Overstay For Children?

A few years ago a friend of mine would come and visit Thailand a couple of months a year with her daughter [under the age of 5] she would not buy a new visa for her child and the overstay wasnt a problem.

I cant seem to find any information on that, since we have our own daughter now, I wonder whether I have to bring her to the boarder for a visa run [she has her own pasport or do children really get to overstay without consequence?

Everybody needs according the Thai Immigration law a visa when required.

Only children below 15 years old can't be fined or jailed for overstay.

So yes they need a visa but there are no fines for overstay.

I don't know if she can get problems in the future when you are returning to Thailand and she has lengthy overstay stamps in her passport.

Everybody needs according the Thai Immigration law a visa when required.

Only children below 15 years old can't be fined or jailed for overstay.

So yes they need a visa but there are no fines for overstay.

I don't know if she can get problems in the future when you are returning to Thailand and she has lengthy overstay stamps in her passport.

In the same vein, I wonder what would happen at a police checkpoint. Everybody else gets out their passports and

permission to stay, but what happens with the child?

Carry, if your husband is Thai (I think you said that before) your daughter is Thai and has no need of visas.

subject to the daughter getting a Thai passport of course...

Well, yes, guess I should have made that clearer. If your partner is Thai then there is no reason to not get the child a Thai passport.

Wrong.....my wife is Thai.....my son needs a visa....but I never bother other than the tourist one.

If the mother of the child is Thai it is simply a matter of getting the child a Thai passport. Why would you not do this and save yourself a whole load of hassle?

Getting a Thai passport for a child is nothing more than registering the birth with the local amphur and if the child is born abroad registering the birth with the Thai embassy for that country. At the same time an application for a passport can be made.

Of course both parents will have to cooperate, but the process is very easy and Thailand does not have an issue with dual nationality in this case.

I'll be honest here Nawtier. I know many many people with half Thai children and not a single one has had an issue with the Thai passport. The only issue I could see would be a hill tribe person who has no ID card despite being born in Thailand.

If your wife is Thai with a legal Thai ID and is listed as the mother of the child on the legal birth certificate I can fathom no reason why obtaining a passport would be difficult. I am sure that others would like to hear a situation where it is not obtainable so that they can perhaps avoid it.

I have a son 9yo and he does not and at this moment cannot get a Thai passport due to 'paperwork' issues.

I have a daughter that is 6yo and has a thai passport.

So I know the difference and just saying that all is not black and white and if it was an easy option to get him the thai passport now, I would obviously....it is not an impossibility to do, just saying that it is easier currently for us to wait to do it later on.

So if it is not straightforward for me, I suggest there are others out there with possible similar problems and therefore your 'blanket' comments are not correct.....just being politically correct n all as I am known for being correct.

If born abroad, the Consular Section of the Thai Foreign Ministry can be of help in getting the Thai birth certificate from the relevant embassy.

People bussy trying to proof their Thai nationality can get extensions of stay based on that.

Well my bf, the father of my child is Thai but because it took us 8 months to get him a tourist via to come to the Netherlands to be at the birth of our daughter [something that ended with me being in a courtroom 2 days prior to giving birth and finally getting him a emergency visa] and in the end he was 2 days late for birth, he is not on the birth certificate.

So we're trying to get married, living in Thailand as a family but the Dutch embassy needs a whole lot of paperwork, of which all of my bf's needs to be legally translated before I can apply for a certificate to contract marriage at the city hall of my hometown in the Netherlands, a document needed to get legally married here in Thailand.

We havent got to that yet, Im going back to the Netherlands with my daughter next month, hoping to get all the paperwork done so we can get married and get him on the birth certificate, this is the easiest way to do it.

I am looking into getting a marriage visa as well, so that would make things easier, in the meantime I wondered if I could let her overstay until she will have her own thai passport, hopefully later this year.

Well my bf, the father of my child is Thai but because it took us 8 months to get him a tourist via to come to the Netherlands to be at the birth of our daughter [something that ended with me being in a courtroom 2 days prior to giving birth and finally getting him a emergency visa] and in the end he was 2 days late for birth, he is not on the birth certificate.

So we're trying to get married, living in Thailand as a family but the Dutch embassy needs a whole lot of paperwork, of which all of my bf's needs to be legally translated before I can apply for a certificate to contract marriage at the city hall of my hometown in the Netherlands, a document needed to get legally married here in Thailand.

