When I would go during rush hour, there was much less personal attention since the place got pretty packed. Oh, and the classes there were lots of fun too-- another good way to keep up with things and develop different skills. I started out pretty much falling off the ball during my first pilates class, but by the end I was the one with the core of steel :) Well, maybe not steel, but I could do all of the most difficult versions for the different positions.

Hehe thanks for your feedback, again! That's nice that the trainers still pay attention to you even though you weren't subscribed anymore. I think in other gyms the behaviour would be radically different.

In my case, I plan to use my condo's gym after getting initially trained with my personal trainer so I'm afraid the motivation will drop, unlike you in the gym with a cheering up environment...

Hehe thanks for your feedback, again! That's nice that the trainers still pay attention to you even though you weren't subscribed anymore. I think in other gyms the behaviour would be radically different.

In my case, I plan to use my condo's gym after getting initially trained with my personal trainer so I'm afraid the motivation will drop, unlike you in the gym with a cheering up environment...

Hmmm... If it was me and that was my ultimate goal (to go it alone in the condo gym), it may be worth it to stay on at the gym for a month or two after you're trained just to make sure you're good to go on your own. I moved out of BKK about 9 months after I started my fitness adventure, and have never been to a gym since. But I haven't had a problem maintaining my fitness level without any huge investments in equipment. I have a decent selection of videos which serve their purpose, and a big empty lot just down the road which is perfect for running/cardio. So all that to say that once you've got a good foundation in place, you should be good to go regardless of where you are. And it may take a little bit after your official training is over to get to that point-- whether you stay on with the gym or switch over to your own place. Good luck! You can do it! :clap2:

Niranut, was your personal trainer Thai or a foreigner?

My background is in sport's science and i'm looking to work as a personal trainer or in health promotion in Bangkok. Last year, somebody kindly messaged me some contact information to one gym located in Central BKK. So I think when I go back to Thailand I will try to find work there. But im curious if those fitness chains employ foreign personal trainers?

And I agree, theoretically you can do it yourself but having somebody motivate you is really beneficial and it makes a difference in the long run.

Im happy that i got years and years of gym experience plus reading a wide variety of books and articles on fitness and food. After you train for a while you don't need a personal trainer unless you got motivational problems. To be honest people without a personal trainer are in general in better shape as those with one (pro athletes excluded).

I got my own gym slowly build it when i came to Thailand it has saved me tons of money and i don't need to travel to a gym. Its kinda nice to be able to just go upstairs and do what you have to do.

Things like this are possible with a power rack with safeties. But not without one first learning about training from a trainer. Kinda like fishing in Thailand its handy to start with a fishing guide first but after a while you should be able to do it by yourself.

Niranut, was your personal trainer Thai or a foreigner?

My background is in sport's science and i'm looking to work as a personal trainer or in health promotion in Bangkok. Last year, somebody kindly messaged me some contact information to one gym located in Central BKK. So I think when I go back to Thailand I will try to find work there. But im curious if those fitness chains employ foreign personal trainers?

And I agree, theoretically you can do it yourself but having somebody motivate you is really beneficial and it makes a difference in the long run.

She was Thai, as were all of the staff/trainers at the Landmark branch (as well as every other branch I went to). The only foreigner working at the Landmark branch was the manager--I think he was British. He was nice, encouraging, and spoke Thai very well. So as far as I know Fitness First only hires locals to work as trainers/staff.