Mtb Racing In Chiangmai

Tonto21

Can anyone help with some info? I want to do some MTB racing; if it's going on around CM it seems to be a well keep secret, because I don'tknow where! I'm not looking for ride out's, I'm looking for off-road racing. I know it's happening in Pattaya but………………………. A bit far to travel every week or so, don't you think?

I've tried www.thaitbm.com.........I don't read Thai.

Anyone MTB racing in and around Chiangmai?

Edited by Tonto21

I’m so glad I’m only looking for some info about mountainbiking and not a new kidney! :passifier:

Hey Tonto21

Sorry I cannot be a lot of help, but I'm down in Surat and pretty much riding alone myself, so in a similar situation. Having said that there are quite a few events down south, mainly in the Nakhon Si Thammarat and Songkhla areas. But all Thai run.

I did find the following site CycleChiangMai and notice they have a forum. Looks like a new site, but might be worth a shot??

Might also try the Bicycle Thailand web site they are currently reviving their forum and a lot of good info. Might be worth contacting some of the tour companies listed on their web site as a few in the CM area - surely they must be doing some racing / social riding as well?? There is a YouTube video doing the rounds - showing a downhill event in CM via helmet cam. Was a few years ago but might throw up some names?? I'll dig out the link later, unless you already have it?

BTW; with regards to the Thai MTB Forums (Thai Language) if you load Google Chrome as your web browser and then load Thai pages it will offer to translate these into English. I've been doing this for a while as some quite useful info on there not to mention new products, prices etc. They do have a forum for events - competitive and not so competitive but I had a quick glance through and could not find anything CM specific, but then again not too familiar with the names of the provinces and areas up north.

Anyhow - just my 2 satang worth......

Edited by yotspeed

I’m so glad I’m only looking for some info about mountainbiking and not a new kidney! :passifier:

Hey Tonto21

Sorry I cannot be a lot of help, but I'm down in Surat and pretty much riding alone myself, so in a similar situation. Having said that there are quite a few events down south, mainly in the Nakhon Si Thammarat and Songkhla areas. But all Thai run.

I did find the following site CycleChiangMai and notice they have a forum. Looks like a new site, but might be worth a shot??

Might also try the Bicycle Thailand web site they are currently reviving their forum and a lot of good info. Might be worth contacting some of the tour companies listed on their web site as a few in the CM area - surely they must be doing some racing / social riding as well?? There is a YouTube video doing the rounds - showing a downhill event in CM via helmet cam. Was a few years ago but might throw up some names?? I'll dig out the link later, unless you already have it?

BTW; with regards to the Thai MTB Forums (Thai Language) if you load Google Chrome as your web browser and then load Thai pages it will offer to translate these into English. I've been doing this for a while as some quite useful info on there not to mention new products, prices etc. They do have a forum for events - competitive and not so competitive but I had a quick glance through and could not find anything CM specific, but then again not too familiar with the names of the provinces and areas up north.

Hi ‘yotspeed’

Great to hear from you, Thanks for this info, I willlook into it.

If I find anything I will post on this forum.

Thanks again.

Tonto

Tonto, You might try going to Cherry Bike on the Doi Saket road and talking to Khun Dton, the mechanic there. He speaks passable English and he could fill you in on upcoming events. I'll keep my ear to the ground as well, and I know the Engineer's race is coming up soon. Maejo has some major events throughout the year as well.

You need to hook up with the Nakon riders there's races all over the south almost one a month and plenty in Phuket. Keep an eye on the bicyclethailand.com site as I am updating riding information in Phuket but also races around the south.

Hey Tonto21

Thanks guys, good to hear, I will look into all info given.

I had a good conversation a few night ago with a friend, he's Thai, a certified tour guide, involved in mountain biking. I asked him about any racing, (x-country Mountain bike) he was unaware of any in Chiangmai, but was keen to know more. He told me he was a friend of the guy who organized the recent Chiangmai biking event and he may be interested in getting involved.

Will keep all you bikers posted.

'T_Dog' how's you? Long time no chat! I'm still waiting for that ride-out….How long has it been, ha ha, when your free let me know.

