Thaksin Allies In Thai Election Landslide: Exit Polls

webfact

With PTP 313, Dem's 152, all other parties seem to have been more than decimated. BJT, CPPP, CTP had 89 seats, but go down to less than 35? Ah well, maybe the quality of polls hasn't improved yet ;)

What's interesting about those numbers is, that BJT seems to have gotten decimated, because its charasmatic leader is under suspension and played no part in these elections. What's interesting about PTP is their leader is also under suspension but we see his influence in every media, both domestic and international. Now we're going to see what the Thai judiciary is made of.

You know very well what the Thai judiciary is made of. We've seen it before.

Not sure they can get away with it again though, with such a clear election result. But if they try (same applies to the military) then that'd be an excellent path to civil war.

How about RESPECTING THE ELECTION RESULTS, that everyone has been so full of. Anything else is worse, even if you don't like the result.

How about a banned politician/convicted bail jumper/fugitive funding and directing a political party? Or doesn't that count?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ones to feel sorry on here are the Falangs who "burnt their bridges" with no investments or property back home, Something I was never stupid or naive to do.

What are you talking about. I have a house that was worth close to a $ Million a few years ago, the problem is that I can't sell it due to our superior government and federal reserve. And we proudly voted for our superior government. hahaha And we have a second Amendment :whistling: Blow me down I am talking about California. Arnold sure got even with the Kennedy's :rolleyes:

Edited by BlueSkyCowboy

With PTP 313, Dem's 152, all other parties seem to have been more than decimated. BJT, CPPP, CTP had 89 seats, but go down to less than 35? Ah well, maybe the quality of polls hasn't improved yet ;)

What's interesting about those numbers is, that BJT seems to have gotten decimated, because its charasmatic leader is under suspension and played no part in these elections. What's interesting about PTP is their leader is also under suspension but we see his influence in every media, both domestic and international. Now we're going to see what the Thai judiciary is made of.

You know very well what the Thai judiciary is made of. We've seen it before.

Not sure they can get away with it again though, with such a clear election result. But if they try (same applies to the military) then that'd be an excellent path to civil war.

How about RESPECTING THE ELECTION RESULTS, that everyone has been so full of. Anything else is worse, even if you don't like the result.

How about a banned politician/convicted bail jumper/fugitive funding and directing a political party? Or doesn't that count?

Isn't Newin (a banned politician) also directing Bhumjaithai? he even talks on TV on behalf of his party and attends rallies. isn't that illegal too? Or is it legal because they're part of the coalition government.

Congratulations and well done to Thailand. It is very good news that one party will have a large majority irrespective which party. Domocracy can and does work and if the majority of Thai's wants this government who are we farangs to criticise?

Only good thing coming out of all this is going to be that their dreams will soon turn in nightmares for a lot of people and that is when hopefully they will realized what kind of mistake they made voting for them....

It will be too late. Total power will be solidified. Democracy is DEAD in Thailand, starting today.

I think you mean you wish it was dead as do the yellow shirts. Today is one for celebrating the health of Thai democracy.

This clear mandate from the people is the best thing that could happen for the country. The people have spoken and hopefully even the army will accept it and disappear back into their barracks.

Totally spot on! Democracy at work - big turnout, no violence, a majority elected. The result needs to be respected and accepted by all parties. If the Army comes out to make a point or the Dems take to the streets to protest - we are back to square one. Listen to the people....

They may not realize it now, but they will eventually.

It is a sad day for Thailand.

Yeah because THailand was doing so poorly under Thaksin's rule. You could tell by the massive trend of foreign investment, infrastructure developement, higher standard of living among the working poor, and the aggressive policing of mafia and drug dealers. They have been much better off since his ouster with the return to the centuries old status quo.

(That was sarcasm, just in case you missed it)

The people have spoken, again, lets see if the corrupt elite, police, and Mafia will let the election stand this time. If they remove a 4th popularly elected PM they might as well just give up the charade of elections, dissolve Parliament and go back to being an absolute monarchy.

"The former billionaire telecoms tycoon remains a hugely divisive figure"

I'd say on the contrary...if they win 313 seats Thaksin's a hugely "uniting" figure.....that is overwhelming acclaim.

I'd say it's the out-going PM who was (and likely remains) the divisive figure.

He headed a disgracefully unpopular government of a military-backed minority that broke every rule of democracy, ethics and the Constitution to seize and rule the country.

Let this be the last word about it for a while.

Would you sell your vote for $10 US or Aus?

Make it $20 and you've got a deal !

Well this shows the shortsightedness of the electorate upcountry... which made this possible once again...one drunken night for prospect of four years, maybe eight maybe as wanted till 2020.... of very autocratic rulership aiming.. well this istoo early, don't want tohave thispost eliminated.. so i'll keep it for me.

But this is not going to happen let's see and wait...I'll see into it maybe tonight.. or tomorrow when the results are official...

The ones to feel sorry on here are the Falangs who "burnt their bridges" with no investments or property back home, Something I was never stupid or naive to do.

Nice bit of self-congratulating there!! But haven't you got a plane to catch, then?... byeee!!!cool.gif

I've been living and doing business in Thailand since 2000.

All i know is that from 2001-2006 it was great and from 2006-2011 its been <deleted>.

So today is surely a good day for foreigners :) why is everyone moaning?

I've been here since '84. The Democrat administrations of the 90's were just as bad as the current outgoing one.

But it was still great from 2001-2006 when Thaksin was prime minister, which is my point.

Isn't Newin (a banned politician) also directing Bhumjaithai? he even talks on TV on behalf of his party and attends rallies. isn't that illegal too? Or is it legal because they're part of the coalition government.

Ofcourse they should be punished for the same thing. But BJT has already been decimated in the election and isn't in a position to rule - so they are not the first target.

But thanks for agreeing that both of these parties, PT and BJT, should be punished.

Congratulations and well done to Thailand. It is very good news that one party will have a large majority irrespective which party. Domocracy can and does work and if the majority of Thai's wants this government who are we farangs to criticise?

A lot of farangs are now depressed because they just noticed they've been rooting for the wrong team for years.

Unofficial poll results show Democrats leading Pheu Thai in BKK, leading to questions about exit polls

Nice try, but your misleading comment won't affect the official results. I'm watching Thai TV and they're showing the contrary.

I was not trying to do anything but the exit polls are showing to be inaccurate.

Only good thing coming out of all this is going to be that their dreams will soon turn in nightmares for a lot of people and that is when hopefully they will realized what kind of mistake they made voting for them....

It will be too late. Total power will be solidified. Democracy is DEAD in Thailand, starting today.

I think you mean you wish it was dead as do the yellow shirts. Today is one for celebrating the health of Thai democracy.

This clear mandate from the people is the best thing that could happen for the country. The people have spoken and hopefully even the army will accept it and disappear back into their barracks.

Totally spot on! Democracy at work - big turnout, no violence, a majority elected. The result needs to be respected and accepted by all parties. If the Army comes out to make a point or the Dems take to the streets to protest - we are back to square one. Listen to the people....

We can but wish!!wai.gif

Newin might be directing BJT in the background, but wouldn't have attended rallies or speaking on TV on their behalf.

A lot of farangs are now depressed because they just noticed they've been rooting for the wrong team for years.

Wait, what do you mean 'wrong team'?

Non-withstanding that most people that are against Thaksin isn't pro any other party, since when does an election decide 'wrong'? Isn't that like sayingthat people can vote about the color of the sun and we must all bow to the result reached?

They may not realize it now, but they will eventually.

It is a sad day for Thailand.

A very sad day. This is not a democracy, it is all about money.

Last night my g/f's mother confirmed that all 7 members of her family and virtually everyone in the village (Korat) received 300thb each.

It is a bloody disgrace.

Yes it should have been at least 500 baht

It's a disgrace that your g/f's mother and her family took the money, indeed. You must not be supporting them properly.

One of my employees said that the Puea Thai candidate handed out 200 Baht as well in her village, but the Democrats handed out 500 Baht the same evening. You see, every party in Thailand pays for votes. In the end however, Thais will vote whoever they want.

But they will not vote for a party that gives nothing as this is a sign that such a party will not be able to handle the country's finances!

Edited by Billmont

Champaign for Abhisit, he made it six losses in a row. A great achievement. And the win seems to be big enough for thr courts and army to think twice of messing again with the good people of Thailand.

They may be good, but SMART, they ain't.

Like the quotes on the bottom.

Here isa another one: Blessed are the meek. for they shall inherit, well you know the rest and the writer

Unofficial poll results show Democrats leading Pheu Thai in BKK, leading to questions about exit polls

Nice try, but your misleading comment won't affect the official results. I'm watching Thai TV and they're showing the contrary.

