Sparky Question

David006

Just a quickie but see lots of discussion on what gauge feeder cables to use for buildings etc..

How or what is the standard methodology to terminate these large gauge aluminum and the like cables into those pathetically small screw terminals( even in meters and large amperage breakers etc.) Seems the Thais ..(and me also admittedly) "trim" the cable back a few strands to get it in the bloody hole...

I assume there are single spade compression/soldered connectors out there but could not locate..what do you professionals do or recommend? Especially at the bloody meter??

Out of interest what mm2 cable is the max a Thai Electric Meter can take?

...sparkies strangely quiet??.....maybe this is too much of a "mechanical" issue..??

.... there is probably no definitive answer in the sparkie bible..

....oh well.... guess it's "near enough is good enough"...pass the vice grips and hammer...TIT

OK David, I'll bite :)

Correct ways:-

Get fittings (breakers etc) adequately sized for your cables, a 100A isolator for example, from a big name such as Schneider will likely be capable of accepting a 50mm2 cable.

If your cable is too big due to oversizing for volt-drop reasons, splice a short length of cable that will fit (and is adequately rated) on to the end (known as a pig-tail). To be honest, if this is the reason the cable is oversize, trimming a couple of strands won't hurt.

Use a crimp on reducer (the best way if you can find them, but I've never seen them here), but crimp lugs for bolt-on terminals are readily available, bolting two together with a stainless bolt allows you to make any size to any size cable connections. Heatshrink and amalgamating tape to finish the job.

OK David, I'll bite :)

Correct ways:-

Get fittings (breakers etc) adequately sized for your cables, a 100A isolator for example, from a big name such as Schneider will likely be capable of accepting a 50mm2 cable.

If your cable is too big due to oversizing for volt-drop reasons, splice a short length of cable that will fit (and is adequately rated) on to the end (known as a pig-tail). To be honest, if this is the reason the cable is oversize, trimming a couple of strands won't hurt.

Use a crimp on reducer (the best way if you can find them, but I've never seen them here), but crimp lugs for bolt-on terminals are readily available, bolting two together with a stainless bolt allows you to make any size to any size cable connections. Heatshrink and amalgamating tape to finish the job.

555 thanks mate.....

....yup used a 100a breaker in a box on the pole at the house end of my 1 km run.. more as an isolator switch than anything ..still had to trim the cable ..just a bit.

...for the drop to the house (underground) I added a pigtail (with bronze clamp Vaseline, amalgamating and PVC taped) inside an oversize bit of conduit next to the house under the roof overhang(looks like a snake swallowed a rat ).

I guess I could have used a pigtail drop at the meter but I just trimmed a little more...

Thought about using car battery/welding cable type crimp lugs (folding over the two semicircle of the bolt lug to make a spade) but decided that was all too hard..not having the correct tool anyways. ( on my boat used to use bolt cutters and solder)

still find it strange that the terminals at the meters are so small on the domestic "drop" side

thanks for you informed response

cheers

david