Edited by Tonto21

You need to hook up with the Nakon riders there's races all over the south almost one a month and plenty in Phuket. Keep an eye on the bicyclethailand.com site as I am updating riding information in Phuket but also races around the south.

Yes, I've come across their events on the ThaiMTB events page, one was not too far away at the University in Tha Sala and seems a load of the guys riding in the national park areas to the south of Krung Ching. Monthly events in Hat Yai and Songkhla as well. Have also spotted events in Surat and Lang Suan (Chumphon) so plenty to search out. There is a local team and they have asked me to join in with them, just want to get my fitness back up to a good level and would like to try and ride some of the courses just to see what I'm letting myself in for as I've never done any racing.

Also planning to head over and ride with the Phuket Bike Hash later this month and to join the Bangkok Bike Hash at their get together in Cha Am next month. Also trying to get my new (Wagon) wheels sorted.

Looks like busy times ahead :)

Yes, I've come across their events on the ThaiMTB events page, one was not too far away at the University in Tha Sala and seems a load of the guys riding in the national park areas to the south of Krung Ching. Monthly events in Hat Yai and Songkhla as well. Have also spotted events in Surat and Lang Suan (Chumphon) so plenty to search out. There is a local team and they have asked me to join in with them, just want to get my fitness back up to a good level and would like to try and ride some of the courses just to see what I'm letting myself in for as I've never done any racing.

Also planning to head over and ride with the Phuket Bike Hash later this month and to join the Bangkok Bike Hash at their get together in Cha Am next month. Also trying to get my new (Wagon) wheels sorted.

Looks like busy times ahead :)

Hi 'yotspeed' you area busy boy! Good on you.

One thing about racing, you say you want to get your fitness up, and ride some courses to see how you get on……You know the saying, "just doit" It seems to be a bit of a thing that riders tend not to race for fear of not doing well.

Fact is I've not done any MTB racing, up to now I've scratched this itch, by racing 'Enduro' (motorbikes) but too old for that now, (I just don't bounce when I fall off like I did when younger) I want to race MTB now asI know from experience it will add a whole new dimension to the sport I like. Idon't t hink for one minute I will win, or come near, but I know if I do well, (for me) it spears me on to try harder, get fitter, and I also get to meet new people. Your riding will improve fast if you race.

Basically, I would say if you fancy having a go at racing………Just do it, regardless of your finish position you'll get a big buzz from it and really look forward to the next…

Edited by Tonto21

Basically, I would say if you fancy having a go at racing………Just do it, regardless of your finish position you'll get a big buzz from it and really look forward to the next…

+1

Hear what you're saying there Tonto21 ;)

• 1 month later...

Okay, here is an English language version of the race schedule. Special thanks to Khun Pongpet Mekloy, a cycling writer/rider from the Bangkok Post for the help!

October 9, 2011

Ban Phon Mountain Bike

Starts from Wat Ban Phon, Hang Dong, Chiang Mai.

Fore details, call Khun Sombat on 089-8537877 and 083-2081667

October 22-24, 2011

The Master Tour of CMRU

Chiang Mai Ratchabhat University

Distances, depending on category, range from 50-100 km.

For more info, call Spin Bike on 081-655-8451.

November 27, 2011

Mae On Mountain Bike

Details not yet available.

December 4, 2011

Huai Tueng Thao Lake – Queen Sirikit Botanical Garden (22km)

t_dog and tonto, plans to join any of these rides??? let me know! I'd like to join as well.

Tigerbeer.... I mountain bike raced hard in my mid-30's and had a blast, made a short comeback with Cyclocross in 2003, but I think I way too old and heavy these days. You should give it a go being a youngster! It is a lot of fun.

post-498-0-61180200-1315297880_thumb.jpg

Great news 'T_Dog' thanks for this.

Now if you hadn't gone and pranged up your shoulder....... :annoyed:

I know, I know! It's always the way……..'Sod's law ' :( I can still ride, but no rough down hills for now, have to give it a few weeks…If it don't heal up then………..It's a torn rotary cuff, and that will mean surgery! (I know, I did the other shoulder 7 years ago) What sucks is the day after I did this, I geta contract job offer in Norway! Now where's the bruffin???

