Busted For Not Carrying Passport

britmaveric

Long Story, one of my mom's friend son was mistaken for Burmese, obvious they want tea money.

Last year, my friend decided to take a hike upcountry with 2 friends. None of them was carrying some kind of ID: my friend is Thai and the 2 friends were/are Birmese.

They stranded somewhere near Korat in a small village and asked for help at the poo-yaai-baan. This guy helped for a few days, but after some time the police came for inquiries.

The 2 friends were transported to Korat police station and later to the deportation camp in Bangkok. Both are back in Birma now.

My friend was lucky enough to know the Thai National Hymn and that is what kept him out of jail.

So, instead of taking your passport with you........learn the Thai national hymn :o

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a small wallet type thingy which is just big enough to get my passport, some credit cards and several thou baht into. It has a loop which my belt passes through, the wallet then tucks behind the waistband of my trousers. It is hidden from sight and secure...no problem in seven years.

More and more countries have stopped the "adding of pages" for security reasons and believe the US has done so too recently? For sure my Scandinavien home country has done it already. Cheers!

I guess they forgot to tell those that add the pages in that case as both the Department of State and US Embassy Bangkok still list it as a normal service.

I can verify that US citizens can still add pages to their passport at the embassy, having done so today.

In previous threads on this topic, posters have claimed that Thai law doesn't literally say that an actual passport must be carried on you at all times as proof of ID; rather, just some form of ID. Of course this may be re-interpreted on the spot, but if that's true then a Thai driving license and/or passport photocopy should be sufficient. I wonder if you'd be jailed if you did produce a photocopy, offered to show the passport at home or in office, and then refused to pay the B500-1000 fine? Guess nobody's willing to find out.

Hi,

could you please provide a link to this as it seems a new law for me. This does apply for the Thai nationals who obviously have to have an ID card at all times and hand it over when demanded by BIB. By my understanding the Aliens are required to carry the original passport at all times. Personally, in Bangkok, I have been stopped at my home soi or taxi and got searched for drugs many times, no talk of ID/passport arose.

Peace.

I got stopped once in Sakon Nahkon (was visiting G/F's parents). I was heading into town and going to the bank and fortunately (the exception to the rule) had my PP with me. They were looking for Lao illegals I think.

At the moment my PP is in KL getting a visa to go to Algeria where I am currently working. I have also renewed my PP here at the British Embassy and couriered it to Bkk. So what happens if you get stopped and for legitimate reasons you cant produce the PP?

Maybe the answer is to take the copies to the police station with the original and get it stamped and certified (Thais love to stamp things :0)) Surely (if the BiB will stamp it) that would suffice?

Hi,

I have been stopped twice in Pattaya and one time led to being asked to accompany the officer to the station.

I was asked for ID both times. When I couldn't produce it, they just ignored the ID question and solved the problem at hand and I was free to go.

I have now lived in the north - Uttaradit Province - for 3 years.

My wife (with me as posilion) has been stopped umpteen times outside the village on the way to the market for the usual checks: helmet, insurance, licence etc and has paid dozens of 100 B fines, but no-one ever went for the biggie and asked for my ID.

I don't know whether this is luck or attitude.

Regards,

Owen.

BTW: she has been completely legal for the last year or so.

I never carry my passport just a copy easy to replace and like others said if you get asked and its not acceptable the fine is small. I dread to think what a passport will look like in 10 years in my pocket?

Pretty bad, I used to carry mine around with in the US for drinking purposes, and it does last long with the wear and tear.

I never carry my passport just a copy easy to replace and like others said if you get asked and its not acceptable the fine is small. I dread to think what a passport will look like in 10 years in my pocket?

Pretty bad, I used to carry mine around with in the US for drinking purposes, and it does last long with the wear and tear.

I've carried mine for over 5 years and it shows no wear and tear at all. What do you do when you're out and about? :o

I carried my PP first three months and it was ruined. The plastic page, the second page in the PP, got broken so I had to get a new passport. That was 6 years ago. After that I only carry my Thai driverslicence.

I carry my Thai driver's licence and it has worked on fine on all ID request occasions in Thailand, including flying domestically.

And it works fine for checking in into hotels.

:o:D:D

From the Australian Dept of Foreign Affairs website/ smartraveller.

Foreigners are required to carry identification at all times.

I carry a photo copy of my inside page of my passport and a Thai driving licence. Have never been asked for it by the police but when id is required at hotels etc this is seems sufficient. In my own country, Australia ,Police often ask people from other countries for their ID and if they dont have it with them ,and they appear suspicious or uncomfortable, will accompany them to their place of residence to check. Its their only option to check on a huge no of people ,unfortuantly a lot of Asians, on overstay.

I cant see why there is such a hoo ha about it. Why is this such a major issue ????