Is It Legal?

rocketmanbkk

Is it legal to send prescription drugs as deemed by UK from LOS to UK?

For example, Doxycycline 100mg x 28 tablets.

I say it is not legal but my friend says he does it as they are cheaper (agreed) and he then can use them for ailments (not too sure I agree with that but up to him!).

What do you say? Is it the same thing to buy some in LOS and bring them back with you?

He is not talking 1000's to sell but say 7 days worth for personal use.

Any views?

Cheers

I Googled the question, and it appears to be illegal, but who is going to know if you don't declare them ? If you Google 'Doxycyline for sale' there are loads of firms selling the stuff. For some reason, Thailand doesn't make you attach a 'Customs Declaration' slip to a package if sent standard 'Airmail'. Whereas a courier handled package/parcel does. So the decision is yours. Me personally, I would send them by standard 'Airmail'.

Edited by sinbin

if you post back tobacco products thats also illegal.

That isn't quite true.

What are the rules for buying tobacco over the Internet from outside the EC?

Tobacco sent from outside the EC must be properly declared and will be liable to import duty, UK VAT & excise duty. There are concessions for "gifts" but these are subject to certain conditions:

• They must be of an occasional nature only, such as a birthday or anniversary;
  • The value of the goods must not exceed 45 ECU (currently £36);
  • They must be correctly declared to Customs;
  • They must have been sent by a private person abroad to a private person in this country;
  • The gift must be for the personal use of the recipient, or their family;
  • There must be no commercial or trade element;
  • They must not have been paid for either directly or indirectly.

In addition, any tobacco products must be within the following allowances:

• 50 cigarettes; or
  • 25 cigarillos (cigars with a maximum weight of 3 gms); or
  • 10 cigars; or
  • 50 gms of tobacco or a proportional assortment of the different products.

Anything in excess of these allowances is liable to charges.

I Googled the question, and it appears to be illegal

My post above isn't necessary true either.

Prescription and over-the-counter medicines may be sent by, or at the specific request of: a qualified medical practitioner, a registered dental practitioner, a veterinary surgeon, a registered nurse or a recognised laboratory or institution. Any medicine that uses an aerosol where the volume exceeds 50ml is prohibited and will not be accepted. Any aerosols that use flammable or toxic gases as propellants are also prohibited. Controlled drugs or substitutes for controlled drugs are prohibited and will not be accepted. Private individuals may send medicines in prescription quantities in cases of emergency only.

http://www.royalmail...ediaId=36200679

Edited by sinbin

Prescription and over-the-counter medicines may be sent by, or at the specific request of: a qualified medical practitioner, a registered dental practitioner, a veterinary surgeon, a registered nurse or a recognised laboratory or institution. Any medicine that uses an aerosol where the volume exceeds 50ml is prohibited and will not be accepted. Any aerosols that use flammable or toxic gases as propellants are also prohibited. Controlled drugs or substitutes for controlled drugs are prohibited and will not be accepted. Private individuals may send medicines in prescription quantities in cases of emergency only.

http://www.royalmail...ediaId=36200679

Reads to me like you would have to have at least a prescription from a doc in order to meet the sent "at the request of" clause. Even that is a bit of a stretch since a script doesn't request that the drug be mailed from abroad. But I think if you have a valid script, you'd get off the hook from any possible legal problems.

I'd suggest getting a prescription here in LOS nd mailing the stuff in a labelled prescription bottle.