We havent got to that yet, Im going back to the Netherlands with my daughter next month, hoping to get all the paperwork done so we can get married and get him on the birth certificate, this is the easiest way to do it.

I am looking into getting a marriage visa as well, so that would make things easier, in the meantime I wondered if I could let her overstay until she will have her own thai passport, hopefully later this year.

No fine as mentioned, no negative impact and nothing to worry about by overstaying with a child.

However, when you depart make sure you have the birth certificate with you as they will/may want to see that.

When you go through immigration at airport when leaving, they will send you over to the naughty overstayers desk and it will be signed out and all done in matter of minutes normally....they still need to simply sign and stamp something or they feel unwanted and less unimportant.

Since your child was born in The Netherlands, she needs to have her Thai birth certificate from the embassy in the Netherlands.

For you to get married, not much is necesarry. Check with your hometown if you can apply by internet. A lot of municipalities allow this. You do only give the personal information of your boyfriend, no legalisation of documents from your boyfriend are needed. (Just information for others, you are going to the Netherlands yourself in a few weeks)

To get the father named on the Dutch birth certificate maybe you do need to get some documents legalised.

well my hometown city hall wants my partners birth certificate and a document stating he's not married legally translated and approved by the Thai ministry of foreign affairs and the dutch embassy, I need this all to get the certificate the embassy asks for otherwise they wont allow a marriage between a dutch citizen and a Thai.

So first to city hall with papers translated from Thai to English and than back with papers translated from English to Thai...and thats just to get married after that comes applying for a marriage visa and the passport for our child.

Sounds easier to get married in Thailand. A Thai marriage should be legally recognized there yes? If so, then you go to your embassy get the affirmation to marry, get it translated into Thai, go to Min of Foreign Affairs and get permission to marry then go to any amphur and get married.

Seems a little odd that they won't add your boyfriends name to the birth certificate if he has made it clear he is the father? Of course, that will have to be done in the Netherlands since she was born there, but I am surprised a signed and notarized affadavit from your partner wouldn't suffice. Surely they don't expect you to get married before they will add him to the certificate?

well the dutch embassy needs to give us a paper that has to be shown at the amphur, otherwise the amphur cant marry us.

We want to get married here in Thailand [although Im starting to think getting married in the Netherlands is less of a hassle]

So in order to get that paper from the embassy they ask all of the things iwrote in my previous messgae before they gonna give it to me. so first city hall, than embassy and than amphur...I dont know why they make it so hard in the Netherlands...

Really? They wanted a copy of your birth certificate? I just had to show my passport. Of course that was a long time ago and not the Netherlands.

For your husband to get married in Thailand all he has to show is his ID card to the amphur. And in some ways its much easier in the long run as then you do not have to get your marriage license translated into Thai for your visa extensions when you live here married permanently.

The embassy wants: My birth certificate, a paper from my city hall in the Netherlands to state I was a citizen of the town [both cost around 10 euro's each more if u want them in english]

Yhey want a contract of capacity to marriage, I can get this at my hometown city hall but then my hometown city hall will only give me the paper if i give them a legally translated and approved of by thai foreign affairs and the dutch embassy in Bangkok birth certificate of my bf and a thai paper also translated and approved that he isnt married already.

still with me [im almost lost by now?] I go to the dutch embassy in Bangkok with all of the above and then they will give me this one paper that we need to get married on any amphur and there they only want my pasport, the paper from the embassy and my bf id card.

I dont know why they make it this hard, not my best friends, they wouldnt let my bf come to the Netherlands to be at the birth of his first child because they were affraid he wouldnt go back to Thailand [even though we had all the papers to show he has his own business, owns land and a house and many family members to return too...]

The problem is that to obtain the embassy letter is not just writing down a few lines like it is for most people - some countries require all matter of paperwork from home country first and it seems The Netherlands are extreme and even require paperwork on spouse from home country source.

Well I do get they want some info on my husband to be, but whats a bit over the top if u ask me is for the embassy to demand a paper from the Netherlands that has been approved by the embassy before they can give me another one...they gonna see the same birthcertificate twice for two different papers with the same goal..getting us married...bit much but very Dutch whistling.gif

Children are fined overstay as a thai lady I know was married and living in the states moved back with her child who has a us passport, recently went to japan and was fined the max for living here the last 6 years max overstay fine of 20k at the airport. She thought they didnt either.