Hi 'tigerbeer' if I'm still here and the shoulders heals up, I would like to race the first one. Like yourself, just for a bit of fun. So lets see how it all pans out!

Okay, here is an English language version of the race schedule. Special thanks to Khun Pongpet Mekloy, a cycling writer/rider from the Bangkok Post for the help!

October 9, 2011

Ban Phon Mountain Bike

Starts from Wat Ban Phon, Hang Dong, Chiang Mai.

Fore details, call Khun Sombat on 089-8537877 and 083-2081667

October 22-24, 2011

The Master Tour of CMRU

Chiang Mai Ratchabhat University

Distances, depending on category, range from 50-100 km.

November 27, 2011

Mae On Mountain Bike

Details not yet available.

December 4, 2011

Huai Tueng Thao Lake – Queen Sirikit Botanical Garden (22km)

FYI - I believe the first race listed above Is "MTB on road". The second one (Masters tour of CMRU) is for road bikes only, if you're doing the full 3 day race. If you're just doing the circuit race on Sunday Oct 23, there will be categories for "MTB on road". I have no idea about the 3rd and 4th events listed.

Hopefully the last two are "MTB on dirt" like it should be. The CMU Engineers race and the Maejo MTB festival are real single-track events but I don't know when they are coming up. Thanks for the clarification El Jefe.

The best site I have found for news on events across Thailand is the Thai MTB web site. It is a Thai web site but if you use Google Chrome browser it will offer to translate from Thai - English. Some of the translations are pretty whacky but you can get the more important details like; date, location, groups, type and length of course, prize money, etc. The web page with the events can be found here; Promote the bicycle race

Seems there is an event at A. Hang Dong CM on 9th October. Below is the Google Translation from the Event Page.

Happy hunting and good luck with the 'understanding'.... ;-)

Cycling for Health Security Fund, together with Nong Nong Kwai Kwai Administration (the year of college.) Invites you to compete at cycling Bike. ************. *** "I bundle Mountain No. 1st. "(flat) on Sunday, 09 ตุลาคม ********* in 2554.

