Going To An Amphur To Get Married

hotandhumid

4.real - All that is required from the MOFA is for the translated copy of the affirmation to be stamped, correct?

How much is that if you go yourself? Obviously you have to take travelling expenses into account.

Once you've got the affirmation signed and stamped by the UK consular affairs dept. which, currently costs 2,860 baht.http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-thailand/how-register-marraige1/

You can get a same day service at the MFA for 800 baht, or a three working day service (it's available on the 3rd working day I believe) for 400 baht. As you say, if you don't need to go to the Embassy in Wireless Road, you'll have the travelling costs to Bangkok to add to that.

Olaf - Yep, I will kep it safe so I have it when the divorce comes around :bah:

Lopburi - So you would recommend registering with the UK governement then?

If I were UK national and planing on living there believe it would be a good idea (as then a legal copy is available in the UK). Otherwise I would not bother. I did make two such copies myself and have used one for official requirements to US Government. You can always wait until required but some of us do like to be ahead of the curve in case there were an immediate requirement it would be available. Such translation is sometimes required if seeking visas from Honorary Consulates (although likely not legalized).

As far as the UK is concerend, you can't register the marriage with the UK government as the marriage is already registered in Thailand.

As Bifftatstic said earlier, what you can do is deposit a copy of the Thai certificate with the General Records Office. Doing so or not doing so does not effect the legality of the marriage in any way. Under UK law if the marriage is legal in Thailand then it is legal in the UK (Foreign Marriages Act 1892). All it means is that a copy will be available to you in the UK should you need one. If you do want to pay the fee for doing this see here. Most Brits who marry abroad, myself included, don't bother.

The UK does not require translations to be certified by the MFA. All that is needed is a signed certificate in English on the translation from the translator confirming that it is an accurate translation and giving the name, address and phone number of the translator.

Also, I believe I'm right in saying, that the GRO do not give you the record back, so, if you want a copy of your own marriage certificate, you have to pay them again. So, what's the difference between a translated copy you keep yourself and the same translated copy you send to the GRO? They don't verify it or notarise it, they just stick it in a vault.

If there is any difference/advantage, I'd like to know what it is, I might change my mind and pay them to keep a copy for me. :)

A legal copy for any purpose would be available from them rather than having to retrieve a translation/copy that you might have lost or misplaced is my understanding. Believe posters that most uses may only require translation but to be internationally legal MFA registration is the method to make it so and having experienced handed down UK passions for paperwork (in several colonies) would like to have it fully legal myself.

...it would be better to wear a tailored shirt with a tie and long trousers.Plus leather shoes.

While in agreement with the long trousers/shoes do not believe a tie is required. Yes, we seem to have transformed the business Thai dress over the past 30 years with this tie nonsense but most Thai still accept a safari/Thai type shirt as very polite dress and fully proper. And in my opinion a darn site more comfortable (last tie day was at least 35 years ago).

Hey Guys,

I have an strange question maybe,

I got married about 3 months a go but it was a marriage in absent, I am going to see my wife in Thailand again, I was wondering if I could marry her again, in Thailand, because my marriage is not accepted in Australia( where I am resident now), but on the other hand,

one of the rules in thailand is to get certificate of your embassy that you are single or divorced, but in this case I want to marry someone who is already my wife in my own country,

is that possible or not ??

the other question is can I just do a christian marriage? will I get a certificate of church ? what do I need for it ??

Thanks in advance for your help

Hey Guys,

I got married about 3 months a go but it was a marriage in absent, I am going to see my wife in Thailand again, I was wondering if I could marry her again, in Thailand, because my marriage is not accepted in Australia( where I am resident now), but on the other hand,

one of the rules in thailand is to get certificate of your embassy that you are single or divorced, but in this case I want to marry someone who is already my wife in my own country,

the other question is can I just do a christian marriage? will I get a certificate of church ? what do I need for it ??

Believe you answered yourself as you must have paperwork from your Embassy that you are not married. If your Embassy says you are married you will not get that paper and without that paper you can not marry in Thailand. The only legal marriage in Thailand is registration at a District Office and that paper is an absolute requirement.

Hey Guys,

Believe you answered yourself as you must have paperwork from your Embassy that you are not married. If your Embassy says you are married you will not get that paper and without that paper you can not marry in Thailand. The only legal marriage in Thailand is registration at a District Office and that paper is an absolute requirement.

I know where are you coming from, but the thing is I dont want to marry someone else, I am getting married to the one who would have her name on that paper ?!

In Thailand you would register your original marriage, not a new marriage. Unles the Thai government doesn't recognize your marriage also.

Only a legal wedding at the amphur is a legal marriage in Thailand, so a church wedding will not do.

4.real - All that is required from the MOFA is for the translated copy of the affirmation to be stamped, correct?

How much is that if you go yourself? Obviously you have to take travelling expenses into account.

