Thaksin 'Clone' Set To Be Thai PM

webfact

She may be a "clone" but will actually be his puppet....

I think the puppets are the people who cling to cliches. IMHO the lady in power will not let go of the power once she tastes it. Not for anybody including her big brother. You underestimate the rush of power and you patronise the woman. She will make her own statement most likely a lot better than big bro. Beat of Irish luck to Yingluck.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai stocks were the day’s biggest gainers after a decisive electoral victory for a party headed by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s younger sister, Yingluck Shinawatra. Citigroup analysts said the results should lead to a rerating of the stock market, as the policies the winning party proposed during the campaign — including large increases in the minimum wage and monthly support for retirees — “should drive stronger consumption and investment spending

This in the papers in the U.S

Vive la Thaksin.jap.gif

They gained today because they'd been losing over the last couple of weeks. A clear majority by the PTP has settled some nerves about protests.

She may be a "clone" but will actually be his puppet....

I think the puppets are the people who cling to cliches. IMHO the lady in power will not let go of the power once she tastes it. Not for anybody including her big brother. You underestimate the rush of power and you patronise the woman. She will make her own statement most likely a lot better than big bro. Beat of Irish luck to Yingluck.

Thaksin giveth, Thaksin taketh away,

SHINAWATRA FAMILY WEALTH

It seems to me many posters here has it against Shinawatra money. They so called getting rich from fraud etc. Nobody cared to take a reality look, so let me offer you one issue. I am talking to those who actually do spend some time in Thailand. Here are some simple numbers:

AIS - Original first Thai mobile phone operator.

During 2004 their subscriber base was around 16 million users; in 2009 it was more than 28 million.

I know how often Thai's use their phones; but for the sake of this example let us say on general only 50% of the users only use their phone for one call in any 24 hour period. In 2004 that would be 8 million calls, then the rate was Bt 6 per call (1-2-Call). Income to AIS per day in excess of Tb 48 million per day;

Tb 1,4 billion per month and more than Tb 17 billion per year. The Shinawatra family, on that stage - owned about 48% of AIS. We all know the phone calls were much higher in number, but that I can't find in published material.

AIS were not the only money making business this family had; they are Old-Money, major property developers in Bangkok and Chiangmai for generations and has a number of other business activities and share holdings. There were also major shares in Air Asia, Shin Satellite (aka SATTEL/ THAICOM). Shin Sat launched their first SAT into orbit in 1993, #2 in 1994, #3 in 1997, iPSTAR was launche din 1005, ThaiCom #5 in 2006 . . .

ITV - yes that one even you can watch in English sometimes was established by Shin Corp in 1995, SC Matchbox Co. Ltd since 1991. To cut short the other names which you can find on Thai Stock exchange are ITAS, TMC, ADV, Shinee, MERRY STAKE and more.

Shin Corp (Holding co of AIS) was sold to Singapore Temasek Holdings in January 2006 for more than 73 billion baht (US$ 1.88 Bln at rate then of Tb39.12). Sale was because accusations of Thaksin's 'conflict of interest' and that sale to a non-Thai company caused a lot of conflict. Eventually it leads to the military coup, accusations of fraud and confiscations of money.

Guess how come Thaksin Shinawatra got his family money growing exponental? Oh and the so called corruption charges once against PM Yingluck was because she was accused of insider trading when she sold her shares in Shin Corp in 2006 - to Singapore! Why was the case thrown out of even the Abhisit ruled court? Any trader selling/buying less than 5% total shares can't be accused of insider trading.

How much shares did Lingluck Shinawatra own and sell? 0.68% of Shin Corp.

Edited by Aromaz

I would hope & expect the military to give her time, to show how she wants to run things & who she picks for Defense Minister, .......

I doubt she will be picking anybody for anything, other than her hairdresser perhaps. She appears to be controlled, not only by her brother, but also by a host of older men who are always manipulating things around her. I hope I'm wrong, but a person who skirts around debating, avoids issues, get tired when having to think deeper than what whitening cream to use - is not the type of leader who is going to pick a Defense Minister. At least for the foreseeable future, every decision of substance will be made either by her brother and/or her heavy handed controllers.

