Race Track In North Thailand ?

tobiascra

Hey everyone,

First things first I already know about "The speedway" ! is it really the only option in the north ?

So im looking ideally for a supermoto race track in north Thailand (for anyone who doesnt know supermoto is a mix between dirt and track around 70% track 30% dirt) or a decent size track somewhere near Chiang mai. I have done a fair amount of searching for any race tracks or projects that could be in the making but no luck. Does anyone know of a track of any sort being built close to Chiang mai ?

Does everyone from here have to travel to Bangkok or even further to find a half decent track ?

all help appreciated

T

There are no tracks of any sort in Chiang Mai or northern Thailand for that matter.

And as far as I know there are no supermoto tracks either.

If you want to do any track riding you have to go south I'm afraid.

The closest track to Chiang Mai is Nakhon Chaisri which is about 760 km away.

Then there is Bira in Pattaya which is close to 900km.

Kaeng Krachan is about 850km and near Ratchaburi.

I used to drive down about 4-5 times a year but then my mate left Thailand which meant I had to go on my own. Nobody up here is intersted in track days etc.

Right now I'm recovering from a knee injury (stepped off the bike) so won't be going again for a while.

thanks "Jobo" just wanted to make sure there isnt a hidden track somewhere in the north I wasnt aware of. O well i guess i will have to plan trips to the south or start some motorcross here. I did want to buy a 2010 suzuki rmz 250 to supermoto but i guess il have just leave it as it is to settle for mx here.

thanks man :jap:

yeah I have heard of a mx track in mae jo and I have been to the mx track in mae rim next to the X center. I need to get a nice rmz 250 for that but how I wish there was a serious supermoto track here chiang mai would be perfect.

speedway is to small !!

Tobias and jobo, I live here in chiang mai, and no there isnt any supermoto specific track to head to. there is however a go-kart track in hang dong that you could use to practise on, however the surface of the track and general upkeep is not particularily good.

I travel down to nakhon chaisri about twice monthly with my er6n track bike, my friend goes on his husky smr450, we also go to kaeng krachan and bira. if you wanted to combine a trip sometime then feel free to get in touch.

To make the drive more worthwhile then we generally try and combine more than one trackday/per visit south.cheers.

Edited by sundaypsychos

Tobias and jobo, I live here in chiang mai, and no there isnt any supermoto specific track to head to. there is however a go-kart track in hang dong that you could use to practise on, however the surface of the track and general upkeep is not particularily good.

I travel down to nakhon chaisri about twice monthly with my er6n track bike, my friend goes on his husky smr450, we also go to kaeng krachan and bira. if you wanted to combine a trip sometime then feel free to get in touch.

To make the drive more worthwhile then we generally try and combine more than one trackday/per visit south.cheers.

Hey,

That sounds like a great offer and I would love to take you up on that but I will have to sort myself out with a proper Supermoto bike first. Did your mate get his Husky 450 SMR from Chiang mai ??

do you know of any good places to buy a supermoto/dirt bike preferably a rmz 250 in Chaing mai ?? I would like a 2010 if possible !

thanks again

there is no shop in chiang mai that retails those types of bikes. the best bet is to search mocyc.com dirtshopthailand.com and dirttrackthai.com in the classifieds sections. its all in thai.

there are a number of importers of 250f and 450f motox bikes + a scattering of smr specific bikes for sale here. most of them are in bangkok although one guy in kamphaeng phet has a fair selection of newer model mx bikes.

the husky 450 was sourced in bangkok, we drove down to pick it up then did 2 track days after that.

if its supermoto you want the bike primarily for, considering some of the lengths of the straights and the nature of most of the circuits a 450 might be a better option. that is not to say that a little 250 would not run rings around a 450 on some of the smaller tracks, however those tracks are in the minority....

there are plenty of rmz250's2010's around though if your heart is set on one of them.

there is no shop in chiang mai that retails those types of bikes. the best bet is to search mocyc.com dirtshopthailand.com and dirttrackthai.com in the classifieds sections. its all in thai.

there are a number of importers of 250f and 450f motox bikes + a scattering of smr specific bikes for sale here. most of them are in bangkok although one guy in kamphaeng phet has a fair selection of newer model mx bikes.

the husky 450 was sourced in bangkok, we drove down to pick it up then did 2 track days after that.

if its supermoto you want the bike primarily for, considering some of the lengths of the straights and the nature of most of the circuits a 450 might be a better option. that is not to say that a little 250 would not run rings around a 450 on some of the smaller tracks, however those tracks are in the minority....

there are plenty of rmz250's2010's around though if your heart is set on one of them.