I did not ask her the cost .I was only too happy to not have to travel to BKK and queue for hours and then have to book a hotel and go back next day to collect.

Ell at visa plus made sure everything was in order .

I merely spent 30 minutes there and one week later collected the paperwork.

I think it was good value whatever the cost of 'doing it myself'.

Lopburi may hate wearing ties [if he ever has] but this is supposed to be a day that you and your future wife will remember forever..Hopefully with fondness.

some small discomfort should be worth the effort.

When I was a teacher here I ALWAYS wore a tailored shirt,long trousers and a tie.

A legal copy for any purpose would be available from them rather than having to retrieve a translation/copy that you might have lost or misplaced is my understanding. Believe posters that most uses may only require translation but to be internationally legal MFA registration is the method to make it so and having experienced handed down UK passions for paperwork (in several colonies) would like to have it fully legal myself.

...it would be better to wear a tailored shirt with a tie and long trousers.Plus leather shoes.

While in agreement with the long trousers/shoes do not believe a tie is required. Yes, we seem to have transformed the business Thai dress over the past 30 years with this tie nonsense but most Thai still accept a safari/Thai type shirt as very polite dress and fully proper. And in my opinion a darn site more comfortable (last tie day was at least 35 years ago).

Ah, ok I understand about the legal copy :) thanks.

Shirt and tie? well, it's only advisable to dress reasonably smartly for the Amphur, I reckon trousers and a shirt will be fine, no need for a tie unless you like wearing them. :)

/>Shirt and tie? well, it's only advisable to dress reasonably smartly for the Amphur, I reckon trousers and a shirt will be fine, no need for a tie unless you like wearing them. :)

Re. dress code, there is certainly no requirement to dress up or even be smart from what I saw in Bangrak, anything from shorts and flip flops, although there was one Euro couple in full wedding regalia. We did dress up a bit, as we wanted to make it some kind of event rather than just a paperwork exercise. That's also why we went to Bangrak, district of love and all that, but actually was quite a fun day out, opportunty to buy a love-book for the certificates, photo's on the rickshaw, etc. Tacky, but Thai.

And to cap it all treated my new bride to McDonald's on the motorway on the way home, come to think of it, I was the only one wearing a tie in there too....

I did have not so pleasant expreience at the amphur Bangrak office today when i went to register my marriage since both of us was farang , the girl we met at the door checked our papers and asked us if we have translator which we didn't have , she called us an agent maybe working in collaboration with her who wanted to charge thb 5000 even after i've done all the processing to that point. I was really pissed about this maybe i will try the Banglamung tommorrow since i can't find any Thai to be my translator

Thanks a lot for the replies, I know a lot more now.

Poor sucker - I read before that the Amphur will provide witnesses?

As for getting the marriage cert translated, I assume you can get that done at a few places, you don't necessarily have to go back to Chaeng Wattana?

I am in Pattaya by the way, but not sure yet what Amphur we will go to. May go to the one in ban rak, bkk as that is meant to be where where a lot of folk go to sign away their freedom.

Visa plus next door to Pattaya immigration will do the paperwork for you that needs to go to the ministry of foreign affairs [Cheang Wattana]

She will take to BKK and you will get everything back in order app one week later .She will phone you when all is ready.

I think the cost is around 3500 baht.

Well worth it.

For your fiance's sake and to show the officials that you are serious it would be better to wear a tailored shirt with a tie and long trousers.Plus leather shoes.

Yeah !! the shaved balding head with loads of tattoos wearing a string vest and swimming trucks don't go down too well especially with a big Rottweiler in toe.:lol:

Just so i'm 100% clear here.....when I have my affirmation stamped and then translated into Thai, the Thai version will be identical to my one, ie all of my details? If that is the case does my fiancee not need permission from her government to marry? How does the amphur know that she is free to marry? ie, not already married, or recently divorced? Or is it just a case of TiT and nobody cares...?

The Thai has an ID card and home register to present as proof of status; not a document from Embassy like foreigner. As marriage is a government step they have a central registry for Thai. Not for foreigners so the extra paper is required.

Lop - Ok. So will she have to file the marriage cert with the registery office or do the amphur do that?

Does her ID card show that she is single? I'm just wondering how the Amphur would know she isn't already married?

The Amphur IS the registry office, well, the Thai equivalent anyway :) If she's already married it will show up on the system when they enter her details.

The certificate is issued as proof that your marriage has been registered.

In our case they have, as a matter of public record, our relationship history prior to our marriage as well! Quite an interview it was too! :lol:

I had a better exprience at Laksi office(cheang Wattana Soi 10) which for me is better than Bangrak office since wife is farang as well. You don't need to bring translator or 2 witnesses bcos the woman will take care of everything for you, just go there with completed documents and the rest will be taken care off. I just gave THB1000 for everything after all the hassles i went through at Bangrak office