Yingluck: We'll Reconcile

Lite Beer

Havent been following, can someone please tell me how many seats are needed to form a government in Thai parliament and how many seats PT is estimated to hold after the election?

251 seats to form government. Estimates have been from 200 - 300 seats for PTP. Just wait a 5-6 hours and you'll get an unofficial result.

At this moment I would be surprised if they dont win outright

I'd be surprised if they did. I think the Yingluck support has been majorly HYPED.

But you got to understand the Thais. They like to jump on to the bandwagon of the "winner". If Phue Thai everything which makes this country wonderful will go down the drains. Yes, we may have a blooming economy and be a bigger version of Singapore. But do I like Singaporean style. No thanks!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But you got to understand the Thais. They like to jump on to the bandwagon of the "winner". If Phue Thai everything which makes this country wonderful will go down the drains. Yes, we may have a blooming economy and be a bigger version of Singapore. But do I like Singaporean style. No thanks!

I wouldn't worry. Thaksin won't bring a booming economy. He will bring misery. Thailand's economy OK during his regime because it was a time of GLOBAL boom. Abhisit has delivered a strong economy (and currency) during a time of global meltdown. Thaksin was lucky. Abhisit was skilled. Don't expect that Thaksin's bizarre economic policies will deliver under the current global conditions. Massively raise the wages here for unskilled labor? All of a sudden, Thailand can't compete globally and will lose many millions of jobs. To raise the wages, you need to raise the educational levels and skills. Its not magic but yes I concede the Thais may today elect magic. Black magic that is.

I am also not a fan of the oppressive government style in Singapore. But, yes, now Singapore is one the most successful countries in the world. It's not a big secret why. They focused on actual fundamentals and planned and developed their people to make that success happen. They did not promise every Singaporean that their wages would be increased five times without them developing their skills and education at least five times. Also, let's face it, they are mostly Chinese and Chinese culture on educational development is nothing like the Thai. Singapore, one the best educational systems in the world, Thailand one of the worse. "Free" ipads won't cut it. (And you know Thaksin must have a plan to profit on that deal.)

Edited by Jingthing

I wouldn't worry. Thaksin won't bring a booming economy. He will bring misery. Thailand's economy OK during his regime because it was a time of GLOBAL boom. Abhisit has delivered a strong economy (and currency) during a time of global meltdown. Thaksin was lucky. Abhisit was skilled. Don't expect that Thaksin's bizarre economic policies will deliver under the current global conditions. Massively raise the wages here for unskilled labor? All of a sudden, Thailand can't compete globally and will lose many millions of jobs. To raise the wages, you need to raise the educational levels and skills. Its not magic but yes I concede the Thais may today elect magic. Black magic that is.

I am also not a fan of the oppressive government style in Singapore. But, yes, now Singapore is one the most successful countries in the world. It's not a big secret why. They focused on actual fundamentals and planned and developed their people to make that success happen. They did not promise every Singaporean that their wages would be increased five times without them developing their skills and education at least five times. Also, let's face it, they are mostly Chinese and Chinese culture on educational development is nothing like the Thai. Singapore, one the best educational systems in the world, Thailand one of the worse. "Free" ipads won't cut it. (And you know Thaksin must have a plan to profit on that deal.)

The intersting thing is that PT was also renouncing their promises. For example now it turns out that they are only going to hand out 4000 Baht coumputers to each household and that the minimum wage of 15,000 for bachelors will only be guaranteed if the applicant meets certain conditions. I am so sad that most Thais do not see through these scams.

Abhisit had good plans for the future of the country and I think he would have done a good job, but it takes time. Only the average Thai does not understand his intentions and perceives him as weak and sluggish. Thai people want the cash and success and now.

The whole PTP platform, and upfront or obscured aims, is a festering recipe for national disaster in the short and long terms.

Why? Not one pro-Democrat has made a convincing case for "returning" (note the inverted commas) the incumbent PM. Instead, they have resorted to bad-mouthing the opposition. Anyway, it's midnight here in Paris and by the time I wake up, the elections will be well and truly underway.

Just because the Dems haven't come out with outrageous promises, doesn't mean people have not been mentioning that there is a case for their return. (and it is "return", seeing as they are there at the moment.)

They came out with *plenty* of outrageous promises :)

And they starting to refrain from their own promises as well. No ipads for every family but only some shitty 4000 Baht PC

Edited by drronnie

<snip>

reminds me of when I lived in NYC, 1997-2001. They had a thing where they had a monkey throw a dart at a board to select stocks. As you probably remember, the monkey beat many stock analysts picks! Same thing with Thaksin. He was at the right place at the right time...and is a smart man for sure.

Only a few hours to go!!!

Why? Not one pro-Democrat has made a convincing case for "returning" (note the inverted commas) the incumbent PM. Instead, they have resorted to bad-mouthing the opposition. Anyway, it's midnight here in Paris and by the time I wake up, the elections will be well and truly underway.

Just because the Dems haven't come out with outrageous promises, doesn't mean people have not been mentioning that there is a case for their return. (and it is "return", seeing as they are there at the moment.)

And they starting to refrain from their own promises as well. No ipads for every family but only some shitty 4000 Baht PC

I must have missed this change. The one on the base salary is not too clear to me either. It was 'all graduates start at 15,000', then 'all grads starting at the government', than 'all starting at the government', till now 'all who fulfill certain base requirements' ?

Can I still withdraw my (non-)vote?

Edited by rubl

I see PT's reconcilation plan already. They will probably lock up all their opponents and the will be nobody to oppose them anymore.

Free speech will be a thing of the past.

The majority of the population will back them as the votes will show.

I see PT's reconcilation plan already. They will probably lock up all their opponents and the will be nobody to oppose them anymore.

Not without a fight.

Not without a fight.

Did you see the exit polls? terrible indeed. Yingtluck got 313 seats :(

Not without a fight.

Polls vary from PTP 299 - 313, Dem's 132 - 152. Wait for more official guestimates

Not without a fight.

Polls vary from PTP 299 - 313, Dem's 132 - 152. Wait for more official guestimates

Anyway the winner is already decided

It appears that the people have spoken rather decisively. It also seems that our local farang political experts are WAY out of touch with the people. Hopefully the new government will be able to manage the countries business rather than continuing to witch hunt.

I really expect the transition to go smoothly because the democrats will no longer have the numbers to gum up the works.

The country needs the reconciliation to happen. The great divide must dissolve and bring peace and prosperity to all.

The best part is, that assuming it isn't totally crap, we can buy it off them the next day for 1,500 Baht.