Which channel? TheNation just had this:

"Early vote count shows Democrat capture 19 seat in Bangkok

Early vote count by TV Pool showed that the Democrat would capture 19 MPs in Bangkok while the Pheu Thai would win 14 MPs.

The results were reported at 4:40 pm."

(edit: add: here in Dusit it started raining just before 5PM, luckily counting was done long time already)

Edited by rubl

Well it looks like well done Yingluck. I'm off for a spot of Mrs Changers finest Isan cooking and will look under the table to see if I can spot any of the usual suspects from here that seem to be missing. whistling.gif

You keep your maid under the table to service you while you eat dinner? What does your Issan-wife think about that?!

She's right behind the maid, "dining at the Y"....haha.

TAN Network just said unofficial results had PTP at 270 seats and Democrats 150. Still a PTP win, but not as strong as the exit polls.

ThaiPBS based on total vote counting so far PT 256, Dem 165, BJT 34, Chart Thai Pattana 18, Chart Pattana Puea Paendin 10, Palangchon 6 /via@bangkokpundit
Edited by whybother

Ofcourse they should be punished for the same thing. But BJT has already been decimated in the election and isn't in a position to rule - so they are not the first target.

But thanks for agreeing that both of these parties, PT and BJT, should be punished.

True, they've been humiliated in the election now. But why were they allowed to be part of the coalition government if they should have been punished? If we didn't punish BJT over the past years, we shouldn't punish PT in the coming years, don't you think? Otherwise that would be double standards, wouldn't it.

Well it looks like well done Yingluck. I'm off for a spot of Mrs Changers finest Isan cooking and will look under the table to see if I can spot any of the usual suspects from here that seem to be missing. whistling.gif

You keep your maid under the table to service you while you eat dinner? What does your Issan-wife think about that?!

She's right behind the maid, "dining at the Y"....haha.

:cheesy:

Again: since when does agreeing with the majority (of Thais) mean you must be right and disagreeing with them means you are wrong?

Foolish.

Please don't be so offensive or immature and try and read the comment before posting.

<deleted> would all you bleating ex-pats know?

Let me answer that.... STUFF ALL.

My wife's family and just about every Thai I know have had enough of the Democrats.

20 years since they were elected and yet they have clung onto power with the help of the military.

They deserve to be booted out.

The people have spoken in a free and fair election.

The elite need to understand, democracy means majority rule, not minority rule.

Despite Thaksin't sins, he understood what the poor want, the Democrats have no idea at all. It will take a complete rebirth of that party to make them understand.

The life of the average poor Thai was considerably improved under Thaksin's rule and people remember that.

They have waited patiently for this day and they clearly haven't swallowed all the crap that has been spouted by the Bangkok elite and their media.

We have to respect the will of the Thai people and hope the military will stay in their barracks and out of politics.

What other democracy has had 26 coups? It's a bloody farce, elite and military are hand in glove.... sucking the life out of this country.

How many times do people have to be told that "A majority of Votes" is NOT the ONLY criteria for a democracy...

Been saying that for years. And just spent the morning trying to get it across to some people in my neighborhood.

Show them the definition in ANY dictionary or Encyclopedia...

Majority vote is only one of the Criteria.

Show me a country where democracy exists.

True, they've been humiliated in the election now. But why were they allowed to be part of the coalition government if they should have been punished? If we didn't punish BJT over the past years, we shouldn't punish PT in the coming years, don't you think? Otherwise that would be double standards, wouldn't it.

You are saying that PPP wasn't openly a proxy-party for Thaksin?

Now please tell us: Are you in favour of election law and clean and fair elections - or are you not?

hey it's not over 'til the fat lady sings, as long as Thaksin wants to come home without getting even a token punishment, there will be trouble, this isn't the final chapter I'm afraid. Sooner or later he will want to come home, and even if they won all 500 seats democracy doesn't give them the right to re-interpret the law, so expect a lot of resistance from all quarters. Most likely Thaksin will use this formidable position of strength to negotiate a compromise and slowly but surely weedle his back into complete control. Back to square one, unless of course he learnt a few lessons from the coup.

One thing however, after everything we've seen from the Peua Thai/UDD and their systematic campaign to discredit this outgoing administration, the dirty tactics, the siege of Ratchaprasong, the Pattaya embarrassment, the defacing of Dem posters, propaganda radio, the total and utter refusal to admit any wrong-doing about anything, ever, it's a wonder that they've won by a landslide, truly a wonder, I really would love to know exactly how they did it (wink, nudge)