Thanks for all the great info your giving me it will really help in my search for the right bike. I was thinking of a 250 due to mainly my motorbike experience and if I decided to do MX instead of supermoto. I think a 450 might kick my a** on an MX track lol

I have seen a few second hand rmz 250s for around 140,000 but there 2009. Really want 2010 with fuel injection. :whistling:

What do you think about buying second hand in Thailand ??

thanks again man

Buying second hand in thailand, like anywhere should be approached with caution. take along someone who knows what to look out for and has a decent grasp of what is/isnt a mechanically sound bike. NEVER buy unseen, I got burnt doing this many moons ago here in thailand. wont do that again. Ive also had good experiences. I bought a WR250F 06 a few years ago with about 40hours on it that has been perfect for me, never missed a beat.

Some of the mx bikes for sale are unused in thailand but are second hand from Japan, these are gooduns to get as generally the Japs take great care of their bikes. Check with the seller/dealer.

Or a mate of mine looking to upgrade to a 2012 bike has a 2010 rmz250 for sale, new topend professionally installed in OZ, piston, rings, valves etc. he wants 185,000baht for it. Let me know if you want to be put in contact....

cheers

Buying second hand in thailand, like anywhere should be approached with caution. take along someone who knows what to look out for and has a decent grasp of what is/isnt a mechanically sound bike. NEVER buy unseen, I got burnt doing this many moons ago here in thailand. wont do that again. Ive also had good experiences. I bought a WR250F 06 a few years ago with about 40hours on it that has been perfect for me, never missed a beat.

Some of the mx bikes for sale are unused in thailand but are second hand from Japan, these are gooduns to get as generally the Japs take great care of their bikes. Check with the seller/dealer.

Or a mate of mine looking to upgrade to a 2012 bike has a 2010 rmz250 for sale, new topend professionally installed in OZ, piston, rings, valves etc. he wants 185,000baht for it. Let me know if you want to be put in contact....

cheers

Yeah I figuered as much about bringing someone along with me to look. I actually found a bike shop here in Chaing mai today in "fahham" oppersite the khao soi place/temple. I sat down with them and they gave me a list of prices for different bikes. They also told me all their bikes are second hand from japan. The owner there said he owns the MX track in maejo.

The place seemed good he told me how his son races etc....

That place you have to leave a deposit first for them to order the bike. I thought it sounded cool. :whistling: then again this would be deposit before seeing the bike maybe not a good idea.

thanks for the heads up on your mate selling the RMZ but il have to sell my bike before getting another one. Sounds like a great deal tho.

As I said in my first post I've done my knee so won't be riding again for a while. I'd love to go to Nakhon Chaisri as soon as I'm up to it. You're pretty keen driving down twice a month though. I work so I can't go that often.

How do you transport your ER6n? On a pickup or trailer?

I'm getting excited again just thinking about it.

You are pretty limited to tracks up here, the only places I know (for all motorsports) are:-

1. SuperX track on superhighway to Lampang, full track with jumps etc used for Thai Championships that are held there maybe twice a year BUT not sure whether the actual circuit is levelled after events.

2. Kart circuit, Hang Dong road, Kawasaki holds events there every 6 months or so, racing KSRs, 250Rs and others, a sponsored event. remember it is a Kart business normally, so you would have to have a word with them to use it for a bike. All tarmac.

