Non-Immigrant B Visa Run Question

My wife and I (both from USA) have Multiple Entry Non-Immigrant B visas which are coming to the end of our first 90 days. We have work, but neither of us has been issued a work permit yet. That means visa run time!

We live in Chiang Mai and I have heard from people around me (and prospective employers) that we HAVE to go to Laos to renew our visas.

Is this true? I haven't been able to find anything solid about it online.

If it is, what is the best way to get to Laos? Anyone with experience have some sage advice?

Thanks in advance for any help.

You have to leave the country, enter another country, leave that country and re-enter Thailand to get a new 90 days.

The nearest point from Chiang Mai would be Mae Sai in Chiang Rai. See thread with info here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/147481-mae-saitachilek-border-info/

Once you have a work permit, you might be able to get 1 year extensions of stay (depending on your job and income).

I have been told by an employer that I cannot go to Mae Sai for a multiple-entry non-Imm B. I have been told I have to go to Laos. Any reports on why this might be?

I have been told by an employer that I cannot go to Mae Sai for a multiple-entry non-Imm B. I have been told I have to go to Laos. Any reports on why this might be?

At Mai Sai you can leave and re-enter for a new entry of 90 days on a non-B.

However, if you want a new multiple non-B visa, you have to go to a Thai consulate to apply for one. Malaysia is the best in the neighbourhood.