Thaksin accused of stealing his own money ??

What exactly is the so called case of fraud, stealing, etc against Thaksin? I am sure most readers here do not even have the slightest clue!

When Thaksin came to office in 2001 he declared personal and spouse's assets to the value of Tb 15 billion. Most of that were 49.6% assets in Shin Corp.

That was AFTER he donated a majority of assets and investments to his ADULT children, other family members and associates - BEFORE he took up office as Prime Minister.

In the 2006 presentation the Military claimed his FAMILY assets was exceeding Tb 76 billion - claiming he became unusually rich during time in office.

His wealth grew because SHIN CORP grew exponental. Google "Shin Corp" and read a bit of how phenomenal their growth was. At that time AIS was part of Shin Corp under management of PM Yingluck Shinawatra!

So let us make a sum here: He had 49.6% shares remaining in Shin Corp. Shin Corp was sold for 73 Billion Baht in 2006. At that time, as is today still the same - Capital gains on company assets, land etc are not taxable in Thailand. Now, 49% of 74 billion is Tb 35.77 billion; add in the 15 billion he did retain in the beginning and the total is a round 50 billion. By the time of the court case the exchange rate was lower, money was not brought to Thailand and the so called fraud value of Tb 46 billion was applied. Much depends on what value of Tb/Forex you want to apply in this case.

How come the court case then? The military controlled regime made slight changes to the Revenue Law lat in 2006 - and under such changes Thaksin was found guilty. Even though those changes were made to the law AFTER he was already accused and couped. TiT. In worst case scenario, realistically if they really pushed the waggon maybe somehow they could claim he had to pay tax - and tax in this scase would be 30% of the profits - not capital gain, but give in to that - the amount wuld not be more than maybe 3 billion baht. Small change for Thaksin!

So what about the future?

I do not think Thaksin will return sooner than 18 months, probbaly only towards end 2013 (if we survive 2012).

There will not be a 'pardon' but I expect there will be new court cases, proper investigations by outside entity and a not-guilty verdict. PM Lingluck will remain her term, Thaksin will stand for the new elections in 2016 - if he is still alive and healthy enough in five years.

Edited by Aromaz

"........BTW what is democracy?

is that where you get to vote someone in and then they do what ever they want and fly around in their own plan and live in a big house with lots of money and change the laws and and and?

That's pretty much how it works in the US. The democracy part comes in at the end of the first term where you either blindly validate the incumbant or you shitcan them and give the next idiot a shot

I would hope & expect the military to give her time, to show how she wants to run things & who she picks for Defense Minister, .......

I doubt she will be picking anybody for anything, other than her hairdresser perhaps. She appears to be controlled, not only by her brother, but also by a host of older men who are always manipulating things around her. I hope I'm wrong, but a person who skirts around debating, avoids issues, get tired when having to think deeper than what whitening cream to use - is not the type of leader who is going to pick a Defense Minister. At least for the foreseeable future, every decision of substance will be made either by her brother and/or her heavy handed controllers.

You post says more about you than Khun Yingluck. You Thaksin-phobes are really taking this hard.

biggrin.gif

/../ she's probably the most attractive PM ever?.

My lord, please tell me that you are joking?

Well compare her to thatcher, gillard and co, I also think she is the most attractive P.M ;)

What about Merkel?biggrin.gif

Shoulder rubs any one, did not work out so well for baby Bush.

moooooooo....got milk?

Sorry, no controversy there for the majority of Thais, who like her family.

It's just a minority of academics (people who can't do like to teach), old money afraid they will lose out in a real competitive free market (that Thaksin was moving Siam towards irregardless of if his tactics were too rough, and ......I won't even go on....anybody who's been around past 10 years knows how it went down if they were not too busy at the local strip joint all the time.

Sorry, no controversy there for the majority of Thais, who like her family.

It's just a minority of academics (people who can't do like to teach), old money afraid they will lose out in a real competitive free market (that Thaksin was moving Siam towards irregardless of if his tactics were too rough, and ......I won't even go on....anybody who's been around past 10 years knows how it went down if they were not too busy at the local strip joint all the time.