3. 100 year stadium, regularly holds drag races for cars and bikes (normally 2nd Sunday of the month, unless Chiang Mai FC are playing at home, in which case it's held on the Saturday)

4. 100 year stadium, saloon racing (part of the Thai 'Touring Car' championships), full large Honda sponsored using a complete circuit around the stadium, held maybe twice a year)

5. I have heard there is a MX circuit in near Mai Rim but not been there. Anyone been?

6. Occasionally, racing events are held behind Airport Central for bikes and the last event was Car Drifting, adhoc events.

7. Get off-road and into the hills for a bit of off-road riding, plenty of trails to choose from, almost unlimited opportunities.

That's about it regarding Motorsports, unless anyone else has something to add?

You are pretty limited to tracks up here, the only places I know (for all motorsports) are:-

1. SuperX track on superhighway to Lampang, full track with jumps etc used for Thai Championships that are held there maybe twice a year BUT not sure whether the actual circuit is levelled after events.

2. Kart circuit, Hang Dong road, Kawasaki holds events there every 6 months or so, racing KSRs, 250Rs and others, a sponsored event. remember it is a Kart business normally, so you would have to have a word with them to use it for a bike. All tarmac.

3. 100 year stadium, regularly holds drag races for cars and bikes (normally 2nd Sunday of the month, unless Chiang Mai FC are playing at home, in which case it's held on the Saturday)

4. 100 year stadium, saloon racing (part of the Thai 'Touring Car' championships), full large Honda sponsored using a complete circuit around the stadium, held maybe twice a year)

5. I have heard there is a MX circuit in near Mai Rim but not been there. Anyone been?

6. Occasionally, racing events are held behind Airport Central for bikes and the last event was Car Drifting, adhoc events.

7. Get off-road and into the hills for a bit of off-road riding, plenty of trails to choose from, almost unlimited opportunities.

Hey man thanks for info. I have been thinking about getting a MX bike and going to the track in Maejo and the track in Mae rim but not sure if I can do the maintenance on one of those bikes :ermm: The track in mae rim looks great I have been there its down the small soi opposite the X center. They also have bikes for rent there but the nice bikes are expensive. I know there is a membership which makes the prices better but you only really benefit if you got your own bike to take.

Good to get extra info on the chiang mai race scene but I was really looking for a Supermoto track.

The speedway is closing down due to the owner who has decided he doesnt want to lease the land anymore. So it looks like I will have to get an MX bike and do MX (even tho I dont know how to maintain one) or travel to bangkok/pattaya/hua hin to race properly.

Someone please open a supermoto track !! :blink::lol:

• 1 month later...

Wow, missed this thread for a few months somehow,

Jobo, yes I take the bike down on the back of my pickup, although the er6 has a big brother called CBR fireblade now! Do you have a trackbike yet??

Blboy, i will pm you the sellers email address.

cheers.

I've had a track bike for years but as I said I got run off the road one night on my road bike and destroyed my knee. I'm hoping to be ok again by November so a few track days hopefully coming

up then.

I'm an old bloke so only riding a 400 most of the time but do have a Daytona 675 as well.

There is some kind of track on the super highway. If you drive from the airport on Mahidol the turn left on the super highway, just after the turn there is a dirt track I think and some old banged up cars.

I have never been in there and I can't reed the sign (in thai) but maybe you can go drive there.

Mate,

I guess i can't wait for the Rmz250 anymore. I will go for the 2012. By the way, please if any of your mate looking for Crf250 2010 or Kx250f 2010 kindly let me know. I owned those 2 bikes want to sell to upgrade for 2012. I'm a musician here in Phuket so i don't race, just practicing most of it at my private track. Very scared to break a finger. I put 35-40hrs on each bike, both have invoice. If interested i can send some pictures or email me at [email protected]

Thanks!

bboy

There is some kind of track on the super highway. If you drive from the airport on Mahidol the turn left on the super highway, just after the turn there is a dirt track I think and some old banged up cars.

I have never been in there and I can't reed the sign (in thai) but maybe you can go drive there.

If you are talking about the place opposite'ish BigC on the Superhighway, I think you will find that is just a place for learner drivers and their 'instructors' to practice driving.