Thaksin 'Clone' Set To Be Thai PM

webfact

Thaksin 'clone' set to be Thai PM

BANGKOK, July 3, 2011 (AFP) - Yingluck Shinawatra, who is set to be Thailand's first female prime minister, is a political novice whose biggest asset is also her most controversial -- her family name.

She is widely seen as a stand-in for her older brother, the fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra who describes Yingluck as his "clone" and who has already called to congratulate her on an apparent landslide election victory.

According to exit polls, Yingluck has led Thaksin's Puea Thai Party to a landslide win, with a thumping majority of up to 313 seats out of 500 against just 152 for Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's ruling Democrats.

The photogenic 44-year-old businesswoman has run a polished campaign, defying sceptics who said the initial excitement over her nomination as the main opposition candidate for prime minister would soon fizzle out.

A smiling Yingluck arrived at Puea Thai headquarters Sunday afternoon, clad in bright purple, to be mobbed by jubilant supporters and the media, but cautioned she wanted to wait for the official results before claiming victory.

"Thank you to the people who came out to vote," she told supporters.

With her groomed appearance, relaxed demeanour and carefully choreographed stage routines, Yingluck -- 18 years junior to her controversial big brother -- proved a hit on the campaign trail.

"There's no question she's getting a bounce from excitement over the idea of Thailand having a woman prime minister, the novelty of a fairly young, attractive candidate, and because the Democrats are running such a lacklustre campaign," said Thailand expert Michael Montesano.

And on top of that is her name -- a big plus in the eyes of Thaksin's fans but a turnoff for supporters of the establishment.

"She could have been a potted plant and that would have been true," said Montesano, of the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies in Singapore.

Yingluck told AFP while campaigning that she and her brother were similar in their approach.

"We are alike in the sense that I have learned from him in business and I understand his vision, how he solves problems and the way he built everything from the beginning," she said.

Thaksin remains a hugely divisive figure in Thailand. He was ousted in a 2006 military coup and fled the country in 2008 before a court sentenced him in his absence to two years in prison for corruption.

He is still adored by many rural and working class voters for his populist policies while in power, but is reviled by the ruling elite who see him as corrupt and a threat to the revered monarchy.

Yingluck herself, however, is seen as a fresh face largely untainted by scandal. Accusations by her political foes that she lied in court to protect her brother appear to have had little impact on her popularity.

In contrast to British-born premier Abhisit who is criticised for lacking the common touch, she has refrained from negative campaigning, instead focusing on her policies and stressing the need for reconciliation after years of unrest.

"She's able to look natural in front of big crowds in a way that the prime minister just cannot, no matter what he does," said Montesano.

Yingluck was born on June 21, 1967, into one of the most prominent ethnic Chinese families in northern Chiang Mai province, the youngest of nine siblings.

Until recently president of Thai real estate firm SC Asset Corp, she graduated in political science from Chiang Mai University and earned a masters degree in public administration at Kentucky State University in the United States.

She returned to Thailand to work for one of Thaksin's companies as a trainee in the early 1990s, going on to take various positions within her brother's business empire.

She is a former president of the mobile telephone unit of Shin Corp., the telecoms giant founded by Thaksin that was at the centre of a scandal over the tax-free sale of the family's shares in the group in 2006.

While her business credentials are well known, observers say she has given few concrete clues about what kind of leader she would be.

"She is at the moment sticking by what Thaksin has asked her to do in a very detailed way," said a Bangkok-based Western diplomat. "I don't think we have yet seen what she is capable of."

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-07-03

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to exit polls, Yingluck has led Thaksin's Puea Thai Party to a landslide win, with a thumping majority of up to 313 seats out of 500 against just 152 for Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's ruling Democrats.

In politics things can change very quickly it seems. From 17:09 today:

ThaiPBS based on total vote counting so far PT 256, Dem 165, BJT 34, Chart Thai Pattana 18, Chart Pattana Puea Paendin 10, Palangchon 6 /via@bangkokpundit

While her business credentials are well known, observers say she has given few concrete clues about what kind of leader she would be.

Yet she wins a landslide. Government they deserve ... government they deserve.

Western mass media will celebrate it: she is a woman.

Well, landslide or a bare majority, either way they can form a government without a coalition. I think the next year will prove to be interesting. Either the voters are correct and Thaksin will remain a paternal adviser who will lead Thailand toward a more egalitarian society, or else all hell will break loose! Personally, I'm hoping that my opinion of Thaksin/PT/the Redshirts is wrong.

Thaksin is already promising to bring the USD back to 40/THB and 30 million tourists a year in LOS - he has all but actually proclaimed himself the real PM. Ta-da! The joke is no longer just a joke. A whole nation (or at least most of it) has fallen for it.

Well I just hope that the democrats will take the high road and try to work with them for the good of Thailand.

I feel it is not a good thing for Thailand but on the other hand It might pay off for the ex pats with the decline of the Baht.

I just wonder how many Thai's had a grip on themselves when they voted for Yingluck.:jap:

Thaksin is already promising to bring the USD back to 40/THB and 30 million tourists a year in LOS - he has all but actually proclaimed himself the real PM. Ta-da! The joke is no longer just a joke. A whole nation (or at least most of it) has fallen for it.

I don't think the Thais are that stupid.

Maybe that's what they wanted Bob!

Yet she wins a landslide. Government they deserve ... government they deserve.

Western mass media will celebrate it: she is a woman.

No they won't! They aren't that stupid. They know Thailand elected a puppet of a MAN. Not a victory for feminism at all.

Everybody i spoke to here in thailand voting for Yingluck

Not surprising if your username is any indication what people you speak to.

Lovely people I am sure, but not very educated.

The only difference between those from a privileged background to those from a less fortunate one is money- not IQ!

"Thaskin 'Clone" set to be PM"

Real impartial headline that one!whistling.gifwhistling.gif

Hehe. Every story here on TV.com seems incredibly biased with right-wing type headlines...almost comical at times.

Wait a second mate. Thaksin called her a clone. Yes?

The only difference between those from a privileged background to those from a less fortunate one is money- not IQ!

I agree, hence why I wrote 'educated'.

Sadly however one has to be educated, atleast about the political parties and how their policies will affect the nation, to make an educated choice in an election. Anything else is either group-think, peer-pressure or purely emotional reasons.

Did he really say that? Link? Not doubting it, just that I get paid in USD so would be happy about that for sure!

Same here! People on this forum been so out of tough with Thais I am sure 90% live overseas but are experts.

The next thing they will say everyone was paid to vote red :lol:

Edited by hardy1943

Same here! People on this forum been so out of tough with Thais I am sure 90% live overseas but are experts.

This next thing they will say everyone was paid to vote red :lol:

Unfortunately the poor have been paid to vote. Thailand will stay in the corruption zone. :(

I don't think the Thais are that stupid.

Maybe that's what they wanted Bob!

Bob may also believe the middle and wealthy class Thai mindset that was given to them by the coup leaders in 2006... that "The poor in Thailand don't understand democracy." ... In other words, the poor are stupid farmers that will vote for anybody that gives them 500 baht and various promises. I see this mentality quite often in Bangkok. A true contempt for the poor or lower classes. jap.gif

The next thing they will say everyone was paid to vote red :lol:

Um...most of the frequent posters, from either side, live here in Thailand.

The big enlightening has still not yet come... We need first a coupe of more years of corruption, stealing and Taksinometrics and Taksin again in his chair! But the voters are always right... :unsure: