Don'T Call Me Poom Pui

saraburioz

I'm 42 years old and started getting a belly. I'm 6 feet 2 and got a good body otherwise. I work out in the Gym 4 times a week, running 5 km each time. play tennis once a week and golf.

What confuses me is my belly and someone called me poom pui yesterday!

I work on my computer until 2am ish and have been drinking a lot of juice(since i quit the booze a couple of months ago). I thought that the 7up and fanta(5ish a night)and the oreos were casuing it so i stopped buying the fizzy drinks and started eating cashew nuts. I now drink lots of different fruit juices, those B-drinks(boost, relax), msport, and gatorade. My belly seems worse!

please help!

ps. hardly smoke anything now since 2 months

:blink:B):(

You know Gatorade has 188 calories,i know i drank 2 the other day.

Also if your eating before going to bed then you are turning it into fat.

As we get older our metabolosm slows,this b drink,how many calories in that ,why dont you just drink ice water.

i cant help myself either,im training the same as you,but its the night time eating

sa

Maybe it's a old wives tale But I take Simvastatin and the doctor said you take them at bedtime because your body produces more fat during the night

I don't believe it's a case of you body "turning things into fat" or "producng fat"per se -- I don't believe that's how the body works -- and even less that it does so more at night than at other times. Rather I suspect that if indeed you risk weight gain by eating close to bedtime, it's a case of you burning far less calories when you are asleep -- if you eat far enough ahead of your bedtime, you can then burn some of those calories off even with regular activity.

It's simple really eat fewer calories that you burnover a period and you will lose weight.

The only thing about eating late at night possibly means you won't sleep well, (your body is working, (digesting) while you're trying to sleep….not good for resting)

As you get older your metabolizer does indeed start to slow down, best way to try and deal with this is eat less, (boo hoo) and change eating habits……Eat less more often, (say 5 meals a day, but make them small) it keeps the metabolizer burning all day and excises…….Do both cardio work,(running, cycling and swimming ect) for physical and mental well being and weight trg to maintain bone density build/maintain muscle mass, (more muscle mass more cals burnt.

"saraburioz' mate, welcome to the 'Fat Fighters' Lol! I know what you're on about, you either going to have to start taking 'speed' or just stop eating all together to get rid of the 'pot' if it really bothers you you're going to have to knock, all carbonated and fruit juices drinks and beer on the head, they are the main problem. Don't bother doing endless sit-up, it don't work.

What about checking into the local Wat for a month?......You fat Bas**rd. Ha ha.

Edited by Tonto21

:rolleyes:

How long has it been and how much weight have you gained in that time?

The reason I ask is that it may not be from the calories coming in from the amount you are eating...but fat accumulating because you are not burning up the calories you take in as fast as you did before. That could mean your metabolisim is slowing down and that's why your body is storing fat

So the first thing I would do if your weight gain has been recent and heavy is to see a doctor for a full medical checkup to try to find out why you are gaining weight quickly.

Even if nothing is found, you lose nohing but some Baht and gain peace of mind from the checkup.

If they do find something wrong...they can probably then deal with it early.

There are medical problems that could cause a person to gain weight faster than normal...not just to lose weight rapidly.

:rolleyes:

Read the side of juice cartons... there can be a lot of sugar in packaged juices and a lot of salt in veggie juice (blood pressure).

Apart from a glass of juice with breakfast, try replacing most other drinks you usually have with plain simple water.

The effect it has on your weight and your health in general might surprise you.

If you want to eat nuts then unsalted almonds and walnuts are good choices.

It's simple really eat fewer calories that you burnover a period and you will lose weight.

The only thing about eating late at night possibly means you won't sleep well, (your body is working, (digesting) while you're trying to sleep….not good for resting)

As you get older your metabolizer does indeed start to slow down, best way to try and deal with this is eat less, (boo hoo) and change eating habits……Eat less more often, (say 5 meals a day, but make them small) it keeps the metabolizer burning all day and excises…….Do both cardio work,(running, cycling and swimming ect) for physical and mental well being and weight trg to maintain bone density build/maintain muscle mass, (more muscle mass more cals burnt.

"saraburioz' mate, welcome to the 'Fat Fighters' Lol! I know what you're on about, you either going to have to start taking 'speed' or just stop eating all together to get rid of the 'pot' if it really bothers you you're going to have to knock, all carbonated and fruit juices drinks and beer on the head, they are the main problem. Don't bother doing endless sit-up, it don't work.

What about checking into the local Wat for a month?......You fat Bas**rd. Ha ha.

I'd like that but I have 3 kids to look after.

I'm 6'2" and 85 Kg. I've probably put on 3kg since 2 months ago.

A few years ago (well 22) I had an awesome 6-pack and even did a couple of underpant commercials when I was a model. I couldn't even fit into them now :lol:

Read the side of juice cartons... there can be a lot of sugar in packaged juices and a lot of salt in veggie juice (blood pressure).

Apart from a glass of juice with breakfast, try replacing most other drinks you usually have with plain simple water.

I will try that - thanks. Boring but..

How about soda water - a little more exciting?

I'd like that but I have 3 kids to look after.

I'm 6'2" and 85 Kg. I've probably put on 3kg since 2 months ago.

A few years ago (well 22) I had an awesome 6-pack and even did a couple of underpant commercials when I was a model. I couldn't even fit into them now :lol:

We are on the same page mate! I do 'undies' commercials……………..for the G/F, (strictly amateur). I mince up and down the bed room in my skids…..Good job she has a sense of humor!

22 year ago I was still… a lean green fighting machine, (army commando) Shit…………………………Gravity sucks! It get too us all in the end.

6'2" and 85Kg, that's not too bad….is it?

As for small pants…And still getting into them, my G/F's pants are about 26"……..I can still get into them most nights….:whistling:

Edited by Tonto21

I will try that - thanks. Boring but..

How about soda water - a little more exciting?

Soda would be fine - If you want to make it a bit more exciting you could add the occassional splash of juice to give it a hint of flavour but don't overdo it. Every glass of juice you have is the equivalent of several pieces of the respective fruit which means you are packing a lot of sugar into each glass (and at the same time you are missing out on the beneficial fibre you would get if you actually ate the fruit).

I noticed you say you stopped smoking 2 months ago or reduced the amount you smoke. If that is the case the its your metabolism that is slowing. Dont eat to soon after you wake, within 4 hrs of going to bed, exercise anaerobicly early on in the day, eat more food that is high in water content-fruit/veg. Whatever you do just dont start smoking again. Speaking from experience I gained excess of 10kg within 3 months of giving up the smokes, I don't care about weight gain as long as I dont smoke then I am happy.

Any pasteurized juice is basically just as bad for you as full sugar soda. I have plain soda water with just a spritz of cranberry juice, and a squeeze of lime. Takes care of the desire for something fizzy and juicy and hardly any calories at all. Try it, you'll like it!

As well, you can get a couple flavored soda waters now, I think Chang brings them out....not all stores sell them, but i think 7-11 usually have them. They have and apple-mint and also a lemon flavor. Nice flavor, 0 calories. Good!

Edited by tominbkk

Nuts have a lot of calories...

True... but if you are careful enough then it's actually a much healthier choice and it takes away cravings.

Try 24 pieces of unsalted (but roasted) almonds follow by a glass of water. You'll be full in no time.

Salt will just make you unable to stop eating. With me if I try just a little bit of salted almonds or anything alike, my mouth would turn into a vacuum eating everything until it finishes.

Any pasteurized juice is basically just as bad for you as full sugar soda. I have plain soda water with just a spritz of cranberry juice, and a squeeze of lime. Takes care of the desire for something fizzy and juicy and hardly any calories at all. Try it, you'll like it!

As well, you can get a couple flavored soda waters now, I think Chang brings them out....not all stores sell them, but i think 7-11 usually have them. They have and apple-mint and also a lemon flavor. Nice flavor, 0 calories. Good!

Yes, juices are very high in sugar. Eat real fruit is probably better. Just think of how many oranges are used to produce 200ml of OJ whilst you can enjoy one piece of orange with 1/4 sugar content (less juicy sugar content BUT, more fiber, you win).

Also, if I found no sugar green tea (bottled) to be quite good (no calories as well). One word of advice though: too much tea = constipation :(

My suggestions :

1. Stop drinking most juices. Allow only 1 box of unif which contains 80-140 kcal a day. Thailand has many fresh fruits to offer. Why do u drink fruit juice which loaded with sugar???

when i was on a diet (even now) i don't drink juices. I drink diet soda instead when i have a crave. Some contains caffeine and it keeps me awake when i work late (i don't drink coffee-ok i drink it rarely).

2. Cashewnuts have high calories. Other nuts also have high calories and high cholesterol too. Almonds are good for diet though..it helps to reduce your appetite but not the whole package

3. Read lables everytime you eat. I showed my ex bf he should read lables, he stopped snickers ever since. :lol:

4. Allow yourself some sweets. It's necessary to treat yourself once in a while.

5. Don't sleep late. Best is before midnight. It affects your growth hormone releasing.

6. Don't eat late. At least 4 hours before bedtime. Same reason as no.5

7. Have breakfast or fruits within 2 hours after u wake up.To prevent your cortisol rising.

8. More protein in the evening will help you not hungry in the middle of the night.

Personally i prefer a man with a slight belly. I like to squeeze it. :D

Edited by Pammalitta