How Much Can 1 Rai Of Farmland Earn You?

kunash

how much does a farmer have to pay the land owner per rai of land each year? the crop is rice

thanks

does anyone have any opinions on what the most profitable crop would be for least effort. ?

My wife reckons about 15-20 rai would bring in about 40,000 a year from rent. That's up in the very north of Chiang Rai, and would be for either rice or tobacco, guess it depends where you are. Hardly worth it really! :)

A couple of problems. In the main, in isarn ,you can only grow one crop per year. Very little irrigation. Also the paddy farmer is up against the vested interests of the chinese thai middle men.Most paddy farmers , in our area , are small area farmers and don't rent land OR sell their crop. Grow enough for family consumption and keep enough seed for planting next season.As rural-urban migration grows, more paddy fields are left not farmed. The young do not seem terribly keen to do the work. So, the rental price , in Isarn ,will be much cheaper than in the Central region, where they can grow 2 or 3 crops per year, or in the North ,many places can grow 2 crops a year.As , personally. I know no-one who is renting paddy land in Isarn, I have absolutely no idea what you would have to pay. Does anybody have personal experience? I would be fascinated to hear from them

A couple rent our 8 rai of rice land for 10 bags of rice a year.

We still have 5 bags left from last year and we have already given away maybe 2 bags.

Anyone want some rice ??

You need more chooks.They will dispose of it quick smart. 55555555

A couple rent our 8 rai of rice land for 10 bags of rice a year.

We still have 5 bags left from last year and we have already given away maybe 2 bags.

Anyone want some rice ??

We always seem to have annual surplus, much of it extended to family and friends.

It can be very common for land owners to "let" their property to be farmed, but even more common for land owners to work their own - for familial purposes.

My partner inherited some land, it was rented out at 5000 baht per 10 rai block for 10 years which probably sounded OK in 2000, but she's re-claimed it now and has had it planted out herself (cassava).

Their family farm doesn't do rice, but they do lease out land for this purpose, 500-700 baht per rai depending on when the agreement was made (700 the current rate) plus a percentage of rice production which they sell.

Sorry am unsure on the % I think it's 10 or 15%.

This is eastern Thailand, south Sa Kaeo, one rice crop per year.

thanks for replies. the land area is 4 rai, so small scale. the 1 bag of large rice sounds right, or about 900b. nothing to get excited about, and not much of a return, but I guess land is a good investment (for the thai) as the land price will / should double in the next 5/10 years.

my gf might even let her father plant vegtebales on it. would keep him busy :)

Sorry, I'm not a farmer, but I always thought that the answer to OP lies in Location

Soil quality

Water availability

Climatic conditions

Market availability and access

What do you grow

Your farming ability

Your business acumen

Please add anything I missed out.

Best of luck, my friend :)

> Please add anything I missed out.

Plant rice close to the village and you will find it ripening and ready to harvest with many people willing to help for ~200 Baht a day.

Plant an expensive fruit crop out in the wilds without a guard you will find it gone when you come to harvest it.

But as mentioned it all comes down to water and things like bugs.

To make (more) money you need to avoid selling to a middle man and sell retail, there are costs (skills) involved in doing this that some are not able to deal with.

if it's rice land you may have little option to what else you can do with it, unless there is an option to keep it drained?

Low-maintenance land uses would include eucalyptus - but this would depend on drainage

Again not huge returns when spread over 5 years that you are without use of the land.

Location location location....even if its rice land....do not forget these 3 rules.

One block we have has gone up 500% in 3 years....beats the bag of rice we get for it now....but saves on having to drive to the rice shop for dinner also.

if it's rice land you may have little option to what else you can do with it, unless there is an option to keep it drained?

Low-maintenance land uses would include eucalyptus - but this would depend on drainage

Again not huge returns when spread over 5 years that you are without use of the land.

I believe the misconception of "wet" soil is largely lost.

One-half of rice producing land belongs to the dry-rice production. Meaning, that such harvests are heavily dependent on seasonal [rain] conditions - as opposed to klong and river irrigation, in which many areas enjoy and produce perhaps 3-4 crops a year.

To the contrary, a great deal of rice-growing property can be easily transformed into other food production uses.

I believe the misconception of "wet" soil is largely lost.

One-half of rice producing land belongs to the dry-rice production. Meaning, that such harvests are heavily dependent on seasonal [rain] conditions - as opposed to klong and river irrigation, in which many areas enjoy and produce perhaps 3-4 crops a year.

To the contrary, a great deal of rice-growing property can be easily transformed into other food production uses.

Very little irrigation in Isarn. Low land cannot be converted at all. Some more upland can be drained, yes, But most Paddy land in Isarn is Lowland.

Hi - agree - I just meant that if it was an area that was a natural collection point for rainwater, that could not easily be drained it may have limited use.

Based on partner's family farm, 180r of sugar mainly, then cassava and eucalyptus, the 'lowlands' is what they lease out for rice growing.

South of Prakhon Chai, we can rent one rai of rice growing field on a 60/40 % deal. No money changes hands, but the land owner gets the 60% of the crop, and the grower the remaining 40%. Last year, we planted the normal rice crop in our own one rai rice field, but due to the lack of water, we didn't get one grain of rice out of it. This year we've planted sugar cane and it's doing very nicely. Bottom line is, you'll not get anything much for renting or even growing unless of course, you plant the amazing money trees which every Thai thinks we farangs have.....

• 1 month later...

Years ago they got 50% of the rice farmed !

Normal paddy fields sell for 30-40.000 Baht per rai.

Whatever normal is. Largely depends on locale. Some paddy rai can fetch B60,000 to B300,000.

What should be of more concern to rice farmers is not yield production, but the control of the government and rice mafias.

Time is now to unify as a force towards independent community collectives.

Time is now to unify as a force towards independent community collectives.

The problem in Thailand, with co-operatives, is that Thais don't trust each other. That is why the Chinese merchants can run rough shod over the rural farmers.

A few years ago I rented an unused "Land Up" (not paddy) of 4 rai for a year for 300 baht to grow corn and peanuts as a trial. The usual method here is not rental but either share cropping as described earlier or a form of leasing where partial value of the land is given in exchange for holding the chanote, these agreements are made with involvement from the Poo Yai. The use of the land is granted for the funder until the debt is repaid. Often that is when someone else offering to up the anti and supplying the cash plus a bit to buy back the chanote. So debt holders of this land seldom do much more than use it as any improvements they would make could well benefit someone else.

That brings up the word "Trust" as mentioned in the previous two posts. This is a circular argument to me. I dont believe the word really exists for Thais. In a society where not offering offence is crucial to village life people will often say what is expected rather then what they believe. The depth and "Truth" involved in conversations here depends on who and what is being discussed, who is involved in the conversation, and what relationships are involved. First person and third person chats are very different. IMHO there is a huge cultural gap between western thinking and that of Thais on issues like trust. Values are different, not right or wrong, just different.

Having said that, and with my tongue firmly in my cheek, I wouldn't trust them further than I could throw them. But at least I am now prepared to attempt to "toss the dwarf", I've localised a little bit.

Isaan Aussie