Seeking Good Lathe Machinist

T_Dog

I need a 150mm long shaft turned with 5 different diameters. (No grooves or tapers.) The challenge is that it needs a 5mm diameter center hole all the way through and my regular guy can't do it. Can anyone recommend a shop & location that might do it?

It is for an obsolete bike hub and I can't buy a new hub due to disk brake compatibility. All help appreciated.

there is a workshop at suriwong road . which some good work there . the price wise i am not sure , i made some coffee machine part from them before which cost me about 700b + the metal . .

there do have alot of machine there try talking to the guy and see if there can help . but a good drawing and very good explanation is needed . like all thai work shop . the biggest problem is not if there can do it . is if there understand what we want ..

so do not assume there know . so do put extra effort making sure there know what you want .

if not you might end up paying for a pcs of junk i learn it the Money way .

I've had a few axles made over here and most seem last longer that the originals. There are a few places on the way out of town I use. Pm if you would like directions, as it's difficult to explain. I also used a place in near Chiang Mai gate the other day and the guy did a great job, He's pretty much opposite the U-turn before Chiang Mai gate (on the outside of the moat).

I've had a few axles made over here and most seem last longer that the originals. There are a few places on the way out of town I use. Pm if you would like directions, as it's difficult to explain. I also used a place in near Chiang Mai gate the other day and the guy did a great job, He's pretty much opposite the U-turn before Chiang Mai gate (on the outside of the moat).

GUANO..... That sounds like the expertise I need. I sent you a PM. Thanks.

Guano... What do you think about having the new one made up in stainless so it doesn't break again? Here are some photos of it de-shafted from the hub. I rode Doi Suthep one last time on it yesterday as I really needed a ride. Hope Technology makes some darn tough hubs in that they can have a broken spindle and still be ridden with little problem.

post-498-0-73708100-1309508721_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-29484500-1309508747_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-91528100-1309508760_thumb.jpg

Guano... What do you think about having the new one made up in stainless so it doesn't break again? Here are some photos of it de-shafted from the hub. I rode Doi Suthep one last time on it yesterday as I really needed a ride. Hope Technology makes some darn tough hubs in that they can have a broken spindle and still be ridden with little problem.

Did you get the email? I don't think that stainless is any stronger than Hi-ten. Chromoly or titanium would be ideal but expencive and difficult to find here. Maybe you could look at using Hi-ten but putting a bit of extra steel around where it broke. Whether this is possible all depends on how the hub goes together.

Did you get the email? I don't think that stainless is any stronger than Hi-ten. Chromoly or titanium would be ideal but expencive and difficult to find here. Maybe you could look at using Hi-ten but putting a bit of extra steel around where it broke. Whether this is possible all depends on how the hub goes together.

Negative on the email. I'd suggest a copy-and-paste as I get it wrong myself.

I did look at that area to see if more metal could be added but it butts right up against a bearing so no joy there. My only thought on steel was that it resists fatigue failures like this better.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for the help, with special thanks to Guano. Got my new shaft yesterday and popped it in the hub this morning. Took a hard three hour ride and all is good. Sure beats paying loads and waiting weeks.