Siam????

Who is this? Yul Brynner?

RANKING PARTY VOTES PERCENTAGE MPs

1 PT 13,868,654 44% 61

2 DP 10,130,264 32% 44

3 BJT 1,150,341 3% 5

4 R.TL.P 859,567 2% 4

5 CP 811,570 2% 4

6 CPN 446,745 1% 2

Some of you guys act like all of the voters voted for Thaksin. Keep in mind that 56% did not vote for thaksin and/or PT.

And 68% did NOT vote for Abhisit by your reckoning. That's over two-thirds did NOT want Abhisit to continue.

Two-thirds DID NOT want him.

Are you still listening?

Over two-third's DIDN'T want.... Oh, I give up.

Yes and on those strange percentage figures 56% did NOT vote for PTP either so NO PARTY SHOULD HAVE A MAJORITY LET ALONE A CLEAR ONE; no question on that and no valid argument could be made against that point. Now I said strange figures as the sums just do not add up. There is a missing 16% of the electorates votes not included and the spoiled papers figure I saw the other day would only account for less than 1% by my reckoning. So these figures are as usual in Thailand misquoted and illogical as total percentage votes have to add up to 100 I think you will find that is what per CENT means :rolleyes::whistling:

One thing is clear where you have a country with more than two political parties standing for election then First Past The Post is totally stupid, illogical, unfair and undemocratic system. Same as we have in the UK where we get minority voted landslide Governments like we now just see here in Thailand using the flawed FPTP system. The British people got recently fooled and lied to and ended up voting NO to AV recently; that was bloody silly and a lost opportunity for true British Democracy to return for a generation. FPTP is no problem in the USA as they are only one step away from a single party dictatorship with only two political parties to choose from and both of those are to the right of centre (The Republicans a nasty long way to the right too!!) Only system I have seen that is very close to a 100% true democratic system is Proportional Representation, with Alternate Vote system at least a lot better than this undemocratic FPTP system. PTP should have 40% to 45% of the seats if close to true democracy and NO WAY a clear majority that they have wrongly got. The only thing CLEAR about these results is it is NOT democratic as why should 56% be dictated to by PTP in total control Government. With these percentage votes figures the PTP should really have to form a coalition with one or more of the fringe parties to have a small majority in Government.

Can anyone get the true percentage split of the total votes including spoiled papers. Would be interesting whereas the figures quoted here are illogical and virtually meaningless as they just do not add up !!

Anyway I DO sincerely hope the new Government bring success and prosperity to the vast majority of fairly poor Thai folk, so lets give then the benefit of the doubt and hope Thaksin stays well clear. Thailand needs stability now above all else. Personally though I have no trust in the nepotistic Shinawatra family as they are indeed the ruling class elites and already Thaksin and his wife have been proven to have committed fraud on land deals and using his power to enlarge his riches by changing tax laws into his favour before selling off Shin Corp, so he really personally robbed the Thai people without doubt. Amnesty is only for political crimes NOT normal crimes like FRAUD so forget Thaksin in any Government he needs to serve his correctly and rightfully imposed jail term and as a criminal barred form politics for life, and I say this whether or not any of us agree with Thaksin's policies as we are talking about justice here. That Yinglat is his puppet is likely but remains to be seen though it cannot be stopped of course BUT the new Government could if they open their eyes see through this and remove her from the PM job if this is proven to be the case. Heck would be a bit like the British PM taking policy decisions from Ronnie Biggs !!!!!

Oh whoever said a woman as PM is a benefit. No reason why not but past examples make me cringe liek teh bitch Thatcher in the UK who saw to it that poor people were stolen from and lost a lot so she could support her already wealthy benefactors. Lets hope Yinglat proves to be NOTHING like Thatcher and her extreme right wing divisiveness.

<snip>

Now I said strange figures as the sums just do not add up. There is a missing 16% of the electorates votes not included and the spoiled papers figure I saw the other day would only account for less than 1% by my reckoning. So these figures are as usual in Thailand misquoted and illogical as total percentage votes have to add up to 100 I think you will find that is what per CENT means :rolleyes::whistling:

<snip>

Can anyone get the true percentage split of the total votes including spoiled papers. Would be interesting whereas the figures quoted here are illogical and virtually meaningless as they just do not add up !!

