Wordpress Site With Thai Content

roog

Hi,

Trying to get Thai language content into wordpress posts and pages. Have installed th_TH.mo file into the wp-content/languages, yet my posts still come up with ?????. Have looked in the mysql db, and the same trashed content is there. I asked my web host if Thai language support is enabled in php - yes they say. Any advice please? Thanks!

here's the testing page - http://royalcoconutresort.com/thai/?page_id=4

looks like someone else had the problem, though not resolved - http://wordpress.org/support/topic/thai-language-chars-showing-as

This is a step back from original problem of trying to implement qtranslate plugin - add TH to languages OK, then enable TH, get message Language is already enabled or invalid! Maybe a clue there?

Thanks.

In contrary to what WebBangkok states; the problem could be at the database level. When working with non-latin character sets, there are a few points where you can go wrong and one of them is indeed the database (assuming you're using MySQL, the database can be configured with different character sets), to rule out the database as a problem, I'd advice to have a look at the database using phpMyAdmin (or any other tool will do) and see if your content shows up ok there. If so, the database is not the problem.

It could also be the encoding of your markup. To verify this, you'll need to check what encoding your browser is currently using to view the site, this should be set to something like "Thai". If this is not the case, you could use a <doctype> tag at the beginning of your markup files to enforce the browser to use the proper encoding.

The problem has nothing to do with the Wordpress language files as these are only used to configure the admin interface to use Thai instead of English.

Hope this helps!

great help mjn - I'd already verified that the mysql db content was trashed. I've now stuck some thai characters in there with edit in phpmyadmin and saw error message on save indicating the problem. I've changed the content collation to tis620_thai_ci and the content's now showing up in Thai.

So the question now, what collation should the entire DB be in to allow correct staorage of both Latin and Thai characters?

Thanks for the help!

Better to start from scratch, converting charset of existing DB info is a nightmare.

Pay careful attention to what charset and collation is used to create your DB, before you install Wordpress.

Use TIS-620 as it also includes all ASCII symbols.

Edited by bangkockney