Tv As A Computer Monitor

hyperdimension

I'm not having that problem, as soon as I turn my PC and Screen on, I can do everything, and even see the POST messages (Samsung Series 5 LED)

Ok so I may have been wrong as I was basing my statement on my initial experience just yesterday during which I could get the TV to show the HDMI PC input only after I had logged in and configured settings and fiddled around with cables. Maybe I'll see the POST message on the TV and be able to get into BIOS next time I restart the computer. I just have too much stuff open at the moment to check.

Edited by hyperdimension

I had a problem initially getting the TV to recognize a HDMI input even though a cable was physically connecting the computer to the TV. It's definitely not as straightforward as connecting the usual VGA cable to a monitor.

I think a problem with using a TV as the only monitor is that you would not be able to see anything from the computer until after you have logged into the operating system, so you'd still need an ordinary monitor if you need to do anything outside of the operating system such as BIOS configuration.

I also enabled Windows ClearType

There should not normally be any problem with your TV recognising the HDMI output from your PC. I do this all the time and have never had any issues. The HDMI cable itself can sometimes be at fault.

The HDMI output on the PC should provide a signal from boot. In fact the last ATI HDMI video card I used actually made the HDMI output the default output.

ClearType settings will change according to whether you are using VGA or HDMI, so users may want to run the wizard again when they change. Check also the edge enhancement settings in ATI drivers as these will have an effect on text clarity. NVIDIA has similar adjustments.

Also worth checking that the HDMI output on the PC is actually switching to 1080p if you are using a 1080p screen. Sometimes they dont, especially on laptops, and you have to force it.

Panasonic vs. Samsung?

I was going to buy the Samsung LED series-5 32-inch unit, but I don't like the glossy reflective screen, so I tried to find a comparable unit with a matte screen. I found a Panasonic LED - It has more features than Samsung - is from the 2010 line and originally sold for around 43,000 Baht - now on close-out for 17,000.

Has anyone had any experience using a Panasonic as a computer monitor? I'm primarily concerned about the sharpness of the image compared to Samsung.

These are the two models:

http://www.priceindi...h-l32d25-price/

http://www.samsung.c.../UN32C5000QFXZA

Thanks in advance for any comments.

• 2 weeks later...

The HDMI cable itself can sometimes be at fault.

I have booted a few times since buying the TV and you guys are correct, the entire boot sequence is shown on the the screen. I think it was the cable that was the problem, maybe the connection was a little loose (even though both ends clicked in). It was quite disconcerting for me at the time when I first tried it - connecting it up, booting but no picture.

I've figured that since the connection is digital it's either all or nothing on the screen, no fuzziness like you'd expect on a VGA cable connection which is analog.

I was going to buy the Samsung LED series-5 32-inch unit, but I don't like the glossy reflective screen, so I tried to find a comparable unit with a matte screen.

My 40 inch Samsung LCD TV is a matte screen, though a little more reflective than matte screens that I've experienced before, but nowhere near as reflective as a glossy screen. I chose to buy an LCD TV instead of LED because I find LED is still not good value for money. My TV cost 17K THB

I'm quite satisfied with it. I have no complaints with sharpness. Setting the connection name to "PC" ensures as perfect a picture as possible from the computer, basically turning the TV into a PC monitor.

Edited by hyperdimension

I think a problem with using a TV as the only monitor is that you would not be able to see anything from the computer until after you have logged into the operating system, so you'd still need an ordinary monitor if you need to do anything outside of the operating system such as BIOS configuration.

BIOS screen shows fine on Samsung Tv using HDMI connection.

Not need ordinary monitor for anything

I also noticed that Samsung has just released a series-6 model.

Number indicate price, screen resolution and quality, not how new.

Samsung have

series 4 - cheapest

series 8 - most expensive

Never seen series 7, not to many shops sell series 8 as very expensive.

I not use 1080 resolution on my screen, look wrong,text too small, 720 look much better.

Do not make mistake think native resolution best for computer display, often not best.

Edited by OlafStapleton

"My 40 inch Samsung LCD TV is a matte screen ... cost 17K THB"

Thanks for the comment. How far back from the 40-inch screen do you have to sit when you're using it as a computer monitor? Or, in other words, what distance would be too close? Also, could you say where you bought it? From what I've seen, 17K is a very low price for a 40-inch model.

Thanks in advance for any additional comments.

"My 40 inch Samsung LCD TV is a matte screen ... cost 17K THB"

Thanks for the comment. How far back from the 40-inch screen do you have to sit when you're using it as a computer monitor? Or, in other words, what distance would be too close? Also, could you say where you bought it? From what I've seen, 17K is a very low price for a 40-inch model.

Luckily my desk has a keyboard tray that slides out the front, so if I sit 1m from the 40 inch screen it's fine. Around 50cm is too close as I can see the mesh. I think the distance problem is due to resolution being limited to 1920 * 1080. Higher resolution would allow for closer viewing distance, but the TVs and monitors that exist with higher than 1920 * 1080 resolution are too expensive.

I got this Samsung LCD TV: http://www.powerbuy.co.th/ProductDetailPage.aspx?Prod_Code=PWB000185380

FWIW, I finally took the plunge and bought a 32-inch LED Panasonic at Power-Buy.

It had some advantages over the Samsung - 100 Hz screen vs. 50 Hz. - 2 year warranty vs. 1 year - LED vs. LCD in its price range -- matte screen vs. glossy screen and a few other goodies I'll probably never use.

I lucked out on price - it's an "ancient" Jurassic-era 2010 model - originally 43,000 Baht - selling in recent months for 39K - recently reduced to 24K for a one month Panasonic promo - The day I arrived, planning to probably buy the Samsung 32-inch LED-- they had received a fax from the mother-ship reducing the last unit they had to 14,990K -- Needless to say it was calling to me and I couldn't resist.

I couldn't be happier with the sharpness, clarity, and brightness -- I can sit 24 inches away and it's like having a new pair of eyes.

Attached is a pic of it next to it's 5 year old little brother, a BENQ 22-incher.

Thanks to everyone in this thread for the invaluable information that enabled me to finally find all the features and gadgetry that I wanted.

post-53404-0-75071200-1312832738_thumb.j