<snip>

I think the figures you quoted are not the final count.

Does anyone have a link to final counts?

One thing is clear where you have a country with more than two political parties standing for election then First Past The Post is totally stupid, illogical, unfair and undemocratic system. Same as we have in the UK where we get minority voted landslide Governments like we now just see here in Thailand using the flawed FPTP system. The British people got recently fooled and lied to and ended up voting NO to AV recently; that was bloody silly and a lost opportunity for true British Democracy to return for a generation. FPTP is no problem in the USA as they are only one step away from a single party dictatorship with only two political parties to choose from and both of those are to the right of centre (The Republicans a nasty long way to the right too!!) Only system I have seen that is very close to a 100% true democratic system is Proportional Representation, with Alternate Vote system at least a lot better than this undemocratic FPTP system. PTP should have 40% to 45% of the seats if close to true democracy and NO WAY a clear majority that they have wrongly got. The only thing CLEAR about these results is it is NOT democratic as why should 56% be dictated to by PTP in total control Government. With these percentage votes figures the PTP should really have to form a coalition with one or more of the fringe parties to have a small majority in Government.

Australia's system of Preferential Voting is good. It allows people to vote for smaller parties, but their other preferences are used if their first preferences doesn't make it. The winner is the one with the majority of preferred votes.

<snip>

Now I said strange figures as the sums just do not add up. There is a missing 16% of the electorates votes not included and the spoiled papers figure I saw the other day would only account for less than 1% by my reckoning. So these figures are as usual in Thailand misquoted and illogical as total percentage votes have to add up to 100 I think you will find that is what per CENT means :rolleyes::whistling:

<snip>

<snip>

I think the figures you quoted are not the final count.

Does anyone have a link to final counts?

Australia's system of Preferential Voting is good. It allows people to vote for smaller parties, but their other preferences are used if their first preferences doesn't make it. The winner is the one with the majority of preferred votes.

Yes I know you have AV over in OZ and it works well but not the full PR system which is a whole lot better and more democratically accurate in the results it produces. In the recent British Electoral Reform referendum, the NO campaign lied through their teeth to put off gullible folk from voting YES and even said that Australia wants to ditch AV and go back to the old First Past The Post system and I am pretty sure this is really NOT true.

As you say AV at least ensures all elected representatives command more than 50% of their constituency votes by where needed using folks second or third choice votes. One thing is sure that if you do not want a candidate elected at all then he/she is not one of a voter's lower choices at all. So the elected candidate might not be everyone's first choice but at least is an acceptable elected representative and thus much closer to the true democracy that PR would give. I am a Brit but have to say that in many things the Ozzies show they far more sensible and less gullible than many Brits who easily got fooled by the lies and false innuendo into voting NO to AV. So the UK will get what it deserves and continued minority elected full control undemocratic Governments. Oh and YES UK Government measures still very much concern me as my pension income is paid in the UK thus directly affected by Income Tax rules/rates and Currency Exchange Rates.

Edited by rayw

My wife's sister from Korat did well today. She received 500b from one party and also 500b from another party, however she voted for for Yingluck's party!

And she had no problem accepting money from the side she knew she would not vote for, when the clear premise is to accept the money is to accept to vote for that party?

The very fabric of society is composed of cheating and corruption, every level.

No...It's called a fool and his money are soon parted.

Now...if someone gave me money to donate to a charity and I kept it that would be one thing but there is no honor in politics and somebody offering you money to vote for his candidate deserves anything they get.

I forgot to include personal honor, ethics, morality; none of which can be demeaned or negated by any combination of cliches or rationalizations.

The last 2 Thaksin puppets didn't last too long. I wonder how this will play out?

Will be very entertaining, as we will see the first PM in the world whom can not enter any discussions or debates, since she is not allowed to do so.

:lol:

Yingluck is better advised and smarter than Sara Pailin was in that Pailin did enter debates and tough interviews.

