Golf Laser Distance Finder

kenny999

You see these used by Pro golfers a lot now, as a golfer you are always wondering how far you are hitting your shots, are these available to buy some where in Phuket? I am assuming something like this will carry a hefty price tag but I wanted to find out. Just Googled and found this. Longridge Golf Ball Laser Distance Finder anyone know where you find this sort of thing here, the price of this is £101 but here maybe more.

Only konw of a GPS type one.

You enter the course you're playing and it has all the hole information available and when you get to your ball it can tell you how far to go and how far back and where hazards are etc.

There's a guy in Bangkok distributes them but I don't know the price.

Only konw of a GPS type one.

You enter the course you're playing and it has all the hole information available and when you get to your ball it can tell you how far to go and how far back and where hazards are etc.

There's a guy in Bangkok distributes them but I don't know the price.

Thanks for the information, I saw a guy using the one I mentioned the other day, it's very good and can be used for many things, if I can't find here I will get from the UK.

Cheers

Edited by kenny999

Take a look at Golfbuddy World Platinum and Golfbuddy World. Both are sold in Bangkok (Thaniya Plaza, 3rd fl) at Baht 12.500 which is cheaper than in UK. They have plenty of courses in Thailand as well as 40.000 world wide courses loaded into them from beginning. It is easy to upload any upgrades later on which is free of charge.

http://www.golfbuddyglobal.com/

Take a look at Golfbuddy World Platinum and Golfbuddy World. Both are sold in Bangkok (Thaniya Plaza, 3rd fl) at Baht 12.500 which is cheaper than in UK. They have plenty of courses in Thailand as well as 40.000 world wide courses loaded into them from beginning. It is easy to upload any upgrades later on which is free of charge.

I don't want the GPS model,

I don't want the GPS model,

I am looking for this!!

post-58930-0-42589300-1309951812_thumb.j

hey kenny, i use one all the time, the main brand is bushnell, the newer models work great and pick up the flag very easily and quickly, ive got an older model and it struggles a bit to pick it up, the newer model also has elevation calculation so if your playing a very steep hole it works out how much the slope it affecting and either reduces or adds it. im sure you can pick one up at a decent price on ebay mate, would be expensive to buy one brand new from thailand.

hey kenny, i use one all the time, the main brand is bushnell, the newer models work great and pick up the flag very easily and quickly, ive got an older model and it struggles a bit to pick it up, the newer model also has elevation calculation so if your playing a very steep hole it works out how much the slope it affecting and either reduces or adds it. im sure you can pick one up at a decent price on ebay mate, would be expensive to buy one brand new from thailand.

I found a shop in Phuket town that sells the Bushnell V2 and V2 Tour, V2 is nearly 17,000bht Tour nearly 19,000 bht there is another model which is 24,000 bht in the UK the V2 is £250 with postage it would be the same cost as here, shop offered 10% discount for cash.

You will certainly not find these devices used by Professional Golfers - at least in Competition - and most players will be off to the local Rules Committee in a flash if they see you using one in competitive play too:

Rule 14:3 states in part:

Except as provided in the Rules, during a stipulated round the player must not use any artificial device or unusual equipment, or use any equipment in an unusual manner:

a. That might assist him in making a stroke or in his play; or

b. For the purpose of gauging or measuring distance or conditions that might affect his play.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

You will certainly not find these devices used by Professional Golfers - at least in Competition - and most players will be off to the local Rules Committee in a flash if they see you using one in competitive play too:

Except as provided in the Rules, during a stipulated round the player must not use any artificial device or unusual equipment, or use any equipment in an unusual manner:

b. For the purpose of gauging or measuring distance or conditions that might affect his play.

Patrick

Sorry but Pro's do use these range finders in competitions, have seen a couple of golfer's using them in competition whilst watching golf on the cable tv!!! Graeme Mcdowell is one Pro that uses the Nikon 350. also did you know that the very detailed yardage books the Pro's use are taken from a range finder!!!

The answer is "it depends". The USGA adopted Decision 14-3/0.5, which modifies Rule 14-3(B), and allows the use of laser rangefinders ONLY IF a Local Rule is adopted. So the organizer of the tournament determines whether or not a laser rangefinder (or for that matter, a GPS device) can be used in the tournament. I've played in some amateur tournaments that allow them, and others that do not.

Edited by kenny999

Patrick

Sorry but Pro's do use these range finders in competitions, have seen a couple of golfer's using them in competition whilst watching golf on the cable tv!!! Graeme Mcdowell is one Pro that uses the Nikon 350. also did you know that the very detailed yardage books the Pro's use are taken from a range finder!!!

The answer is "it depends". The USGA adopted Decision 14-3/0.5, which modifies Rule 14-3(B), and allows the use of laser rangefinders ONLY IF a Local Rule is adopted. So the organizer of the tournament determines whether or not a laser rangefinder (or for that matter, a GPS device) can be used in the tournament. I've played in some amateur tournaments that allow them, and others that do not.

McDowell used the Rangefinder in a "fun" Powerplay "shorter format" time limited round played over 9 holes to 2 Flags :

http://www.powerplay-golf.com/2011/05/26/powerplay-golf-gives-green-light-to-nikon-golf/

I can find no evidence that he has ever used one in a sanctioned Professional Tournament - if you can provide a Link to show that he - or any other Professional Golfer - did so I am happy to be corrected.

Of course Rangefinders are used by Caddies and others to set up their Course Management / Yardage Books - but that must be done before actual play begins - the "stipulated round" clearly defined in the Rule.

They can not be used in the course of Competitive, sanctioned Professional play.

Again of course if you can provide a Link to prove me wrong, please do so.

Patrick

Edit : spelling

Edited by p_brownstone

I do believe they cannot be used by touring professionals in actual play . It is acceptable for them to be used by a PGA professional in practice rounds but not once the tournament begins.

Local rules may allow them in some non-professional tournaments however.

The USGA, R&A and PGA often have rules of play that differ.

I do believe they cannot be used by touring professionals in actual play . It is acceptable for them to be used by a PGA professional in practice rounds but not once the tournament begins.

Correct.

Any tournament sanctioned by R&A or USGA disallows the use of range finders. There are, however, plenty of amateur events where it is allowed to use rangefinders for measuring the distance only. Note that some devices allows you to measure the slope as well as distance, these are NOT allowed.

Personally, I think they're great for practice, but I certainly hope they will never be allowed in professional play.

• 5 weeks later...

Actually you can get an awesome range finder if you look on hunting sights for about 1/2 the price of the golf ones....does the same thing...I bought a Leopold range finder and it works great.....Try Bass Pro Shops or Cabela's they ship anywhere I believe.

• 4 weeks later...

Correct.

Any tournament sanctioned by R&A or USGA disallows the use of range finders. There are, however, plenty of amateur events where it is allowed to use rangefinders for measuring the distance only. Note that some devices allows you to measure the slope as well as distance, these are NOT allowed.

Personally, I think they're great for practice, but I certainly hope they will never be allowed in professional play.

I have to correct myself here. I have just learned that there is at least one professional tour that allows the use of range finders during tournament play.

• Like 1

I have owned a couple of different Bushnell laser range finders and the newer models featuring "pinseeker technology" are much better than the older ones. It used to be hard to sight in on the flag but now much easier. If buying used best to go with the more modern models. I have not seen people using other brands and believe Bushnell is the dominant seller for the golf market.