**************** (BAN. Phon MOUNTAIN BIKE # 1st in the 2,011th OCTOBER 09th).

to celebrate 97 years of age were something fortunate for us in a bundle at Wat Ban Nong Kwai, Hang Dong district, Chiang Ching *** trophy shaped like something I was good. Comments in the customs compassionate chanted by the Makati City ***. something fortunate. Entry Fee $ 100 Plus dollars to get ceramics. Shaped like a Pair of Basketball fortunate. Everyone. Periodicals competing versions of A Man, B Men, B Women need a Mountain Bike with wheels over twenty-sixth inches and. the tires of at least 1.9. inches, regardless of forks or chopsticks. the competition are as follows. to this. one. Mountain Bike Race Series A (Male) Trophy shaped like something I better of us in at 1-5 for the fifth generations. A1 Old male models under eighteen years. A2 models (Open) Men. A3 Age from 30 to 39 years, male. A4 Age 40-49 years, male. A5 Age 50th to male models. the 2nd. Mountain Bike Race Series B (Male) Trophy shaped like something I better of us in Position. 1 - 5 of 11th versions. B1 Age not over. 15th years Old male. B2 Old male models under 18th years. B3 models (Open) Men. B4 Age 30-34 years, male. B5 Age 35-39 years, male. Age forty to forty-four B6 years, male. B7 Age 45-49 years, male. B8 Age fifty to fifty-four years, male. B9 Age fifty-five to fifty-nine years, male. B10 and Men Age sixty years. B11 85th weight kg to male. three. Mountain Bike Race Series B (female) Trophy shaped like something I. Well, with us in at third with from 1 to 5 generations. B12 models aged over the eighteenth years, female. B13 Model female. B14 Age 35th years up. regulatory competition, the Blend. for Men - Women, the Bike Spun anything with the Force of their own. time. four. The kind of spin to the Local (male) Trophy shaped like something I better of us in at 1 to 5 for four generations. (Union of. the right only to see it Hangdong only). C1 Old male models under the twenty fifth years. C2 Model. Age 26 - 35 years Old male. C3 Age 36 to 50 years, male. C4 Old Age the fifty-first years male. . five New to the spin. Local kind of (female) Trophy shaped like something I better of us in at 1 to 5 and the fourth. Model. (Union of the right to specific Riders. District of New York City only). C5 Old female models under the twenty-fifth years. C6. Age 26-35 years, female. C7 Age 36-50 years, female. C8 Old Age the fifty first years female. scheduled to compete. Sunday on October the ninth, 2554. 06.00 - 07.30 million.. - opened up the competition. All types of Mountain. Area at the front of the temple Houses a multi-purpose bundle. (News Saturday, 8th Oct. 2,554th at one p.m. AM - 17:00 AM at the temples House a bundle, especially for the spin to be Applied in today). 7:00 a.m. The athlete was released. . Bike to Class, Local versions of C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6, C7, C8. 8.30 PM - Open Mountain Bike competitive released Version A - B, Each separated by three minutes. half past ten AM - Gather results. . 11:00 AM - all the Trophy ceremony. Note. Schedule subject to change by the appropriate. rules of Evidence and the Application. 1. Fill out the Form to Match the Reality in all respects. 2nd. Calculation of Age Shall be Competent to be a. minus. . the 3rd for the Safety of the athletes Must wear helmets at all times the Impact. the fourth. The Committee's decision is Final. the 5th. Protests Must be Submitted in writing to the Board within 15th minutes after the Announcement of the competition. Venues for the. Games. . 6. Athletes under the fifteenth years Must have their parents. This allowed for a Match. - The starting Point A - B was released from the temple Houses a bundle. Along the paved Road to the District Agriculture and Natural beautiful. End of the competition. . On top of Mountain. before it curves to Seven-fold Model A and Model B a total Distance of 20 miles in both Uphill and downhill Vice versa. - Beginning C Series starts to float at 7:00 PM, the temple Houses a bundle. Along. the Red Light Intersection, turn left at the Guelph. -. through the Roundabout, Chang Horticultural World - turn right at the Entrance to Wat Doi Kham - Love on the left to Mae hia in. -. the Mountain and came down - on the Love. left - the End of the temple Houses a bundle Distance of ten kilometer. of Service. - Breakfast and snacks and Free drinks! - a Water Sports Two Point. Distance. For athletes who want to stay Rural. - You can stay Inside the Tent House Pavilion,. Measuring around a bundle, or you want to have to many Nature Resort-based. such. Chiang Mai Night Safari. Nestling in the Natural sounds of Wildlife you can truly call 053-999088-89. , attractions and Restaurants with evening and Saturday. near the. Point of competition is just one of Chiang Mai Night Safari. Flora and Wat Doi Kham. You can see a beautiful Garden in a random Post. for a Cup of the VIP. (VIP), you Must register with payment before September an, two thousand five hundred fifty-four. (because the Cup Product on time. .). Contact Feature, 089 to 8,537,877, 083-2,081,667. that the slopes in any Way we have respectfully taken by this. Thanks MTB region. and the EIA E resilience ga area that time.

Reading on a bit further and looking at the map of the course seems it is confined to the hard top only - but you have to use an MTB with (min)26" wheel x 1.9" tyre ??? !!! Anyhow - hope the link to the events page works as a search start point.

Cheers - P.

Edited by yotspeed

Reading on a bit further and looking at the map of the course seems it is confined to the hard top only - but you have to use an MTB with (min)26" wheel x 1.9" tyre ??? !!! Anyhow - hope the link to the events page works as a search start point.

Cheers - P.

That's what I said.

I agree -- I wish there was more racing on the road for road bikes.

The races at Sankhamphaeng, Tak, and Doi Suthep are the same format -- MTB on road.

But I understand why the organizers of many races require MTB's. Most Thais don't have a collection of bikes like the farang do and almost everyone with just one bike has an MTB. Fortunately, the race up Doi Inthanon now has a road bike category.