Aung San Suu Kyi ; May God bless her and keep her safe.

Everybody i spoke to here in thailand voting for Yingluck

Not surprising if your username is any indication what people you speak to.

Lovely people I am sure, but not very educated.

The only difference between those from a privileged background to those from a less fortunate one is money- not IQ!

I always thought it was one's wardrobe, home and car that made the difference. Then again, there are these pesky, spiritual notions of education, upbringing, values and culture.

Did anybody ask Yingluck or has she stated during her campaign at all that she has divested herself of her SC Asset holdings so that there is no conflict of interest? If she has how did she do so?

Has any reporter asked this question of her at all?

The last 2 Thaksin puppets didn't last too long. I wonder how this will play out?

Will be very entertaining, as we will see the first PM in the world whom can not enter any discussions or debates, since she is not allowed to do so.

Yingluck is better advised and smarter than Sara Pailin was in that Pailin did enter debates and tough interviews.

Aung San Suu Kyi ; May God bless her and keep her safe.

The Republicans actually got a significant bounce after her debate where she could easily prepare for the questions that were being asked.

It's the interview with reporters where Palin fell apart.

You can imagine than the press is going to be much more restricted in what they can say going forward just like it was under Thaksin's reign.

Edited by steffi

Not surprising if your username is any indication what people you speak to.

Lovely people I am sure, but not very educated.

The only difference between those from a privileged background to those from a less fortunate one is money- not IQ!

I always thought it was one's wardrobe, home and car that made the difference. Then again, there are these pesky, spiritual notions of education, upbringing, values and culture.

If you look at today's Nation picture of Yingluck waiing you'll see she's wearing what looks to be a ladies Patek Philipe Nautilus. Looks like the good times are back for the Shinawatra's.

When Thaksin was in office he made the comment that it did not matter who he had in his cabinet since they all did what he told them to do anyway. It is the same with PM until he makes a mistake and puts someone in that will stand up to him.

A shining star for global feminism!

Actually, her campaign will be studied by political strategists all over the world. How the pretty "product" with basically NO SUBSTANCE (and no experience, poor education, etc.) could be marketed to produce a historic landslide victory. Like marketing a new flavor of salad cream. That is remarkable. A bigger challenge, take an even prettier pet hospital receptionist with similarly absurd lack of any qualifications, with no FAMILY NAME advantage and deliver a similar result. BTW, I don't "hate" Yingluck, there is really no "there there" to hate, and who doesn't like a pretty face?

Judging by some of the posts/posters on TV I think its fair to assume she is better educated than many of the so called experts posting here.

As for hoodwinking the gullible public, well Tony Blair for one springs to mind.

My American friends are now saying pretty much the same as you have just posted, except their anger is directed at themselves for being taken in by The Emperors New Clothes that is Obama.

Well, we're not running for public office either. Most of the remarks here are just opinions. Everybody has a right to one. Or do you deny that? Yeah, I feel totally hoodwinked by Obama the shill.

I feel hoodwinked by obama also but i still would not have voted for McCain and pailin.

I offer you all a little break from the serious business of politics.

This

is not necessarily my opinion but I hope you all get a little smile from it.

Good luck to all Thai people. Pom rak Thai.

I offer you all a little break from the serious business of politics.

This

is not necessarily my opinion but I hope you all get a little smile from it.

Good luck to all Thai people. Pom rak Thai.

Yes, the Bovine Ministry has heard this rumen and have taken the proper steps.

Same here! People on this forum been so out of tough with Thais I am sure 90% live overseas but are experts.

The next thing they will say everyone was paid to vote red :lol:

Yes, everyone is big on democracy until democracy delivers a result they don't like and then they proclaim that all the voters are supposedly uneducated, ill-informed and naive ... unlike the "intelligentsia" who populate TV message boards, the majority of whom are [self-appointed] "experts" in every field imaginable and have an indepth knowledge of Thai politics despite being unable to read/comprehend any Thai news coverage or political discussion.

And this is basically the same group of experts who were moaning endlessly that they were denied ready access to liquor for a day or two because of the election.

I think that group is a bunch of non-participants in the election.

