Lao Visit

I am planning a visit to Lao for about a week and was wondering where it is best to apply for a visa, at the Lao embassy in BKK or at the border when crossing?

I have a multi entry visa to TL so it should be no problem getting back.

Does a Thai citizen need a visa to enter Lao and of course return?

Robby

I went to Laos about this time last year with my girlfriend. For foreigner it was 1500 baht or 30 U.S Dollars to enter for 14 days. No problems.

My girlfriend tried to enter Laos on her Thai passport at the same time as me and the immigration officer was trying to charge her 1500 baht as well. I knew he was trying it on as you could see lots of poorer looking Thai's passing into Laos and there was no way they were paying 1500 baht.

I told my g/f to go ask somebody about her entry visa. Eventually she found a tout, who took her back to the Thai side of the border and she bought a 2-day visa for 70 baht.

If you are travelling with a Thai citizen, it's probably best to get them to find out more about their visa situation before they go.

I went to Laos about this time last year with my girlfriend. For foreigner it was 1500 baht or 30 U.S Dollars to enter for 14 days. No problems.

My girlfriend tried to enter Laos on her Thai passport at the same time as me and the immigration officer was trying to charge her 1500 baht as well. I knew he was trying it on as you could see lots of poorer looking Thai's passing into Laos and there was no way they were paying 1500 baht.

I told my g/f to go ask somebody about her entry visa. Eventually she found a tout, who took her back to the Thai side of the border and she bought a 2-day visa for 70 baht.

If you are travelling with a Thai citizen, it's probably best to get them to find out more about their visa situation before they go.

He wasn't trying it on actually. Thai's require visas the same as everone else.

There are some exceptions though. Your wife sounds like she ended up getting a border pass, which is only available at land crossings for short visits (2-3 days) into the lao province directly across the border. Thats fine if you are crossing at Nong Kai for a short jaunt to Vientiene.

Aside from that, Thai's need a visa, just like anyone else if they are going into loas for any other purpose, or a longer holiday. For instance, if you are flying to Luang Prabang, a 1500 baht visa is needed.

I lived and worked in Laos from June 2004 till April 2005 working on a major road project to connect Thailand with China through Northern Laos.

We, myself and Thai wife, used the border crossing at Chiang Khong on a regular basis.

Sometime, during early 2005 changes in legislation have made it much easier for Thais and Laoations to travel between the two countries. Initially my Thai wife needed a visa to enter Lao which we got either at the Laos Embassy in BKK which allowed her to stay one month or on arrival at the border crossing in Chiang Khong which allowed her to stay only 15 days, I think the price was 1000 Baht (1500 Baht for farangs) for both. After the rules were changed she was given an entry stamp free of charge at the border crossing which allowed her to stay in Laos for one month

I made a similar post back in July which can be found here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...c=38953&hl=visa

For latest rules and regs contact Laos Embassy, BKK.

Cheers