Does Divorce Invalid A Lifetime Usufruct?

I'm sure this subject has been done to death, but just for the sake of clarity, can anyone tell me if a lifetime usufruct, held by a farang on a property (house and land) owned by his wife is still valid after they divorce?

This is assuming that he doesn't voluntarily agree to its cancellation at the time of the divorce.

Thanks for any information

Mobi

If the usufruct agreement was made between spouses during marriage it can be voided. From the Civil and Commercial Code:

Section 1469. Any agreement concluded between husband and wife during marriage may be avoided by either of them at any time during marriage or within one year from the day of dissolution of marriage; provided that the right of third persons acting in good faith are not affected thereby.

Section 1469. Any agreement concluded between husband and wife during marriage may be avoided by either of them at any time during marriage or within one year from the day of dissolution of marriage; provided that the right of third persons acting in good faith are not affected thereby.

that's what i know as well, but i am wondering if a third person can be added somehow once the usufruct is already in place and without a further agreement by the land owner?

but i am wondering if a third person can be added somehow once the usufruct is already in place and without a further agreement by the land owner?

No, that would circumvent the purpose of the usufruct. Any changes would have to be agreed to by both parties and the usufruct would have to be re-written and agreed to by both

No, that would circumvent the purpose of the usufruct. Any changes would have to be agreed to by both parties and the usufruct would have to be re-written and agreed to by both

Thanks. Do you guess holding a piece of paper(attached to the chanote too) in which the land owner agree in advance with any change of circumstances (as for example, the usufructuary wishing to build more houses and rent/lease them out, or even sublease the whole thing) can have any legal "weight" in this?

I think the bigger problem will be registering the changes at the land office, if the land owner for any reason might not be able/willing to be there in person, i have been told by a lawyer that the land office can actually "obstruct" any new changes/addition by pretending all parts to be there in person..

but i am wondering if a third person can be added somehow once the usufruct is already in place and without a further agreement by the land owner?

There is nothing to stop the Usufructee? granting a lease on the land to a third party.

If the usufruct agreement was made between spouses during marriage it can be voided. From the Civil and Commercial Code:

So my Usufruct taken prior to marriage should be OK ?

There is nothing to stop the Usufructee? granting a lease on the land to a third party.

That is correct provided no hinder was made to the usufruct rights at the time when the agreement was made.

"Section 1422 – Unless otherwise provided in the act creating a usufruct, the usufructuary may transfer the exercise of his right to a third person. In such case the owner of the property may sue the transferee direct."

Right, but some land offices will refuse registration of such an agreement despite there is no law giving them the right to do so, but this is Thailand where local Government authorities so often make up their own rules.

Right, but some land offices will refuse registration of such an agreement despite there is no law giving them the right to do so, but this is Thailand where local Government authorities so often make up their own rules.

I believe Isaan Lawyers have successfully registered every Usufruct they have created. Mine certainly :)

Thank you for all your replies, and I know I am a bit dim, but none of the posts semed to have answered my specific question.

For the sake of clarity I will restate the circumstances

1. Thai Wife hold land title deeds to house and land.

2. Thai wife grants usufruct to farang husband giving him a lifetime right to residence etc and this document is duly registered at the land office and the usufruct is noted on the chanod.(This is already an established fact, so there is no point debating whether or not the land office will agree to this because they already have.)

3. They divorce, with no specific mention of the usufruct in the divorce settlement.

My questions:

1. Does the act of divorce AUTOMATICALLY invalidate the usufruct? (presumably not, but I would like this confirmed)

2. Subsequent to divorce, could the wife unilaterally, (i.e. without the ex husband's agreement), seek to have the usufruct invalidated?

Thanks once again for any informed views on this.

Mobi

Thank you for all your replies, and I know I am a bit dim, but none of the posts semed to have answered my specific question.

2. Thai wife grants usufruct to farang husband giving him a lifetime right to residence etc and this document is duly registered at the land office and the usufruct is noted on the chanod.(This is already an established fact, so there is no point debating whether or not the land office will agree to this because they already have.)

3. They divorce, with no specific mention of the usufruct in the divorce settlement.

My questions:

1. Does the act of divorce AUTOMATICALLY invalidate the usufruct? (presumably not, but I would like this confirmed)

2. Subsequent to divorce, could the wife unilaterally, (i.e. without the ex husband's agreement), seek to have the usufruct invalidated?

Mobi

1. No, divorce does not automatically invalidate a usufruct.

2. Yes, according to Section 1469 of the Civil and Commercial Code, a usufruct can be unilaterally voided within one-year of the divorce.

3. The divorce court could invalidate the usufruct in order to mandate division of marital property.

If you think you need a lawyer, then you do.

My questions:

Mobi

1. No, divorce does not automatically invalidate a usufruct.

2. Yes, according to Section 1469 of the Civil and Commercial Code, a usufruct can be unilaterally voided within one-year of the divorce.

3. The divorce court could invalidate the usufruct in order to mandate division of marital property.

If you think you need a lawyer, then you do.

Thank you for your further advice.

I actually doubt if a lawyer will be necessary - I'm a just trying to understand the legal situation; that doesn't necessarily imply there will be a problem or that anyone will wish to void the usufruct.

There will be no divorce court, as there is every chance that an amicable agreement will be reached on division of marital property.

The issue would not even arise if the house could be sold and the proceeds shared, but there seems little chance of that happening in the foreseeable future.

Just so that I understand everything, can you confirm that if the usufruct is NOT unilaterally voided within one year of the dissolution of the marriage, does that mean that it will remain in force until the 'usufructee' dies or at such time as it is mutually voided or the house sold?

Thanks

A usufruct can be cancelled but it must be on the agreement of both parties. In the event of a usufruct with a Thai spouse. the spouse cannot cancel the agreement without the consent of the foreign partner but may apply to the Courts to have it cancelled in the event of a divorce. If the Court orders the cancellation that does not necessarily mean the Thai spouse will gain full rights as, under Thai law, any assets gained during marriage are marital assets to be split 50/50 and the Court may order the sale of the land in order to divide the assets equally.

In cases of divorce where the assets are unclear or division is contested, it may be best to get a lawyer involved.

Making your dreams of being an entrepreneur a reality

26th Floor Fortune Town

CP Tower 2, 1 Ratchadaphisek Rd

Din Daeng, Bangkok 10400

(Phra Ram 9 MRT Station Exit 1)

Tel: 02-642-0213

Fax: 02-641-1995

Are you on Facebook or Twitter?

Receive Live Feeds and Expert Advice