It is indeed humiliating for the ruling class that has done everything possible to stop the Thaksin political machine.

You are happily ignoring that Thaksin himself claimed as part of his defense in absentia, to have got his multi-billion dollar assets from his ultra-rich family, which immediately puts him in the richest Hi-So 1% of the worlds population, and thus by ANY definition a core part of the Thai Ruling Class, and that he had a multibillion business empire funded in part by bribes & larceny, and that he employed his own family members and repeatedly promoted his own family members to Ruling Class positions in Thai business & government, and built a little Thaksin Family PLC bubble at the very tip-top 1% of Thai Ruling Class society, while occasionally tossing a few table-scraps to the working proles down below to keep things ticking over.

The biggest bare-faced evidence of this is our new PM. Examine her if you will. Does she look like she has spent long hard years in the paddy fields and wood-yards, under a baking sun, in poverty and desperation, like the millions of hard-working rural people she so amazingly claims to represent ? Can't you see her chalk-white dermatologically perfect unblemished skin (as is so very popular with the skin-bleaching Hi-So Ruling-Class in BKK). Does she look to you like she has been baked in the sun from years of backbreaking rural toil as she nobley struggles with her farming comrades under the solar anvil. Put a photo of our new PM, next to a photo of the sunbaked desperately poor field-workers who we saw in Bkk Demos last year & who were paid in promises & cash to get her Hi-So Ruling Class family back into control of the heavy-agri resources etc. & untold $billions more. Note the difference in appearance between the candidate & the voters. A different world entirely. Thats because she is pure dynastic Ruling Class & they are not.

Of course you know it takes a shark to know another shark.

You think because Teddy Kennedy was from the very rich in America that he was any less a fighter for the common man?

FDR was from a very rich family and that certainly diod not stop him from being a fighter for the common man.

So what is your point?

You think only a man from the countryside who worked in the fields can fight for the common Thai man?

I disagree and I doubt you really think that.

You just do not like the election results.

Let's not discuss Ted Kennedy (for many reasons). FDR I can agree with. And the rest you say I can partially agree with. But they will never know what it is to toil.

Thaksin is already promising to bring the USD back to 40/THB and 30 million tourists a year in LOS - he has all but actually proclaimed himself the real PM. Ta-da! The joke is no longer just a joke. A whole nation (or at least most of it) has fallen for it.

Did he really say that? Link? Not doubting it, just that I get paid in USD so would be happy about that for sure!

Not heard that myself as a PTP policy but I am also not saying it isn't true either, but now important that we do find out whether it is true or not. From my experience of Foreign Exchange you may well see a fast and immediate strengthening of the Thai Baht brought about by the hopeful promise of some possible long awaited stability here. If this happens, and we do not see what is now any unlikely new turmoil here, then expect the US$/Thai Baht middle rate to drop below 30 and forget anything even remotely near 32 let alone 40!!! Indeed also the British Pound will likely drop back down into the low 48's or even 47's again this coming week. If the Baht is eventually devalued by the new Government then sure it would initially help us falangs living here whose income is paid their home currency, but do not forget that devaluation nearly always brings higher inflation too as needed imports like oil and raw materials rapidly rise in price, so any gains we see will be short lived and really a false windfall.

The true and real sustained way to get more Baht for the US$, or £ etc is to see our home currencies strengthen by better management of the attempted recovery from the serious financial crises we have in the west. Currently the too soon and too severe austerity measures will as I see it suppress much needed growth in the west and delay recover for many years. You may not have liked him, but Britain's George Brown was IMHO about the only one who actually got it right with his recovery measures before losing office and his carefully thought out and intelligent plans to secure the required growth would have worked so much better than what we see now in the UK and the Euro zone and USA too.

My company's biggest competitors in the export market are the Chinese. While our products are better, they can make them cheaper. The promised increase in the minimum wage will have a significant impact on our ability to export. However, if the exchange rate does slide in the dollar's favor, then that should offset our increased costs. so we will be back to square one.

From what I have seen, not only are Chinese product cheaper, they should be as they are largely junk or never up to the standards they were supposed to be.